The Race Place

High Flying Harry

Happy Sunrise

One of the most incompetent drives you will see.

Fortunately, the stewards are onto it. Ross Cameron will be pulling up a chair for Korbyn to sit out the next few months,.

HIGH FLYING HARRY - held up on the final bend behind a weakening runner. Stewards opened and adjourned an investigation into the manner K Newman drove rounding the final bend when electing not to improve his position outwards when an opportunity existed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Wow Happy, just watched race. Counted driver looking back or sideways 12 times. Why? Who or what was he looking for? 

Noted on was on a Dunn Woodend Beach runner. Hmm. 

Here is the assessment of High Flying Harry's chances for Tuesday. Held up? More options?  The person who writes this crap is in denial.

Reminds me of horse out of the same stable a few years ago at Nelson who didn't do 'much' on the first day but won on the second. Feels like I am having seconds of INCA dished up to me.

image.thumb.png.2a40fb027bde085e12832f28036885eb.png

• Like 1

Just now, Happy Sunrise said:

Here is the assessment of High Flying Harry's chances for Tuesday. Held up? More options?  The person who writes this crap is in denial.

Reminds me of horse out of the same stable a few years ago at Nelson who didn't do 'much' on the first day but won on the second. Feels like I am having seconds of INCA dished up to me.

image.thumb.png.2a40fb027bde085e12832f28036885eb.png

Jesus Happy, don't go there lol

"Don't do it Cheryl, don't do it!"

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Very unusual drive, & makes me start to get distrusting with certain stables unfortunately out of Woodends Beach. 

This drive does nothing to help. 

A link to the race for anyone whom has not seen this race. If you put it on slow motion, when he looks side ways or backwards you can see him looking many times. My question still remains WHY? Here are a couple of screen shots with 500 to go & 400 to go.(Horse in 4th spot in pix was Hot fav). In 1st screen shot he is looking sideways too. So can clearly see a gap to move to clear air. But doesn't move. Finishes 2nd. Horse in lead wins.

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=293256&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 8.08.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 8.09.48 AM.png

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

I counted 12 times, here we go for those that didn't watch, what is he looking for? Does it the entire trip.

Certainly not wanting to say it was a great drive, however I can understand a driver three back the pegs, looking around for the train to come, so they don't get boxed in (if indeed they do not wish to get boxed in on the markers). 

However I can't think of any explanation as to why he wouldn't try and peel out when the opportunity arose, going round the final bend. Unless he was thinking that the horse directly in front of him, would give him a good enough drag into it, and was aiming for a late surge through the inside from his horse. But a blind man could see Martin John was being niggled at before the home straight, and the leader was slipping further in front. 

That Kath and Kim phrase comes to mind; "It's noice, it's different, it's unusual." 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Certainly not wanting to say it was a great drive, however I can understand a driver three back the pegs, looking around for the train to come, so they don't get boxed in (if indeed they do not wish to get boxed in on the markers). 

Tots agree, maybe looking once if not wanting to get boxed in. HOWEVER he kept looking after the fact. The pix aren't as clear, BUT he keeps looking backwards. Why? In the last screen shot I posted, that was taken down the back straight the last time, a horse was to his outside. So NO reason to look back. BUT he does yet again. WHY? What for?

Unusual behaviour. 

To me his mind was very active & he was thinking during the running, due to the 12 head turns-side turns. If he's that active during the running, then why not pull out at the 600m or 500m or 400m when it was his final opportunity too. After all he had been looking around during the running the ENTIRE WAY. If his plan had been to just stay on the fence the entire way as he did, why even bother to look around?

• Like 3

Maybe he thought he was on the 101 or 405 Freeway in Cali & was doing what peeps do all the time there - rubber necking. Thing is tho no accident accord in order to rubber neck.

In all seriousness, isn't it against the rules to look back & sideways like that, multiple times? Infront more leniency is given naturally. Which is so they don't get caught napping. But wouldnt think 3 back the fence would. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

In all seriousness, isn't it against the rules to look back & sideways like that, multiple times? Infront more leniency is given naturally. Which is so they don't get caught napping. But wouldnt think 3 back the fence would.

It's against the rules to have your body outside the confines of the gig. Pete McMullen(QLD) has been fined at times, leaning back 'American Style" as he does a bit (like Dexter Dunn these days)  disadvantaging a trailing runner. He can look around all he likes though, as can every driver. 

Blair Orange looks around a bit it seems?. The 'Blair Stare' has been mentioned often. He is assessing how well the rivals are going . Especially as they turn for home . The vital part of the race to be in the action. He is a very skilled driver and can assess his horse and the rivals simultaneously. 

Nearly all other drivers are concentrating on how well only their own horse they're driving is doing at this stage. that's enough on your plate!. Is hard job to get to post first believe me........

As well as K.Newman not seeing that huge gap i(n above photos's from R10 )  to leave fence around the home turn with HIGH FLYING HARRY , ,,,,,,,there was also Gavin Smith on JEREMY WELLS in race 5 , with refusing to leave the leaders back until well into the straight when defeated by Mark Dunnett.  A rookie error.

Smith is vastly experienced driver, so found that very surprising in R5, whereas Newman is still a Junior ,so maybe we cut 'some' slack ? as he gains experience maybe? 

23 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

It's against the rules to have your body outside the confines of the gig. Pete McMullen(QLD) has been fined at times, leaning back 'American Style" as he does a bit (like Dexter Dunn these days)  disadvantaging a trailing runner. He can look around all he likes though, as can every driver. 

As well as K.Newman not seeing that huge gap i(n above photos's from R10 )  to leave fence around the home turn with HIGH FLYING HARRY , ,,,,,,,there was also Gavin Smith on JEREMY WELLS in race 5 , with refusing to leave the leaders back until well into the straight when defeated by Mark Dunnett.  A rookie error.

Smith is vastly experienced driver, so found that very surprising in R5, whereas Newman is still a Junior ,so maybe we cut 'some' slack ? as he gains experience maybe? 

Thx Lightning for that. Interesting against rule body outside. I thought that re disadvantage to trailing runners, as then they have to be back further. Ok thanks re its legal to do. I actually like when they do it when they are infront & checking, checking for the competition.

NEVER once have I seen it done 12 times tho by a horse 3 back the fence. Had it not been for that, then I would just put it down to misjudgement which happens every now & again. No-ones perfect & we all make mistakes. Just the head thing for me, is what makes the drive hmm - lets say makes me question it. 

Didn't notice the Smith Jeremy Wells drive. Didn't notice him look look looking lol. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Didn't notice the Smith Jeremy Wells drive. Didn't notice him look look looking lol.

Yes it seems he was perhaps look, look, looking to run 2nd with Jeremy Wells lol . Winner was plunged in from $2. 00 to $1. 30 in Queensland TAB. They then 'abandoned ' betting on the rest of the card. Sportsbet took the Westport races down too, and refunded the earlier fixed price betting on last 5 races ....  they hate losing.

Don't think Jeremy Wells to interested in up-setting the huge plunge on Mark Dunnett. Probably he (JW) wins tomorrow.

Guess Mark Dunnett was plunged in NZ as well? see $1.40 on NZHR site so pretty short with not great form to it's name.......

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Yes it seems he was perhaps look, look, looking to run 2nd with Jeremy Wells lol . Winner was plunged in from $2. 00 to $1. 30 in Queensland TAB. They then 'abandoned ' betting on the rest of the card. Sportsbet took the Westport races down too, and refunded the earlier fixed price betting on last 5 races ....  they hate losing.

Don't think Jeremy Wells to interested in up-setting the huge plunge on Mark Dunnett. Probably he (JW) wins tomorrow.

Guess Mark Dunnett was plunged in NZ as well? see $1.40 on NZHR site so pretty short with not great form to it's name.......

Ok Ill check out Jeremy Wells race now. And give you my honest objective feedback in a tick.

24 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Winner was plunged in from $2. 00 to $1. 30 in Queensland TAB. They then 'abandoned ' betting on the rest of the card. Sportsbet took the Westport races down too, and refunded the earlier fixed price betting on last 5 races ....  they hate losing.

That is a reflection of NZ harness racing and not Sportsbet. 

Good on them for saying enough is enough.

1 hour ago, Lightning Blue said:

Blair Orange looks around a bit it seems?. The 'Blair Stare' has been mentioned often. He is assessing how well the rivals are going . Especially as they turn for home . The vital part of the race to be in the action. He is a very skilled driver and can assess his horse and the rivals simultaneously. 

Nearly all other drivers are concentrating on how well only their own horse they're driving is doing at this stage. that's enough on your plate!. Is hard job to get to post first believe me........

Here is the latest rule that came into effect 20.6.2019.

869 (1) No horseman shall look around unduly during a race.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Commentator said - “shortest price fav of the day & could be the shortest price fav of the entire circuit”.

Ok. My question is why? What was so great about this Mark Dunnett? Was it a drop in grade or something? Doesn't appear to be … ? As you say had no form. 77900. So why?

Ok so re race. The trailing driver Jeremy Wells, did look kind of around inwards turning for home, so was on the lookout for the 3 back the fence runner? Normal if so. But then for some reason - once around the home bend, didn’t take he passing lane route. Instead waited a split second or 2 before then deciding to angle out instead of in.

That split second muck around was enough to cost him the race. He lost by less than a split second.

Hard to say really, whether it was in order not to beat the fav or if was just like deciding at the time. Id prob give him the benefit of the doubt.  At least he pulled out. Unlike Newman.

For me, the K Newman drive was far more questionable.

Edited by karrotsishere

4 minutes ago, Double R said:

How would they enforce that then.? Is it if they hit the back of a sulky and gallop / and/or interfere with others while not looking where going properly that they would take action with that rule ?

some horses have a big arse too ! lol. and you tend to look around the side a bit so not to trip over something lol.....

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Double R said:

Cool thanks for that DR. Figured Id heard or read about it somewhere as think recall a Jnr getting a warning for it but when in lead. Maybe it was B Hope, but in B Hopes defence at the time IF it was him, seemed obvious he just looking out for competition, not to get caught napping. Nothing weird or seemingly unusual in it. Hence maybe just a warning was given & no further action was deemed ness.

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 1