The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

Starting with horses whose name begins A , each day in January will bring a new letter and  a New Champion (or 2) or more,  for us to remember.

Feel free to Add any horses with the corresponding letter as it goes along.!!! Starting with 'A ' today.

These 2 kick the ball off, and will be recognised instantly by many keen Canterbury harness enthusiasts . 

Name these 2 greats ?

DSC02585.JPG

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Starting with horses whose name begins A , each day in January will bring a new letter and  a New Champion (or 2) or more,  for us to remember.

Feel free to Add any horses with the corresponding letter as it goes along.!!! Starting with 'A ' today.

These 2 kick the ball off, and will be recognised instantly by many keen Canterbury harness enthusiasts . 

Name these 2 greats ?

DSC02585.JPG

Armalight,Arapaho

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

ADIOS . One of the true Greats. Sired more little Brown Jug winners than any other sire. 

"Many Adios horses have starred down-under.

Great Adios won the New Zealand Cup in 1967 by five lengths. The winning time of 4:10.4, then the third fastest for the great race, with the record being held by Johnny Globe in 1954  (4:07.6)."

I loved that horse as a kid. He was an 8 year old when he did this. Trained and driven by Ray Norton at Kumeu.

• Like 1

I 'll have a crack at those All Stars, hopefully in the right order(clues in brackets)

Auckland Reactor( thats a young MP?)

Amazing Dream(winning on Interdominion final night?)

Adore Me(can see her running past Terror To Love on the big screen, on her way to catching Franco Nelson in her NZ Cup).

Fingers crossed 😷

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pete said:

"Many Adios horses have starred down-under.

Great Adios won the New Zealand Cup in 1967 by five lengths. The winning time of 4:10.4, then the third fastest for the great race, with the record being held by Johnny Globe in 1954  (4:07.6)."

I loved that horse as a kid. He was an 8 year old when he did this. Trained and driven by Ray Norton at Kumeu.

Paleface Adios was a direct descendent. Great bloodlines through Hale Dale . Meadow Skipper , Bret hanover, etc.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Thats' Super Bird aka Albatross Lightning B.

See he won 25/28 for Stanley Dancer and they still sacked him.

2 points for Blackie with spotting the great Albatross, and I thought it was 'Big-Bird' but believe you are correct with 'Super-Bird'  being the definitive answer. 

32 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Auckland Reactor( thats a young MP?)

Amazing Dream(winning on Interdominion final night?)

Adore Me(can see her running past Terror To Love on the big screen, on her way to catching Franco Nelson in her NZ Cup).

3 more points for Blackie !!!! well done . 

Auckland Reactor seen here in a Trial going by the number, in preparation for the 2008 Franklin Cup (this seasons version was just last week)

Auckland Reactor made in 15 starts for 15 wins in that Franklin Cup for Mark and Grant Payne co-training then. Is that Grant driving him here maybe?? 

Mark Purdon drives Auckland Reactor – Horse and greyhound racing – Te Ara  Encyclopedia of New Zealand

2 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Amazing Dream, but Blackie beat me to buzzer. 

Its a 'B'-utiful day and here's a couple of 'B'-uties that everyone loved in their racing days as we move on into the B's . But certainly not B-grade performers.

yesterday we had Trotsfan, GlobeD, Blackie and Karrots spotting up Armalight, Arapaho, Amazing Dream, Auckland Reactor, Adore Me, Adios and Albatross. 

Here's terrific photo's so who are these 2 x 'B' for Brilliant horses?   

with a recent Interdominion winning trainer here . and a late great Trainer in photo 2 too.....it  might too easy 

DSC02588.JPG

DSC02587.JPG

• Like 1

Sticking to American, its Brett Hanover by a mile . One of only nine horses to win the Triple Crown and only 3.time winner of Horse of the Year .

And ole Cardy beat him and stopped a winning streak and got his own ten in a row. 

Of course tomorrow should be a tribute to Cardy. The big letter C.

10 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Sticking to American, its Brett Hanover by a mile . One of only nine horses to win the Triple Crown and only 3.time winner of Horse of the Year .

And ole Cardy beat him

One of the greatest ever was Brett Hanover , yes and was dueling with Cardigan Bay on a few occasions , during Cardy's American campaign in the 60's.

Brett Hanover finished his career with World Record mile times, and 62 wins ( and 5 seconds) from 68 starts. 

Cardy v Big Bum (Brett Hanovers nic-name)  What a contest !!!   about the equal of seeing WINX mix it up with SUNLINE galloping I would think. 

DSC02589.JPG

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Field Commander said:

Bonnie's Chance and Blossom Lady and Mister DG

Field Commander takes the win with spotting up the 2  NZ Cup winning mares , and also the late Derek G (George) Jones MMNZ. trainer of Blossom Lady.

Interesting to note the foal of Blossom Lady named 'Mister D G' (in Derek's honour) , managed to win the rich AG Hunter Cup in Oz, the world's richest Handicap race and a race his mum Blossom Lady famously won twice. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Awwww, cmon LB. I spotted Derek and Blossom first. Half a point at least:classic_tongue:

Yes , Blossom Lady and Derek right up there with the very best ever. Richard Brosnan from the other photo still having a crack (training) heading on towards 40 years since winning the Cup with Bonnie's Chance . Think she was 2nd to Armalight the year before too.

Here's another 'B' horse Cup winner for you then Globe (or any other) that can get you a point lol.

DSC02593.JPG