The Race Place

Ajaz Patel

pete

It is also the first time a bowler has taken 10 wickets in the first innings.  The other 10 wicket takers, both spinners, were Jim Laker and Anil Kumble, who achieved it in the second innings, when a wearing pitch would have given more assistance to a spinner

Took 10 wickets in an innings, and does not get man of the match

I note people saying his feat of taking 10 wickets, is up there with the best sporting achievements in NZ sport history.

I think his achievement is an extraordinary anomaly, something that can occur in cricket, but not very often, but to compare him to people like Peter Snell and Richard Hadlee, I don't think so.

He is 33, at the back end of his career, 11 tests for 43 wickets.  Snell and Hadlee  performed for many years, always at the top of their game in their chosen sport

6 hours ago, Hesi said:

Took 10 wickets in an innings, and does not get man of the match

I note people saying his feat of taking 10 wickets, is up there with the best sporting achievements in NZ sport history.

I think his achievement is an extraordinary anomaly, something that can occur in cricket, but not very often, but to compare him to people like Peter Snell and Richard Hadlee, I don't think so.

He is 33, at the back end of his career, 11 tests for 43 wickets.  Snell and Hadlee  performed for many years, always at the top of their game in their chosen sport

From a career perspective, it doesn't compare to the Hadlee/Snell achievements.

But as a single sporting achievement, it is right up there. It is obviously an extremely difficult and unlikely thing to achieve and shows the difficulty good sides can have in India.

You have to remember that NZ are the current (and first ever test champions), which actually makes the achievement even greater. It is far easier to take 10 wickets if you are a star playing among a bunch of muppets, than if you are a often bit player playing in a high quality team (even if Boult wasn't playing).

So from the perspective of the performance alone (and not looking at it from a career perspective), I would say it is certainly one of the best cricketing achievements anyway. And probably one of the best NZ sporting achievements across all sports imo.

(Not to mention getting the best total test match bowling figures ever for a test in India).

And a certain element of luck.  You have to remember, there was another bowler at the other end while Patel was bowling his 47.5 overs.

Also, the pitch gave Patel a huge amount of assistance, to the extent it allowed the Indian bowlers, mainly spinners to bowl NZ out twice for 229 runs.

I doubt he will ever take 5 wickets in an innings for the rest of his career

38 minutes ago, Hesi said:

And a certain element of luck.  You have to remember, there was another bowler at the other end while Patel was bowling his 47.5 overs.

Also, the pitch gave Patel a huge amount of assistance, to the extent it allowed the Indian bowlers, mainly spinners to bowl NZ out twice for 229 runs.

I doubt he will ever take 5 wickets in an innings for the rest of his career

The luck you just described is the reason it is very difficult. You have other bowlers trying to get wickets at the same time. Yet couldn't even get one. There are hundreds of test matches where a bowler is advantaged - yet this has only happened 3 times ever. And NZ did have another spin bowler in use during that innings.

It is irrelevant to the performance whether he ever takes 5 wickets again - you seem to be diminishing one performance by virtue of what the career has delivered (or will). 

I don't think he is anywhere near our very best cricketers career wise, but the single performance, it rates very high to me, and probably better than Hadlee's 9 for (imo) - because it is the pinnacle - you can't get more.