The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

3 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Man, that is a hell of a run of Inky Lord's to win the Cup. To be checked liked that 500m out, and still coming sideways and wide  when the others seemed like half way down the straight, awesome.

up there with my favourite races - Wife was heavily pregnant and having a nap - she woke up not that happy with me yelling at the TV 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/9/2022 at 7:20 AM, Lightning Blue said:

Who is this giant of the 'G's great? why is he so Great ?

We get to 'J' today and the amazing Pacer in this photo. 

The answer to the above question regarding the 'G' horse (from a couple of pages back in thread) , of the 100 year old photo was GLOBE DERBY. He became the greatest influence on the local Australian breeding industry for decades. Eventually over the century, all of his sons and grand sons siring lines became Extinct very very sadly. And once again it is just American blood-lines that dominate. 

Another thing that made Globe Derby so great , his sons and grand-sons (This bloke in photo is a grand-son) sped up the standardbred breed by 10 seconds , on what they were. One grandson , the first 2.00 min horse down-under.

And this guy had 4 world records during his career !!  A lot of people will know this admired 'J'' horse ????

DSC02616.JPG

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

We get to 'J' today and the amazing Pacer in this photo. 

The answer to the above question regarding the 'G' horse (from a couple of pages back in thread) , of the 100 year old photo was GLOBE DERBY. He became the greatest influence on the local Australian breeding industry for decades. Eventually over the century, all of his sons and grand sons siring lines became Extinct very very sadly. And once again it is just American blood-lines that dominate. 

Another thing that made Globe Derby so great , his sons and grand-sons (This bloke in photo is a grand-son) sped up the standardbred breed by 10 seconds , on what they were. One grandson , the first 2.00 min horse down-under.

And this guy had 4 world records during his career !!  A lot of people will know this admired 'J'' horse ????

DSC02616.JPG

Johnny Globe I think

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haha was just about to post JAE - what a beaut horse.

"J" - I'll toss in Jack Robinson here 🙂 one of the successful Robinson dynasty, with his dam Double Duty, also producing Sugar Ray Robinson, Greg Robinson, Lady Robinson and the not so successful but a good looker, Saint David.  Also a nod to close friend of our family, Max.   I meant to add Greg in the G's but missed the chance! 🙂 

• Like 1

Just to spread it a bit more globally 🙂   I'll add JK She'salady - a beautiful mare by Arts Major out of a broodmare by one of my fave sires Presidential Ball.     In her short racing career she was a standout gaining horse of the year titles in both Canada and USA, before having to retire due to health issues.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Field Commander said:

J is also for John Tudor and Jenner

Love the Auckland racing horses , as got to see them race so many times. John Tudor won the NZ Messenger for 'Mad-dog' Dodds... and Jenner a great 2nd to Scotch Notch in the Interdominion trot Final for Charlie Hunter too.

54 minutes ago, pete said:

No champ but one of my favourite horses when I was younger

Jovial Jeanie

10 wins in a row I think with Barry Purdon training. She went better right handed and never did much left-handed racing so Dalgety sent her up .

A similar horse to Jovial Jeanie is this one too in photo below. Derek won about 5 in a row at Auckland.

I Bet no-one can get this 'J' horse ??

DSC02617.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Field Commander said:

White hopples make me want to say Jilaires Chance.

FC-That's a fair guess .

Jilaire's Chance did win 4 in a row in March 82.

However,only last 3 at Alex Park,winning streak began at Addington.

Plus,Derek only in driver's seat once.😀

11 minutes ago, Field Commander said:

White hopples make me want to say Jilaires Chance.

You my friend are 'Just Too Good'.!!!!!! Just too good being a fine Oz 'J' horse lol...  Jilaire's Chance it is with DGJ. 

and have taken the lead in the points...... over Blackie followed by Globe and Karrots.

I don't have any 'Special K' horses except for one Aussie . Here he is . A pretty good one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So tomorrow will do the 'L' s and There Will Bee a whole gaggle of Amazing Winners , that will make that line-up of 'C' horses look like Chumps ! lol.....  .

DSC02618.JPG

14 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

K's -   Koala King 🙂   and we could include a newbie .. King of Swing 🙂 

K is for Krug, Kango, King Alba, King Denny and Jenner's stablemate Kenwood Song.

Plus a not so well known big chestnut for Lynn Trotter - Keystone Surprise.

Edited by Field Commander
  • Like 1