R3-8

R4-2

R5-5

R6-11

R7-2

R8-12

R9-5

R10-1BB

Thanks P.J. Craig Grylls on fire lately.Hard to think I've backed his father and Grandfather.I dont know if he has any children yet but could possibly

back 4 generations😏

THE GRYLLS' - A RACING LEGACY
There are names and families that are synonymous with racing, names that have created history and have left their own racing legacy.
The name Grylls is instantly recognisable, however before marrying jockey Gary Grylls, the then Leigh Caddy could still be described as being part of a racing dynasty.
"There are five generations of racing on my side" Leigh smiles, "you could say I have been immersed in racing" she laughs, "trainers, jockeys, gates designers, we have had a big involvement in racing."
Leigh grew up in Northland and left for the bigger opportunities of Hamilton. "All I could do in Northland was pick kumaras," she laughs. "I was a good shorthand typist, I took more exams and became a stenographer in the Hamilton Court." This is where racing legacy steps in. She met Gary as her parents had a horse trained with his father, John, who was also a very good jockey in his own right. The husband proved to be a better find than the racehorse however, "the horse was slow" laughs Leigh.
Leigh then applied for the position of stenographer for the Waikato District Stipendiary Committee and did all the typing work for them on racedays; and her first case was more than close to home. "The first suspension I typed up was for Gary, it was so ironic," she remembers. "He wasn't happy that day," she laughs.
Marriage to Gary put an end to her days as a raceday stenographer, as the racing rules at the time did not allow her to be married to a jockey and work in the stipendiary office. Gary and Leigh departed for Singapore, spending 18 months there, regrettably missing the prime opportunities Singapore had to offer at the time. "It was a great experience, but Singapore was just going off the boil, the hay day was over, but it was still a great opportunity to bank some money and set ourselves up" she explains.
Returning to New Zealand, they bought a small farm and their two children arrived soon after, Craig and then two years later Bridget. While Gary continued riding, Leigh focussed on bringing up the children and running their farm, raising calves, agisting horses for a time, with both children learning to ride and sharing that obvious passion and love of the horse.
Enter Gonzo, "a temperamental shetland pony, he was a little shit, if you let him off the lead he would bolt," laughs Leigh, "Craig learnt a fair bit of stickability from old Gonzo, he was a bit of a legend."
Craig was first to venture into the race riding role, following in his dads footsteps. "I rode raceday and completed my NCEA Level 1 at the same time. Once that was done I left school, riding was my passion," explains Craig, who is at the Matamata track at 4.15am each morning, riding up to 15 horses in their work a morning.
"I've been lucky, I've had great opportunities from trainers and owners, and mum and dad have been a huge support, but they have also let me do my own thing, there has been no pressure" says Craig.
Bridget took on a more competitive lead when it came to horses, competing successfully on the showjumping circuit. "Bridget loved competing, she was placed in the Junior Rider Series two years in a row," says Leigh.
When school ended and it was time to pick a career path, race riding wasn't the first choice Leigh and Gary had for Bridget. "We tried to get her to get a degree behind her, that didn't last long," Leigh explains. Bridget picks up the story - "Mum and Dad wanted me to get a qualification outside of racing. I lasted a year," Bridget laughs. "Riding was always a draw, I had watched dad and then Craig, that was all I wanted to do. I wanted to ride and I wanted to win," she says.
And ride and win they both have. A recent Facebook post by Leigh sums up the excitement she gets from flicking across trackside channels to watch how her protégé children are going. "It was a good day for us," wrote the proud mum, as Craig took out the Group 1 Livamol Classic in October and Bridget also riding a winner in Australia. "Gary and I were ecstatic, we watch all the races, Gary gives them both feedback, they have come a long way," says Leigh, acknowledging the achievements of both children.
"Mum texts me after every ride," adds Bridget, "its pretty cool, we are close."
Leigh does admit that its not easy watching her children riding in such a high speed, risky environment. "You worry, yes, but you can't focus on it too much, or it begins to feel like you are waiting for something to happen and you can't do that, it consumes you," she explains when asked about the injuries involved in the sport. "I have jumped out of chair quite a few times when things have gone wrong, no matter what jockey it is, it's a real community, we all feel it," she explains. "But nothing beats the congratulatory phone calls when they have a big day, we are so proud."
Watching her kids add to their winning totals is not Leigh's only involvement in racing. She is the secretary at the Waipa Racing Club, and also races a horse that her and Gary bred, an ‘El Hermano’ gelding that has been aptly named ‘Bear’, a play to the adventure survivalist "Bear Grylls".
"We had a second with ‘Bear’ the other day, he might make the grade, it was pretty cool having Craig riding our horse," she adds.
Her role at the Waipa Racing Club keeps her busy, but she loves the challenge and the involvement in raceday. "I love my role, getting the sponsorship, meeting with people, a smooth raceday, it’s in my blood, I just know it," she says with a sense of satisfaction that she is in her niche.
There is life outside of racing too, Gary and Leigh both enjoy a game of golf, not living far from the local course, meeting up with friends for a game and a quiet drink.
"When we get home it’s straight to trackside though, reading the papers, checking the form, talking to the kids, that will never change. I am so proud of what we have achieved, we've certainly left our mark," she smiles, pleased to have been part of a New Zealand racing dynasty.
  • Like 4

DRAW: 

Hesi v Jen

Steve P v Sharne

Tom v Rusty

Roland v Graeme

Robert v Jill

Jamison v Ian

Pete v Ziggy

Midnight Caller v Geoff

Rob v Stevie N

Lightning Blue v Richie