The Race Place

INTERDOMINION 2021

Lightning Blue

4 hours ago, Double R said:

1. Hondo Grattan.

2. A.D.(Tony) Turnbull.

3. The first horse to defend his title, by winning back to back Interdominions in 1973+1974

Quiz day sees Robert correct once again naming the 'Bathurst Bulldog' as the first Dual champion Hondo Grattan.

Double R has broken the barrier strand on his 6 hour handicap though. (starting 6 hours ahead of most) when spose to be 6 hours BEHIND Robert , so you are fined the 3 points after a stipe review.

Hondo Grattan had a go at travelling to Nz in the next series and came 'unstuck' in a big way. 

Bonus Questions!!. Who is this that smashed Hondo in Nz,  and his trainer / driver for 2 points !!!  (Not you Robert)

DSC02557.JPG

54 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Quiz day sees Robert correct once again naming the 'Bathurst Bulldog' as the first Dual champion

I was at Harold Park as a twenty year old living in Sydney and watched the whole series . Brilliant stuff, and packed to the gunnels with people on the whole course ,it was something I have never experienced since. 

Some Italians I got talking to had backed Hondo at incredible odds before the series and cleaned up bigtime . They were in the know, as he realised his potential ,although Royal Ascot was really stiff losing the Final.

Horses like Arapaho, Manaroa, Royal Ascot etc representing NZ. 

I made a poultice for a youngster , backing Precocious a Kiwi trotter and one of my early follows, in the Trotters Grand Final off a 36mtr hcp. Used to go to Harold Park every Frid night, and have to work again the next week to make it all back up again. Although I remember making a few hundred off of another Kiwi horse ,Kiwi Lad who led all the way and paid 16,s. Those were the days.

I also worked as a plumber for a Scottish guy from Harbord and we were working in Glebe around the time of the Series, on terraced houses.  Now Glebe is one of the oldest areas and full of little back alleys and small narrow roads. One day while standing in one of those alleys a horse and gig appeared with a driver loping along slowly, and we passed greetings ad on he went. I didn't realise it at the time but I found out late that Turnbull used the back alleys to keep Hondo moving and up to speed,it was in the news, and in some of the articles written about the series. So I was staring at the Inter Champion. Little bit of history and fond memory.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Double R said:

Must admit Blackie, there were a lot of breakers up ahead, and got a saloon passage through the field,

Yeah he was very lucky to win that one . Some carnage knocked out some very good runners and handed it to him. He came here but was smashed as was everyone else was by Young Quinn in a year of wins that has to be one of the best ever. For me he is still second only to Cardigan Bay. 

1 minute ago, Globederby19 said:

Must have been lucky to win that one six times:classic_blink:

Well he did have 4 Wins in the 1975 series!!! . Clean sweep of the Heats and Final. The Mighty Quinn. !!!!! whata ripper.

John Langdon filling in for Charlie in the Grand Final after a smash in a supporting race gave Charlie an injury.

Have to agree very close to 2nd To Cardigan Bay , with the fantastic Wins in America. Probably Lazarus the other fine horse to get in the mix. Laz had a little American form but also 2 x BIG NZ Cup wins , whereas Quinny only got 2 x placings in the Cup. (but did Win a Miracle mile ) 

2 points to Globe !. Leader Board is ( Double R 9, Globe 3, and Blackie and Enteebee 2 points)

DSC02559.JPG

6 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

whereas Quinny only got 2 x placings in the Cup. (but did Win a Miracle mile ) 

He won it off the 6 alley. Unheard of. In fact I think he won 21 times that year , (Robert might be able to correct me). And he won in both America and Canada, with I think a best time of 1.55 and up against some top horses. 

I think the race that defines his sheer ability was his 4th in the Auckland Cup as a ten yr old after limited prep and only one lead in race. Delightful Lady, Lord Module etc so it was a top field. Really great horse.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

I think the race that defines his sheer ability was his 4th in the Auckland Cup as a ten yr old after limited prep and only one lead in race. Delightful Lady, Lord Module etc so it was a top field. Really great horse.

I was there that night , and got to see Young Quinn once in my lifetime!!!!  and what a grand run it was.

Against NZ Cup winner Lord Module (2nd), Auckland Cup winner and Interdom 2nd placegetter 1979 in SAPLING from 1979 (3rd). AND the Winner !! DELIGHTFUL LADY , the horse I saw win more races than any other. !!! what a Cup that was.

Quinny a very good 4th !!!!!!!!!!!

That race only 2nd for me, to Gammalite and Popular Alm in the 1983 Interdom final as the best race ever I was ever at IMO. The 2 Ozzies pushing Delightful Lady back to 3rd spot on her home turf in 1983 Interdominion Grand Final. An amazing moment in time. 

DSC02560.JPG

8 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

I was there that night , and got to see Young Quinn once in my lifetime!!!!  and what a grand run it was.

Against NZ Cup winner Lord Module (2nd), Auckland Cup winner and Interdom 2nd placegetter 1979 in SAPLING from 1979 (3rd). AND the Winner !! DELIGHTFUL LADY , the horse I saw win more races than any other. !!! what a Cup that was.

Quinny a very good 4th !!!!!!!!!!!

That race only 2nd for me, to Gammalite and Popular Alm in the 1983 Interdom final as the best race ever I was ever at IMO. The 2 Ozzies pushing Delightful Lady back to 3rd spot on her home turf in 1983 Interdominion Grand Final. An amazing moment in time. 

DSC02560.JPG

At one stage I had a share in the first horse, Judson Hanover, that beat Young Quinn in a trial. That was it. One start at the races, and then we got him, but didn't have the temperament to be a racehorse.

2 hours ago, Double R said:

At one stage I had a share in the first horse, Judson Hanover, that beat Young Quinn in a trial. That was it. One start at the races, and then we got him, but didn't have the temperament to be a racehorse.

I backed Quinnie at his first start, on the back of some useful trial form, and a small booklet that was printed in those days that gave out potential winners on breeding and trials for both gallopers and harness.  He wasn't to be denied and got up to beat Marc Bohan on the line. The rest is history.

As a footnote ,that booklet labelled Young Ida as a potential stakes race winner . It duly won at Trentham as a maiden in the Oaks (I think) and paid a fortune. I was there to see it, and two other horses won that day Hoodoo, and Curly Wave on a wet WGTN dayand combined with Young Ida I think the treble would have paid off the national debt.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 5:07 PM, Globederby19 said:

I remember the great Lyall  Creek had a 55mtr handicap in the  Trotters Interdominion.?

Todays QUIZ Question ; LYELL CREEK a fine Interdominion winner in the trotting section

Question 1 / Name his Trainer and Driver (when racing Nz and Australia)

Question 2 / name any of their other INTERDOMINION Grand Final Winners. 

(6 hour handicap DoubleR lol) if anyone knows only one answer throw it in anyway, and get a point.

'Team LYELL CREEK' now hot favourite for the harness Comp starting Sunday!!!!  by a strange co-incidence. You and I and Happy Sunrise now in same team, attempting to emulate the fine record of Trot Interdominion winner Lyell Creek. DoubleR Robert  in team Robalan might be struggling against the Freak Team lol....  

How good was he . Creek the Freak ........Seems he went on a 3 year run of 30 consecutive wins (with 1 x 3rd placing in the Nz Trot FFA in the middle somewhere) and then 20 wins from 60 starts in America. 

1 hour ago, Lightning Blue said:

Todays QUIZ Question ; LYELL CREEK a fine Interdominion winner in the trotting section

Question 1 / Name his Trainer and Driver (when racing Nz and Australia)

Question 2 / name any of their other INTERDOMINION Grand Final Winners. 

(6 hour handicap DoubleR lol) if anyone knows only one answer throw it in anyway, and get a point.

'Team LYELL CREEK' now hot favourite for the harness Comp starting Sunday!!!!  by a strange co-incidence. You and I and Happy Sunrise now in same team, attempting to emulate the fine record of Trot Interdominion winner Lyell Creek. DoubleR Robert  in team Robalan might be struggling against the Freak Team lol....  

How good was he . Creek the Freak ........Seems he went on a 3 year run of 30 consecutive wins (with 1 x 3rd placing in the Nz Trot FFA in the middle somewhere) and then 20 wins from 60 starts in America. 

No, I am not going to answer the question.

I certainly agree LB, most teams will struggle against your line up. The rest of us will be left to squabble over the scraps.

A side light about Robalan. When he first started racing, one commentator called him, Robe A Lan.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Josias said:

Q1.Tim Butt & Anthony Butt

Q2.In addition to 'Creek The Freak' WON with Take A Moment x twice & Mr Feelgood.

40 minutes ago, Double R said:

A side light about Robalan.

Josias storms into the picture racking up the perfect 4 points.  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  well done.

Just before YOUNG QUINN won his Auckland Interdominion 1975 , he had stromed away by 10 Lengths in the Auckland Cup. making him a hot favourite for the series. ROBALAN had defeated him down at Addington in NZ cup a little earlier though in fine style. 

ROBALAN (the free legged wonder horse) was 2nd   , and JOSIAS (unplaced) also ran in that Auckland Cup !!!!  

quiz points tally ( DoubleR 9, Josias 4, Globe D 3, Blackie 2, Enteebee 2 )

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

and JOSIAS (unplaced) also ran in that Auckland Cup !!!!  

Yes Lightning Blue,whilst JOSIAS was an also ran in that Auckland Cup,shortly after he recorded a feat I have not seen repeated at Alex Park since.

He ran in both main races on the card,which formed the TAB Double.

1st Leg,WON,defeating 'the showy chestnut' Captain Harcourt.

2nd Leg,SECOND behind a classy mare Marie Gibbons.

So,JOSIAS completed The TAB Concession Double.🤑

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Josias said:

Yes Lightning Blue,whilst JOSIAS was an also ran in that Auckland Cup,shortly after he recorded a feat I have not seen repeated at Alex Park since.

Captain Harcourt was  gorgeous looking horse. 

Did he win an Auckland Cup driven by Tommy Knowles or is my memory playing tricks?

32 minutes ago, Josias said:

They were his last two starts I think, not sure if he went overseas. Good horse by Lumber Dream , same as Robalan.

1 hour ago, pete said:

Captain Harcourt was  gorgeous looking horse. 

Did he win an Auckland Cup driven by Tommy Knowles or is my memory playing tricks?

Hi Josias,

I have a feeling Hi Foyle ran in consecutive races at Alexandra Park. Certainly not a common thing in the last thirty years.

It was quite normal in the 50's and 60's for horses to run in the main race, and start again in a mile and a quarter/2000 metres in the last race of the day.

Cheers.

Robert.

Edited by Double R
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Double R said:

Hi Josias,

I have a feeling Hi Foyle ran in consecutive at Alexandra Park. Certainly not a common thing in the last thirty years.

It was quite normal in the 50's and 60's for horses to run in the main race, and start again in a mile and a quarter/2000 metres in the last race of the day.

Cheers.

Robert.

On checking Hi Foyle actually had four races in a week, ie. two races each night, and one of them was over 3200 metres. He was a real iron horse.

4 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I personally prefer being a 15-1 outsider in a galloping comp...

I'm looking forward to the Interdom heats tonight at Bathurst, and have taken 5 x $5 Quinellas for a laugh .  

Taking numbers 1 and 2 in all five heats to take advantage of the good draws lol.  taking the advantage of barriers, would be good,  but King of Swing and Expensive Ego probably blaze across from wide draws and 'torch' em ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

I'm looking forward to the Interdom heats tonight at Bathurst, and have taken 5 x $5 Quinellas for a laugh .  

Taking numbers 1 and 2 in all five heats to take advantage of the good draws lol.  taking the advantage of barriers, would be good,  but King of Swing and Expensive Ego probably blaze across from wide draws and 'torch' em ?

Robyns Playboy will get his chance. Hope he goes well for Kiwi Connections. I like Line Up after his tough fighting 3rd. Draws much better tonight. 

• Like 1