The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

5 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Camluck. ? 

hahahaha so close ! back one more step and you have it !!

I threw this bloke in as this list of achievements from 'the Pacing Machine' is awesome.  

Accomplishments

• Voted Harness Horse of the Year – 1982 and 1983 in U.S. and Canada
  • Champion Three-year-old Pacer – 1982
  • Pacing Horse of the Year – 1982
  • Champion Aged Pacer – 1983
  • Pacer of the Year – 1983
  • Won 28 consecutive races and was known as “The Pacing Machine”
  • Posted more consecutive 2:00 wins than any other Standardbred in history with 32
  • Inducted into the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame and the American Harness Racing Hall of Fame
  • Nation’s leading Standardbred sire in 1995
  • Retired as richest Standardbred in the history of harness racing (1983)
  • Sired 13 crops of foals, including three-year-olds of 2000, who have earned in excess of $100 Million
  • Sire of 14 millionaires and 4 winners of “The Little Brown Jug”
  • Held track record at Roosevelt, Sportsman’s Park, Edmonton, Greenwood, Mohawk, Pompano Park, & Cloverdale

A true champion and one regarded as the best ever.

31 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Another clue is the horse 2 won 11 Group 1's !!      and NZ$44,151  is equal to $US30,000. 

Dexter Dunn paid the $US30, 000 and now owns this great NZ horse . 

1 minute ago, karrotsishere said:

Cardigan Bay?

Cardy was a gelding sadly Karrots .

That American horse wouldn't be known to many in NZ  , but has a major impact these days on the breeding scene. Is Grand-sire of Bettor's Delight. and that achievement list made him one of the best race-horses ever in USA (at the time)

3 minutes ago, Blackie said:

'C' horse 4 is Camelot, winning his NZ Cup.

Spot on Blackie . !!!! A great Nz Cup win for Camelot and very lucky one as it panned.

Trainer /driver Robin Butt was smashed hard on the body,  by the sulky of a falling runner when a big crash happened at the 600m mark. His brother Murray Butt 's sulky actually as Diamond Moose was brought down and Robin was centremetres from being 'swatted' clean off his seat!! .  It was estimated Paul Young who was driving Stortford Lodge was catepaulted near 5m into the air as he came over the top . very spectacular. 

7 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Christian ME

Think the Christian Cullen spellcheck has thrown you off there Karrots lol..........

The great CHRISTEN ME  is our final 'C' horse today amongst a seriously wonderful lot of horses today.

Thanks for playing everyone ! and thanks to Christen Me and Dexter too. 2 Champions togeather 

Christen Me N claimed by Dexter Dunn - Harnesslink

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Probably by Diamond Moose's head. You ever see his head LB, biggest melon I have ever seen on a horse.:classic_smile:

Hahaha lol.. there was some block heads alright . Never got to see Diamond Moose but one of his rivals from O'reillys who won a few with it,  made it to Queensland eventually for us to fiddle around with ,  named LEW FOY.

He was as big as a house !!!!  I called him 'The Monster' lol

couldn't fit him on a trailer as was the size of great NZ galloper 'Empire Rose' I reckon. over 17 hands.  so had to get a small truck. couldn't get him to fire a shot either.....  

Chasing Roydon Glen, Lord Louie ,Diamond Moose and co in younger days, had burnt him out completely. 

We shall start the "D" day off with my American theme and the horse regarded as the greatest American pacer of all time  The immortal DAN PATCH.   Unbeaten in all open competition . Broke 14 world records . Best time of 1.55 and a quarter . Was unhobbled and basically freelegged with little gear. This was in the very early 1900,s .

If you read his history on Wikipedia it makes fantastic reading and you can see why he was regarded as the best.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

We shall start the "D" day off with my American theme and the horse regarded as the greatest American pacer of all time  The immortal DAN PATCH.   Unbeaten in all open competition . Broke 14 world records . Best time of 1.55 and a quarter . Was unhobbled and basically freelegged with little gear. This was in the very early 1900,s .

If you read his history on Wikipedia it makes fantastic reading and you can see why he was regarded as the best.

Read about him last year, that he used to cross fire. This was because at the time Sweety Lewey was cross-firing. So was researching cross-firing. (she not cross-firing now). Anyway it said that his back legs were higher/longer than his front legs, hence the cross firing. But he still went on to be a champion. 

It's D-Day , and like the 2ndWW brave participants from June 6th 1944, here is a couple of brave horses that gave it their all every time. 

One being the idol of the crowds , the other not so well known , but as a kid straight out of school helped nurse him back from serious injury over a few months. He's a Double D !! just like his trainer driver there too lol. (No it isn't Dexter Dunn) 

Both these 2 greats trained by the same bloke at various stages of their careers as well.

Can you name these 2 fine horses ? 

DSC02599.JPG

DSC02598.JPG

3 minutes ago, Enteebee said:

or Dillon Dale?

A champion Juvenile for Gary Hillier winning a stack of 2 yearold races . sadly went amiss and missed 3 yearold season.

Don Dwyer getting him back going at 5 yold , and won the NZ FFA , just days after the race photo at the TOP of this Page , where you can see Dillon Dale's head poking up inside Camelot there at the finish in the NZ Cup ..  nearly got it. 

Gary Hillier also taking Delightful Lady late in her career when a bold third to Aussie Champs Gammalite and Popular Alm in the 1983 Interdominion Grand Final.  Dillon Dale also competed at that Interdominion and ran 3rd to "Hand's Down" in the consolation.

"Hands Down" also being the victor over Delightful Lady (2nd) in the 1980 Nz Cup . she headed him at one stage..... nearly got it. ( the day of her photo there as No 16 off a 10m handicap for Mike Stormont ) 

Delightful Lady and Dillon Dale raced against each other many times. The Lady nearly always winning ........