The Race Place

PUKEKOHE gone

ngakonui grass

11 minutes ago, barryb said:

Hardly a surprise, there has been a shit load of rain, I also note that Te Rapa is listed as a Dead 6, really? after 60mm of rain.

Just had 50mms here and walked across the front lawn in my jandals without getting my feet wet. A few puddles here and there but they'll be gone in the morning. No idea why 50mms of rain suddenly becomes a major weather event. Lucky to be getting it this time of year.

29 minutes ago, curious said:

Just had 50mms here and walked across the front lawn in my jandals without getting my feet wet. A few puddles here and there but they'll be gone in the morning. No idea why 50mms of rain suddenly becomes a major weather event. Lucky to be getting it this time of year.

You forget that Pukekohe is basically a swamp. Well not really but any rain turns the track into a quagmire really quickly.

As Barry said we've had a lot of rain up here in the last few days.

I'd already decided to steer clear of the meeting because you have no idea of the fitness levels of some of the local horses.

16 minutes ago, pete said:

That's actually a really good question. I thought that was the original rationale behind AWTs.

For Cambridge, I thought it was more about providing a good surface during the Winter months, so that all the horses that are trained at Cambridge could be ready for Spring racing, whether that be in Aus or NZ

5 minutes ago, mardigras said:

200mm+ here the last 11 days. Raining solidly all day today - in a flood zone - pretty comfortable walking on the grass. It's all relative.

Isn't it about drainage? 

Hopefully then, the new Strathayr at Ellerslie will be wonderful, because that has a substantial drainage system, started from scratch.  None of this patch up job with radial drains every 5m

1 minute ago, Hesi said:

Hopefully then, the new Strathayr at Ellerslie will be wonderful, because that has a substantial drainage system, started from scratch.  None of this patch up job with radial drains every 5m

Maybe - there aren't many if any, that race during the wetter months to any great degree. MV doesn't, Launceston doesn't, Sha Tin doesn't. 

From a Herald article.

It is a pivotal step in the restructuring of New Zealand racing, providing a consistent winter racing surface with the ultimate aim of ending bog track meetings in the region, or worse, those meetings which have to be cancelled because of the extreme wet.

15 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Maybe - there aren't many if any, that race during the wetter months to any great degree. MV doesn't, Launceston doesn't, Sha Tin doesn't. 

Sha Tin race Sept to mid July.  Their rain season April to Sept.  June/July/Aug 400mm plus per month, makes our rainfall here look like a shower

7 minutes ago, pete said:

From a Herald article.

It is a pivotal step in the restructuring of New Zealand racing, providing a consistent winter racing surface with the ultimate aim of ending bog track meetings in the region, or worse, those meetings which have to be cancelled because of the extreme wet.

Well they sort of have ended the bog track meetings, what is it 11 Wed meetings over Winter, and with abandonments due to track conditions at other meetings in the area

44 minutes ago, barryb said:

Awapuni & Otaki are heavy 11's I guess the rain has had some effect.

Awapuni is in a hole and they tried to get the drainage at Otaki to run uphill. Of course they'll be heavy but not cancelled. Well you'd hope not. 50 or even 100mms of rain shouldn't be cancelling or postponing meetings. Been in or around agriculture most of my life. The stock still get grazed, fed and everybody gets out of bed and goes to work. The grass still grows. The fruit still develops.

Edited by curious

10 hours ago, Hesi said:

Sha Tin race Sept to mid July.  Their rain season April to Sept.  June/July/Aug 400mm plus per month, makes our rainfall here look like a shower

Fair enough, they do get more rain, so are a success story for Strathayr - yet other tracks do not do that. And Launceston practically stops racing in winter. They have had issues at a number of tracks, Moe went poorly and a track in NSW was not flash either.

And at Sha Tin, they shift the rail massively in order to manage the racing (as well as using their other track). 

I don't think any NZ track will have the same level of investment that Sha Tin gets.

I simply don't believe shifting Ellerslie to Strathayr will do anything beneficial for NZ racing. Hopefully I am wrong.

43 minutes ago, mardigras said:

They tried that at a house I got built in Hawkes Bay. Thankfully someone noticed early!

I tried it here too. This was a relocation and when they put the 3 bits back together I assumed that the waste pipes which had apparently worked for 20 years all had the appropriate fall on them and just hooked them back up.  I have a hilarious photo of everyone standing round the kitchen sink at the house warming party trying to work out why the water wouldn't go down the drain! Meanwhile my plumber had gone home to Dunedin. Even the building inspectors didn't spot the problem.

1 minute ago, curious said:

I tried it here too. This was a relocation and when they put the 3 bits back together I assumed that the waste pipes which had apparently worked for 20 years all had the appropriate fall on them and just hooked them back up.  I have a hilarious photo of everyone standing round the kitchen sink at the house warming party trying to work out why the water wouldn't go down the drain! Meanwhile my plumber had gone home to Dunedin. Even the building inspectors didn't spot the problem.

With mine, it was the inspections that discovered the issue. Funny when discovered - wouldn't have been funny if not discovered, under what was a massive construction with a concrete/ribraft floor.

12 minutes ago, mardigras said:

With mine, it was the inspections that discovered the issue. Funny when discovered - wouldn't have been funny if not discovered, under what was a massive construction with a concrete/ribraft floor.

Fortunately this was piled but I spent a day underneath there upgrading the kitchen waste to 50mm and lowering the entry point to the 100mm waste on the phone to my plumber a few times. Would have been easier while it was sitting up on drums here but a lot worse had it been on a concrete slab with polished concrete floors like we were going to build.

Anyway, back to Otaki. The NZTR venue expert at the time told me at a meeting that the water level in the drainage sink was above the level of the drainage pipes that they installed around the 1400. Just doesn't work.

• Like 1