The Race Place

Johnny Nevits late scratching 10-12-21

Rusty

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

Wait just re-read this bit, really, so the threat is to multiple peeps? Multiple owners. Goodness me, if that is correct. 

it is - one of my friends and former syndicate member has a private email address and can only have come through the owners database.  Another owner as well that I know of. But no action against the two admins of the page who said far worse.  The latest letter is just to me.

8 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I think some harness people are reacting fiercely because they are tired of having their sport put through the ringer by the likes Alford, Anderson and Kerr. There has been too much skullduggery (perceived and otherwise) in recent times and too many performances too good to be true.

That's exactly it in a nutshell Happy.

Fair and reasonable people are justifiably reacting fiercely to the nonsense that is occuring in our sport. 

And a lot of these good harness folk you refer to, work in the industry. It's their job. It's their employment. It's their livelihood. They have skin in the game. And when some people cheat in the game, it costs them financially. And it costs the sport dearly too, because it's reputation cops a hammering in mainstream media. The media are only doing their job, and more often than not, they are reporting just the facts. There's no opinion in it. Certainly when they have been covering the likes of Anderson, Kerr and Alford anyway. 

A number of hardworking industry participants also suspect the skullduggery you make mention of. A smaller number, don't merely suspect it, they believe it (through a variety of reasons). In most cases however, they are unable to provide the authorities with the evidence required to take the matter further. 

Innocent until proven guilty, our society preaches. Fair enough. Other common sayings are where there is smoke, there is fire. And perception is reality. Both also true at times. 

And that's the other reason why so many harness racing fans are unhappy. Perception. When they are mixing in other social circles, or settings (eg workplace, or sports clubs, social/family events and gatherings), and the topic of harness racing comes up, what is the perception of the racing game, to non-racing enthusiasts? Well, if they have read the mainstream newspapers in recent times, it certainly paints the industry, our industry, in a very, very dim light indeed. 

All of this is starting to put people off harness racing, if they are already in the game in some capacity, and it's certainly not helping to attract new players.

An already dying sport is slowly but surely getting killed off. So anyone with a smidgen of a passion for harness racing, are quite rightly reacting fiercely. Because if they don't, we may as well pack up now, and we can race for ribbons between us on Sunday afternoons. 

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How & why has this horse got a start at Ashburton Thursday Jonny N? After being involved in the last saga Alford & was reported as being injected by Alford. With latest reports that allege there was a needle found, this was reported by the Star & Profit. How does it get a start? - Surely this horse needs some R & R! 

Goodness if the RIB can't get anything from an alleged needle, a betting plunge, amongst other things, then they are just not being sneaky enough. Perhaps its time they brought in some females into their force. Females have a natural tack & can be quite sneaky & are apparently more perceptive than males. Especially at catching cheaters. 

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Edited by karrotsishere

22 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

How & why has this horse got a start at Ashburton Thursday Jonny N?

Any trainer charged with something is allowed to continue until the penalty is given. Same for a horse I presume. Hence, he starts. Takes balls to start him in my opinion though.

Poor Johnny Nevits. This horse has been through it all. If horses could write, he would write a bestseller named 'Johnny B Goode' Somehow 'Johnny Injected' is too obvious.

When I read through this article again about Alford from the ODT I am appalled. 7 years should have been 70.

Disgraced Canterbury harness racing trainer Jesse Alford has received a seven-year ban for horse doping offences as the crackdown on illegal activity in the industry continues.

The Judicial Control Authority for Racing released the sentence today, barring the 30-year-old from the industry for seven years as of yesterday.

Alford previously pleaded guilty to injecting Jimmy Cannon and Johnny Nevits with the prohibited substance formalin shortly before they were due to start at Addington Raceway on February 25.

Racing Integrity Unit investigators placed a surveillance camera at Alford’s Woodend Beach stable before they raided the property moments after Alford injected both horses with a dose of formalin, containing about 10 per cent formaldehyde, a chemical used to embalm corpses.    

Formalin is used to treat internal bleeding, but is banned in New Zealand because it can harm a horse’s cardiovascular system. Jimmy Cannon subsequently died on April 13, Harness Racing New Zealand reported.

Alford also admitted attempting to ‘tube’ Johnny Nevits with bicarbonate soda and water - a process known within the industry as a ‘milkshake’ designed to boost a horse’s stamina.

RIU investigators believe Alford would have injected a third horse, Motor Mouth, had they not intervened.

A search of the stables revealed a bucket of tubing gear, including a rubber hose and plastic funnel, several empty syringes in a wheelie bin, a third syringe loaded with formalin and a two-litre container half-filled with the chemical.

At a penalty hearing before the JCA at Addington Raceway last Wednesday, the RIU sought a nine-year ban, which factored in a 25 per cent reduction for Alford’s early guilty plea.

The maximum punishment was a life ban and $30,000 fine.

Instead a JCA committee imposed a seven-year ban, working back from a nine-year starting point due to a range of mitigating factors, according to a judgement released by committee chairman Alan Harper.

These factors included: Although initially in a denial the Respondent (Alford) quickly admitted the inevitable; a guilty plea was entered early on and (Alford) is remorseful for his actions, even though this remorse came after apprehension.

Alford also had a “clear record” within the industry, even though he has only been licenced for only a relatively short period of time.

The committee also considered a number of favourable character references for Alford, who had been a licenced trainer for two years.

At the penalty hearing the RIU said a scan of betting records for the New Zealand Metropolitan Trotting Club meeting identified several significant bets on Johnny Nevits and Motor Mouth, who shortened from $9 to win to $2.80 before it was scratched.

During the raid Alford asked investigators: “What made you guys come out here today? Was it the betting?”

The RIU launched its investigation after being tipped off that Alford was using banned substances on horses.

RIU counsel Michael Hodge described Alford’s offending as “top end”.

“(It) conforms to the very worst stereotypes ... against the industry – that it’s rigged and trainers cheat, that it’s harmful to the welfare of animals. Those stereotypes are wrong, they’re unfair, they're not representative or accurate,” Hodge said.

The RIU argued there were several aggravating features to Alford’s offending, including the type of substance used and the serious impact it could have had on the horses’ health.

“It (formalin) is so harmful to animal welfare there have not been any studies into the effects of its intravenous administration – nor can there be, no ethics committee would approve such a trial,” Hodge said.

Alford’s lawyer, Kerry Cook, had advocated a disqualification period of four years while Alford told the JCA panel he was remorseful and a ban would have a “massive impact” on his life and family.

Alford is the second high-profile Canterbury harness trainer to be banned for doping horses since July last year, following Nigel McGrath’s eight-year disqualification from holding a training licence.

McGrath, who had trained for two decades, admitted three charges laid by the RIU, though he disputed the facts concerning two of them.

That case was also based on a raid on McGrath’s stables near Rolleston in March 2020 after the RIU was told he was ‘tubing’ horses shortly before taking them to race.

Harness Racing New Zealand chairman John Coulam welcomed Alford’s punishment and hopes it will serve as a deterrent.

“I trust such a penalty will serve as a clear message that cheating is not tolerated, nor is the ill treatment of the horse.

“The actions of this individual do not represent the hard working, honest horse-loving people in this industry,” he said.

Alford had his training licence suspended on February 25. His ban will expire on May 9, 2028.

Makes you wonder what the hell does one have to do to a horse to get a life ban? (Sell a horse you don't have etc? Mitchell Kerr aside). Only 7 years for Jesse Alford is disgusting.

And why haven't MPI got their teeth into Alford's actions? It's animal cruelty. Plain and simple. 

The arrogance of it.

Jesse Alford: "What made you guys come out here today? Was it the betting?" 

I hope the reply went along these lines: 

"No numpty, we just thought we would pop out here to this magic beach (Woodend Beach) that we have heard so much about. Plus it is so much closer to home than Broadbeach in Queensland, and with Covid and all, so here we are. Oh and by the way, we are the investigators, so we ask the questions, not you. You just give us the answers, to OUR questions. Respect my authorita! Cuff him lads! Go with Christ, Jesse." 

Edited by Rusty
  • Haha 1

I think I've just solved something that has had me stumped for a long time.

I've always wondered what that lady is looking at through her binoculars when she stands by the parade ring/birdcage/mounting yard at local (Canterbury/West Coast) gallops meetings. She's looking for bloody needle marks in the horse's neck. 

Makes sense now, as she works for a big punter. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

How & why has this horse got a start at Ashburton Thursday Jonny N? 

Johnny Nevits scratched for Ashburton. 

Like I said in the opening post, I hope the horse is ok. 

Screenshot_20211221-141234_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Now it is scratched....

What a shambles.

Total, absolute shambles.

I'm not going to waste my time looking up the rules, re: acceptances, nominations, starters etc, but just on the surface of it all, as a punter looking on, it looks a right mess, and makes a mockery of the situation.

But honestly, what else would one expect?

Sure, there are more important issues in the world to address right now, but it's just a pity that the professional/amatuer sport we all (reading this) have an interest in, is at times so inept it's actually embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

But honestly, what else would one expect?

My expectations are through the floor and on a fast track to the centre of the earth.

In my opinion, Cam Jones should be suspended until further notice due to the severity of the situation.  How could anyone back Johnny Nevits with confidence after last week, or back another runner in the race with confidence?

Don't the almighty harness scribes say horse welfare and punter confidence are the two biggest things in the sport? Where are they in all this? Nowhere as usual. The funny thing for me is they NEVER bring it up before, during or after the event because they are so embedded in the house of cards. 

Thank goodness Peter Profit is around to at least shed some light on the embarrassing shambles it is.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 7:10 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

Thank goodness Peter Profit is around 

Seen his latest article about NZ? Holy moly, he is going for it. Pretty serious accusations or rumours to be making publically. He doesn't name stable, but perhaps names it in full article.

Wonder if its regarding those stable raids that he suggested happened recently ... ?

Goodness me. Its not good either way. If its correct not good & if his off the mark not good either.

Edited by karrotsishere

2 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Seen his latest article about NZ? Holy moly, he is going for it. Pretty serious accusations or rumours to be making publically. He doesn't name stable, but perhaps names it in full article.

Wonder if its regarding those stable raids that he suggested happened recently ... ?

Goodness me. Its not good either way. If its correct not good & if his off the mark not good either.

This is where a bit of leadership goes a long way. 

Fortunately, the Cam Jones event is not common ( although Alford, McGrath and Kerr are recent sigh) but there seems to be a flow on effect here with others being implicated with rumour so I don't see why the RIB or HRNZ don't come out and squash these rumours in such exceptional circumstances, especially this latest one by Profit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

I am thinking Archie doesn't think it was only the pasta sauce that got  Captain Dolmio from maidens at Invercargill to the NZ Cup.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

This is where a bit of leadership goes a long way. 

Fortunately, the Cam Jones event is not common ( although Alford, McGrath and Kerr are recent sigh) but there seems to be a flow on effect here with others being implicated with rumour so I don't see why the RIB or HRNZ don't come out and squash these rumours in such exceptional circumstances, especially this latest one by Profit.

I can only think of a couple of reasons as to why the RIB/HRNZ would choose not to come out and squash the rumours.

1. It is possible, there MAY (emphasis on the word "MAY") be an element of truth behind the rumours, and could well be the subject of current investigative work "behind the scenes" (or behind the bushes lol). The organisation would look silly, saying these rumours are false, then next week, or next month, strike me down, the same organisation that dismissed the rumours, have to announce that so and so (insert name here) has been charged etc etc. The organisation would want to save face. 

2. RIB/HRNZ may not see it as their role, function or place, to squash/address the rumours, being published by a relatively unknown (as in not a household name, or in mainstream media), overseas based online editor. They won't be so naiive, to not at least know about the rumours. They will be fully aware of the rumours/speculation. HRNZ/RIB probably don't wish to add further fuel to the fire, nor give such rumours greater exposure, for wanting to protect the game's image (you at the back stop sniggering and rolling your eyes). 

I do not wish to imply, suggest or infer that any rules are being broken by anyone here. But merely make an observation from the past in another sporting code; Lance Armstrong and the rumours that circled him for years, before the truth finally surfaced.

Did the cycling body/organisation ever come out at any stage and defend Armstrong, and squash the drug and EPO rumours? I genuinely don't know. I can't recall cycling's governing body ever doing it, but I stand to be corrected. 

All just my opinion, as to why HRNZ/RIU haven't squashed the unfortunate rumours. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Field Commander said:

I am thinking Archie doesn't think it was only the pasta sauce that got  Captain Dolmio from maidens at Invercargill to the NZ Cup.

Hard to say what the Dunn's were trying to achieve when taking on champion Tiger Tara (and the 4 x bold Allstars runners) in that 2018 NZ Cup.  Those 5 horses being the First 5 home in the race easily. 

Robert Dunn starting 5 runners, including some like Captain Dolmio and Zadaka and Billy Badger all who had only won 7 races. Not even Open class.?? A disgrace they were allowed to start in the race actually. (out of depth)

Of course they were The LAST three to finish in the 2018 Nz Cup . Trifecta for Robert at the wrong end . The three horses sold off to overseas, and never raced NZ again.

Captain Dolmio had 12 odd starts for Robert Dunn for 1 win. seems the 'sauce' CD wasn't good enough really?. 

• Like 2