The Race Place

Ashes -Brissie

Maximus

17 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Dont know what Smith's put in his coffee or how much he's had of it, but I dont think he'll be there for long.

Good call Max. he was like a cat on a hot tin roof. It is about 31 degrees to boot. so think he cooked quickly lol.

It's as steamy as a 'jockeys sauna' in Brissy , and they are sure to get the storm come through like yesterday shortly.

• Like 1

Well picked, he is gone

I love watching Ashes cricket, but it is very disappointing to find a commentary dominated by biased Aussie commentators.  Only Michael Vaughan to rescue it.

Warne is a redneck of magnanimous proportions these days, Mark Waugh and Adam Gilchrist trying hard to emulate, Border is fairly neutral and Kerry O'Keefe is as dry(but funny) as a piece of bread that has been in the fridge for 6 months.

I note also, that all of the match officials are Aussie, and that when Warner was bowled by Stokes, and subsequently recalled by the third umpire on a no ball, the previous 3 balls Stokes bowled, were no balls, but not called????

Fox Sports commentary team

• Adam Gilchrist – ex-Australia wicket-keeper with 416 Test dismissals
  • Shane Warne – 708 Test wickets for Australia
  • Mark Waugh – ex-Australia batsman with 20 Test centuries
  • Kerry O’Keeffe – former Australia spin bowler, 53 wickets in 24 Tests
  • Michael Vaughan – ex-England captain, 5719 runs in 82 Tests
  • Allan Border – Australia captain for record 93 straight Test matches

well observed Hes-imeister, Max was unaware of previous Stokesian transgressions. Great that Warner was pout for less than 100  couldnt bear to see him do his pathetic leap-in-the-air-while-thrashing-the-bat-around-in-delirious-delight crap. If Max had  been in charge of the disciplinary panel he and Schmidt woulda never played Test cricket again. 

Absorbing day's play; Head brilliant as the wicket settles; think Root could've been more aggressive with field placings.

MM

Stokes was quite entitled to think that his bowling run up was on the mark, when 3 apparent no balls were not called.  Had they been called, he would have adjusted accordingly, such that the wicket delivery was not a no ball.

Bears more scrutiny, as to why the TV umpire, Aussie Paul Wilson, missed 3 prior consecutive no balls, but called the wicket ball over the line

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Stokes was quite entitled to think that his bowling run up was on the mark, when 3 apparent no balls were not called.  Had they been called, he would have adjusted accordingly, such that the wicket delivery was not a no ball.

Bears more scrutiny, as to why the TV umpire, Aussie Paul Wilson, missed 3 prior consecutive no balls, but called the wicket ball over the line

only 1 problemo with that theory Hesi...if Stokes had adjusted the run=up the wicket ball would not have landed where it did! one of those unfathomable wotifs of the game. 

Head is the man of the hour and has made it nigh impossible for England to win and only rain or a 450+ 3rd innings will keep them remotely competitive. Stokes looks and acts short of a few gallops; Root's captaincy is too laidback for my liking and Leach looks like yum-yum material - as all thise 6s showeos. Broad must be quietly poking the bone at the selectors. Wood and Robinson were impressive at times.

A great day for the Ozzies -oi-oi-oi.

MM

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hesi said:

Surely the umpire equally missed the no balls. Does the 3rd umpire check for no balls every delivery - or only when there is a suspected wicket?

The NZ tests in India were controlled by an all Indian panel from memory. Probably due to current travel issues.

Australian great Ricky Ponting has taken aim at the quality of umpiring after a breakdown in technology led to a spate of missed no-balls that, if called, could have averted Ben Stokes’s costly overstep on a wicket ball to David Warner.

As many as 14 no-balls from Stokes were not called in the first session, as it emerged there was a fault in the cameras placed side-on to the crease to help the video umpire detect bowlers who overstep.

Though Stokes has only himself to blame for not keeping any part of his front foot behind the crease when he bowled Warner on 17, he may have checked his run-up if any of the three previous no-balls had been called by Tucker.

Too much of an intrusion of technology for my liking, with the no ball.  If it is not called on field, then the decision should not be able to be overturned.  In many cases, we are talking about a few centimetres , with part of the front foot landing behind the line.  Makes absolutely no difference to the quality of the delivery

Interesting that the technology had supposedly broken down, to the extent 14 no balls were not called, yet the wicket ball was able to be reviewed by the technology.  The wicket ball, the foot was clearly well over the line, yet even then the on field umpire did not call it

17 hours ago, craigos1 said:

What a great day the 3rd day was.

Root and Malan batted very well to knock of a lot of the deficit.

Australia still in front but English batsmen have closed the gap!

4th day should be just as intriguing , 1st session very important to both teams.

All over and the Bar Shouting has started.  Party time in Brissy for Saturday afternoon. 

Pom's didn't play 'Anderson' or 'Broad' bowling so were savaged accordingly . Stokes looked quite un-fit for Poms as well. Could be a 5-0 hammering this Ashes series.

• Like 1

Once Malan & Root went early the rest of the English Team offered little.

With an old ball Cameron Green bowled well as did Nathan Lyon bringing up his 400th Wicket.

Before series started I thought 3-2 Australia and I'll stick with that.

Adelaide & now Hobart for England.

Day night test will be fascinating with Anderson & Broad back , the final session each day will be riveting.

• Like 2

Lots of fines going on, about slow over rates and Head swearing, from that old pisshead Boon, how funny

Broad(524 wickets, 6th on all time wicket takers), Anderson 632/3rd, must make a huge difference.

Anything please, that takes the biased cockiness away from those Aussie commentators.  

It has sort of spoiled the event, I'm not sure why they are not there, but Nasser Hussain, David Gower and Mike Atherton, know the game well and are a lot more objective in their commentary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Anything please, that takes the biased cockiness away from those Aussie commentators.  

It has sort of spoiled the event, I'm not sure why they are not there, but Nasser Hussain, David Gower and Mike Atherton, know the game well and are a lot more objective in their commentary.

Can't say I agree or disagree with that Hesi, as I love my cricket and been watching Brisbane here decades. ( My Son Matt went along dressed up with the Richies actually (hopefully you know what that is) , and was in a team playing the Barmy Army for Charity in the evenings too!!  BA won unfortunately.

Regarding the commentary, I was feeling I wish they would shut up too, as Ponting and Matt Hayden (famous son of QLD cricket) were extra super critical of the bowling choices being made by our new Aussie captain ALL the TIME. so were making him look like a mug to the neutral eye. Just because he wasn't doing what they wanted.

Lord IAN BOTHAM was the 'guest' commentator, and has done months of cocky lead-up ad's on tele. He was 'quiet as a mouse' through the test , as got HAMMERED . 

Justice (or at least a flogging anyway)  is Served. 5-0 on the cards all going well lol..............

Yes, that would be the Richie Benaud mob

I don't think Cummins is captaincy material, trouble is, they have run out of options.  The sexter, who wasn't a captain also has gone, Smith no, Warner no.  That leaves some of the up and comers like Head and Labuschagne, but some of those old boys ain't going to listen to them.

Does anyone know what has happened to Hussain, Atherton and Gower as commentators.  They added a real rich colour to the fabric of telling the story.  I'm afraid Warne, Waugh and Gilchrist are mediocre by comparison, but okay when the Poms are thrown in.  I like Isa Guha, but she struggles against the old ocker brigade.

You'd be able to tell me then, what a googly is

• Like 1

Max only supports the Poms when they are playing Australia - two reasons.

• Cheats should never prosper and the sight of Smith and Warner batting in Test cricket is not right.
  • Oz commentators are so jingoistic Max has to reach for the mute button. 

How on earth the on-field umpire could miss that Stokes no-ball is beyond me. Was he asleep? Blinded by the light? Looking the other way?

All done and dusted now and the Pomeranians got what they deserved after batting so poorly in the first dig. For a while Max thought they might cop 150+ lead to make it interesting but Root's wicket early was the killer blow. Not impressed with either of the Pommie openers, appeared to lack confidence. Where is the positivity, even a little touch of swagger from anyone. When Botham walked out to bat (back in the day), his body language said "I'm gonna smash you guys around the park."

IMO the most impressive player on display is Marnus Labushagne. 

MM 

15 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Yes, that would be the Richie Benaud mob

I don't think Cummins is captaincy material, trouble is, they have run out of options.  The sexter, who wasn't a captain also has gone, Smith no, Warner no.  That leaves some of the up and comers like Head and Labuschagne, but some of those old boys ain't going to listen to them.

Does anyone know what has happened to Hussain, Atherton and Gower as commentators.  They added a real rich colour to the fabric of telling the story.  I'm afraid Warne, Waugh and Gilchrist are mediocre by comparison, but okay when the Poms are thrown in.  I like Isa Guha, but she struggles against the old ocker brigade.

You'd be able to tell me then, what a googly is

a Googly is a person so obsessed with Google that he'll look up on Google anything, even the definition of 'googly', a cricketing term that means ...oh, look it up yer own self LOL

a googly is a spin delivery that turns the other way - ie  a right arm leg-spinner normally bowls a ball that breaks from leg to off stump (ie away from a right-hand batsman), a googly (or 'wrong'un)' does the opposite, so can deceive a batsman by turning the other way (from off to leg).

When bowled by a left-arm wrist spinner to a right-hand batsman, the delivery breaks from off to leg .. and for many years was called a 'Chinaman' ..(cos a West Indian player of Chinese extraction called Ellis Achong first bowled it!). But someone kicked up a fuss recently about the offensive term and, like most of the chances the Poms got at Brissie, it's been dropped.

Or something like that.

MM

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Max only supports the Poms when they are playing Australia - two reasons.

• Cheats should never prosper and the sight of Smith and Warner batting in Test cricket is not right.

I guess you are talking about the Ball tampering Max.??  Don't forget Smith was only involved because he was captain of the team. He didn't actually do anything.

BUT They have prospered ok , as have retained the Ashes in 2019 with a drawn series in England. And very likely to Win again . wahoo !!

But the MOST Hypocritical thing I've ever seen is this 'Ball tampering' thing.  They ALL tamper with the ball every match !!!!!!! lol.

shining their pants greatly lol...as they RUB -rub -rub- trying to get the ball to do things it otherwise wouldn't . BALL TAMPERING that is IMO.

Couple of scratches on it, and Suddenly  Everyone carrys on like the World is Ending ??????????   leave that to covid I reckon.

Warner thinking of Sandpaper , and then getting a Junior team member to do it .  hahaha classic!!   what a hoot really. 

. We used to just rub the ball hard over a 'non smooth' trouser button in grade cricket. and who cares ??

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

a googly is a spin delivery that turns the other way - ie  a right arm leg-spinner normally bowls a ball that breaks from leg to off stump (ie away from a right-hand batsman), a googly (or 'wrong'un)' does the opposite, so can deceive a batsman by turning the other way (from off to leg).

When bowled by a left-arm wrist spinner to a right-hand batsman, the delivery breaks from off to leg .. and for many years was called a 'Chinaman' ..(cos a West Indian player of Chinese extraction called Ellis Achong first bowled it!). But someone kicked up a fuss recently about the offensive term and, like most of the chances the Poms got at Brissie, it's been dropped.

Or something like that.

MM

I suppose that is close enough

The key thing, is that a googly is bowled by a leg spinner with exactly the same apparent action, except the googly ball comes out the back of the hand, which means the hand is facing upwards when the ball is released, so that as the fingers tweak the ball, it is spinning as per an off spin ball.

It is this deception, that if done well, fools the batsmen into believing they are just getting another leg spin ball.

Easier said than done, harder to control the ball with this action, so accuracy is compromised by other than the very best, such as Warne

10 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

I guess you are talking about the Ball tampering Max.??  Don't forget Smith was only involved because he was captain of the team. He didn't actually do anything.

BUT They have prospered ok , as have retained the Ashes in 2019 with a drawn series in England. And very likely to Win again . wahoo !!

But the MOST Hypocritical thing I've ever seen is this 'Ball tampering' thing.  They ALL tamper with the ball every match !!!!!!! lol.

shining their pants greatly lol...as they RUB -rub -rub- trying to get the ball to do things it otherwise wouldn't . BALL TAMPERING that is IMO.

Couple of scratches on it, and Suddenly  Everyone carrys on like the World is Ending ??????????   leave that to covid I reckon.

Warner thinking of Sandpaper , and then getting a Junior team member to do it .  hahaha classic!!   what a hoot really. 

. We used to just rub the ball hard over a 'non smooth' trouser button in grade cricket. and who cares ??

Don't forget Smith was only involved because he was captain of the team. He didn't actually do anything.

Well LB, that remark of yours just about sums up everything that was wrong about Ozzie cricket in 2018. You are making excuses for inexcusable behaviour
by the CAPTAIN OF ALL AUSTRALIA. Smith knew about the sandpaper trick and DID NOTHING...except maybe hope and pray they didnt get caught.
His job was to stop it from happening; so don't try to downplay his role in it. The actions of Warner and Bancroft, known and condoned by their captain, were completely against the spirit of the game - and you know it! Rubbing the ball on an article of clothing is allowed, so dont try and equate those kinds of actions with taking a wad of sandpaper onto the pitch concealing it in your pants/hands and using it on the ball.

Allow me to repeat; seeing Smith and Warner batting in the Ashes is deeply ungratifying; if they hadn't been caught they'd be doing it still. 

Edited by Maximus

10 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

Cricket Australia findings

Warner was found to be responsible for the development of the plan to alter the condition of the ball and instructing Bancroft on how to do it, including demonstrating the technique to him. He was also found to have failed to prevent the plan being implemented, misled match officials by concealing his knowledge of the plan and not voluntarily reporting his involvement. 

Smith was found to have known of the plan but failed to take steps to prevent it, told Bancroft to conceal the sandpaper in his trousers, misled match officials and others regarding Bancroft's attempts to artificially alter the condition of the ball, and made misleading public comments regarding the nature, extent and participants of the plan. 

Bancroft was found to be a party to the plan to tamper with the ball, that he carried out Warner's instructions, tried to conceal the evidence and made statements to mislead match officials and the public. 

All 3 players accepted culpability