The Race Place

New $100 comp thread - Starts Cup Day - Low key - No running commentary - Scores tallied within 24 hours last race

karrotsishere

7 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Moving on 👍

Max would like to see this change from 'movin' to 'moved'.

Its present progressive.

And it wasn't even me that brought it up.

Now I get into trouble. 

Wasn't even remotely thinking about that at all. Was thinking as per previous posts. ALL about tomorrow CUP DAY.

Anyways whateva.

Nite ALL

2 hours ago, Maximus said:

Arrrggghhh ...commiserations Mike, you're making Mx feel bad for moaning about missing a $4k+ multi last week and Douceur getting snouted in the VRC Oaks which would've allowed the Moet to flow chez Max tomorrow and Wed and Sat...!

My own fault Maximus

Spent 1 minute of study

If I had spent 2 minutes then Mogul for a win was a far better idea

I got seduced by Jonny Cox driving

Then he got caught being attacked by a horse he didn't think he could hand up to

Howver he stopped so quick it probably didn't matter how the race was run

Anyway, the winner's bets are on

My multi is on the same as my Competition entry

And I'll get my work done between races!

Mike

• Like 1

Just now, Mike said:

My own fault Maximus

Spent 1 minute of study

If I had spent 2 minutes then Mogul for a win was a far better idea

I got seduced by Jonny Cox driving

Then he got caught being attacked by a horse he didn't think he could hand up to

Howver he stopped so quick it probably didn't matter how the race was run

Anyway, the winner's bets are on

My multi is on the same as my Competition entry

And I'll get my work done between races!

Mike

You're a champ Mike.. let's hope Richie and I can bring home the bacon! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

Was just thinking, cause you brought it up. Re other site some dissing Mango. Can’t think who that might be … 🤔

Are they like talking about things like having a good old moan about something, actually anything is fine just be like lets have a moan. Plus can’t forget got to mock someone or something. Plus talking about something from like 40-50 years ago. Plus lets see, moaning about Covid. Plus moaning about Jacinda & saying Trump won.

Am on I on the money? 😇

Not this time Karrots

It's another nutter

Mike

• Haha 3

New Zealand Trotting Cup 2021: All you need to know about Christchurch's big race day

Stuff sports reporters 0500, Nov 09 2021
TRACKSIDE TV
Race favourite Copy That is left behind at the start as Self Assured wins the 2020 New Zealand Trotting Cup. It's billed as Christchurch’s biggest party but the 2021 version of Addington’s big day will be unusually sober, sombre and dressed down.

Due to the Covid-19 Delta outbreak, New Zealand Trotting Cup organisers had to make the unfortunate call to host harness racing’s big day without a crowd.

Much like Melbourne’s ‘crowdless cup’ last year, attendance at Tuesday’s New Zealand Trotting Cup will be limited to members, corporate partners, owners and workers, with no public permitted.

Mark Purdon and Self Assured pace to victory in the 2020 New Zealand Trotting Cup.
JOSEPH JOHNSON/STUFF
Mark Purdon and Self Assured pace to victory in the 2020 New Zealand Trotting Cup.

Normally there would be 20,000-plus jammed in for the fashion and festivities, although the 2020 Cup was held with slightly reduced numbers due to Covid-19.

Held at Addington Raceway on the second Tuesday of November each year, the $600,000 New Zealand Trotting Cup is the most prestigious and richest harness racing event in the country.

Where to park, fashion faux pas and advice on where to find the best viewing spots are irrelevant this year but we've still got you covered with all the need to know information.

What time does the Cup race start?

The tapes will drop for the 118th running of the Group I New Zealand Trotting Cup at 5.50pm. For betting purposes, the meeting number is eight and the Cup is race number 11.

Members of the public will not be permitted to attend Addington Raceway for the New Zealand Trotting Cup.
JOSEPH JOHNSON/STUFF
Members of the public will not be permitted to attend Addington Raceway for the New Zealand Trotting Cup.

What time is the first race?

The action gets underway at 12.15pm, for the first of 12 races on the day.

How many people will be there?

To quote Christchurch rapper Scribe: not many, if any. Challenges around Covid-19 restrictions mean the 2021 Cup day will be limited to owners, members, corporate partners and workers. A near empty Lindauer rooftop will be an odd sight.

What happens to best-dressed lady and man with no crowd?

Never fear, the popular competition has been shifted online and to entice people to get involved three new categories have been added: contemporary, something blue, and family fun. Details can be found at cupweek.addington.co.nz

Fashion competitions have been taken online this year due to no crowd being at Cup day.
JOSEPH JOHNSON/STUFF
Fashion competitions have been taken online this year due to no crowd being at Cup day.

What will the weather be like?

Near perfect. No rain to speak of, a little cloud cover and a maximum of 19degC, according to the MetService.

Is last year’s winner Self Assured racing?

He's back after his stunning win last year, see below

Who is the Cup favourite?

No 15 Self Assured, the Mark Purdon and Hayden Cullen trained star. He was a three-and-a-half length winner last year and on Monday afternoon was a $2.30 favourite to repeat.

Will he win?

Even after drawing the second line, Self Assured is the clear top pick and stands a great chance of going back-to-back with Copy That ($3.80) rated the main danger.

There won’t be a party at Addington for Cup day this year.
JOSEPH JOHNSON/STUFF
There won’t be a party at Addington for Cup day this year.

Who is the best roughie?

No 6 Classie Brigade and No 16 South Coast Arden look the best chances outside the two favourites but for a dollar or two each way, No 17 Laver is the best longshot hope. He's been blowing his starts lately and is contesting his first Cup, but if he can step away and get luck in the running, he's a first four and place chance and might just be the best blowout hope at odds of 40-1 

How many horses start the race?

There are 15 pacers in the Cup field.

How far is the Cup race?

3200m or two miles. When the field passes the winning post – after starting on the back straight – for the first time they will have two laps to run.

Punters will have to settle for watching the big race on TV this year.
JOSEPH JOHNSON/STUFF
Punters will have to settle for watching the big race on TV this year.

How long will it take?

Just under four minutes. Lazarus holds the race record with a time of 3min 53.1sec.

Is the Cup the last race?

No. The Cup is race 11 and the last race is race 12 at 6.15pm.

It's a massive day for?

Harness racing and the TAB. What will happen to betting turnover? Will those outside the hardcore punters and harness enthusiasts take an interest and spend their hard-earned without being at Addington and getting caught up in the party atmosphere? Time will tell but a record turnover from Kiwi punters on the Melbourne Cup will bring confidence that Cup day will still be a success.

Who is the driver to watch?

Mark Purdon and it’s not even close. He has the drive on Self Assured in the Cup but also steers the favourite for the Group 1 Sires Stakes Final for three-year-old colts and geldings, No 4 Franco Indie, who is paying $1.70 for the win in race eight. In the Group 1 NZ Trotting Free-For-All (race seven), Purdon drives Oscar Bonavena who is third favourite at $4.20. Bolt For Brillance and Majestic Man shared favouritism on Monday afternoon at $2.50 for the win.

Mark Purdon will be the driver to watch in the big races on Cup day.
KAI SCHWOERER/GETTY IMAGES
Mark Purdon will be the driver to watch in the big races on Cup day.

Who is the trainer to watch?

Hard to go past Mark Purdon and Hayden Cullen with so many quality horses in the major races as well as a few on the undercard but what about Cran and Chrissie Dalgety? Invitation Only (No 11 in race four), Krug (No 8 in race five)and Republican Party (No 2 in race eight, the Sires Stakes Final) can all win with an ounce of luck.

Is the Cup the biggest race of the year?

Absolutely. It's the race everyone in harness racing wants to win, no matter if you're a trainer, driver or owner.

How much is the Cup race worth?

Total prizemoney is $600,000, up from last year’s $540,000 but a long way from the $800,000 of 2017 and the $1.2 million it was worth in 2008.

Is the Cup a big deal outside of New Zealand?

No. There's a bit of interest in Australia but harness racing pales in comparison to thoroughbred racing across the Tasman.

Is the Cup the only major race?

To most people yes. But for the racing purists, there are two other Group I races. Race seven is the New Zealand Trotting Free-For-All and race eight is the Sires Stakes Final for three-year-old male pacers.

What's a Group I?

A race that is reserved only for the best of the best. It's difficult just to get into the field for a Group I, and they are the races every trainer, driver and owner wants to be in.

13 hours ago, Dancing Show said:

You're in a good club Karrots ...  my Dad always used to say jokingly Trouble was my middle name.. and would sing.. "how do you solve a problem like Maria?"  🙂    As you say it's all about Cup Day... Letsbringiton !!  🙂 

"it's Trouble with a capital T and that spells Trouble..right here in River City!!
karrots you might have just earned yerself a new moniker.

Cup Day is here...always special. Have a memorable one! 

MM

8 minutes ago, Maximus said:

"it's Trouble with a capital T and that spells Trouble..right here in River City!!
karrots you might have just earned yerself a new moniker.

Are you talking about yourself for not listening to your own words. Max would like to see this change from 'movin' to 'moved'.

Or Smiler for not posting here. Below are Smilers selections. 

$50 Multi #1   $50 Multi #2
M8 Addington Harness R1   M8 Addington Harness R8
5. Andoverlov   4. Franco Indie
FFTOP4   FFWIN
$3.50   $1.60

M8 Addington Harness R2   M8 Addington Harness R9
6. Tornado Banner   5. New York Minute
FFTOP4   FFTOP3
$2.00   $1.90

M8 Addington Harness R3   M8 Addington Harness R10
17. Missalyssa   3. Love N The Port
FFTOP4   FFWIN
$2.20   $2.70

M8 Addington Harness R7   M8 Addington Harness R12
4. The Dominator   9. Mossman
FFTOP4   FFTOP4
$3.60   $5.50

Total Stake:   Total Stake:
$50.00   $50.00
Potential Returns   Potential Returns
$2,772.00   $2,257.20

25 minutes ago, moz1047 said:

Not sure whether I am supposed to post copy of odds (and dont know how anyway 🤪) but

Multi all TOP3

race 2 no 3 @ $1.80

Race 4 No 3 @ $1.60

Race 6 No 6 @ $1.80

Race 11 No 6 @ $2.10

Return $1088.64

Thanks to Organisers

Cheers and Goof Punting All

Hehe. Goof Punting. Sounds like me.

• Haha 1

Less than 2 hours to go til meeting starts. Thought there would be more news pumped out about it.

Here are some questions that will be answered after today last race.

1. Who will take out the drivers challenge?
  2. How many races will All Stars win?
  3. What will we all be talking about tomorrow that happens today if anything?
  4. What will the turnover be?
  5. How many Raceplace members will participate in Enteebees Zoom chat. To find out details go to his thread Cup Day Chat room.
  6. Who will win 2021 NZ CUP?
  7. Will someone outside the All Stars win the Sires?
  8. Will Majestic Man get his 1st G1 glory today?
  9. How will the start go in the NZ CUP?
  10. Who will be at the head of this competitions leader board after todays racing ends?

3 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Less than 2 hours to go til meeting starts. Thought there would be more news pumped out about it.

Here are some questions that will be answered after today last race.

1. Who will take out the drivers challenge?
  2. How many races will All Stars win?
  3. What will we all be talking about tomorrow that happens today if anything?
  4. What will the turnover be?
  5. How many Raceplace members will participate in Enteebees Zoom chat. To find out details go to his thread Cup Day Chat room.
  6. Who will win 2021 NZ CUP?
  7. Will someone outside the All Stars win the Sires?
  8. Will Majestic Man get his 1st G1 glory today?
  9. How will the start go in the NZ CUP?
  10. Who will be at the head of this competitions leader board after todays racing ends?

Well think might know the answer to Q1 now. A demolition driving job here M Purdon.

• Like 2