The Race Place

Otaki Cup Controversy

Happy Sunrise

Oh my. Not that I am defending anyone here, I do recall that the day had many noms, (President states that) But was restricted to only a few races. I was actually going to post something about the amount of noms the North excluding Auckland had been getting as also Camb has had a good decent amount of noms too lately as Otaki did too. 

Think for e.g. that latest nite at Alex 31 Dec, had something like 95 - 97 noms & the meeting same week or close to that meeting had 75 ish, BUT was limited to only 5 races.

Its great that trainers are voicing their concerns & complaints. Shows too they want to go to win. And are upset when they don't. The wide range in ratings with smaller pool of horses is only going to get worse. 

Recall it happening with a horse called On The Cards, not getting a start, then getting a start & people pro or con it starting Alex P. Something similar recently with Copy That. The highest rating race too for trotters with Temporale & other trainers horses having to run against him & a bit of backlash about that too again at Alex P.

Edited by karrotsishere

Just read House comments, & actually regardless if there was 10 horses for Cup, why change to a mobile & change the distance. 

Thats got nothing to do with amount of noms once the amount of horses e.g. 10 were agreed upon for it. Surely having a stand start & handicap higher rated horses would actually accommodate more horses. And standing start with some off front - 10 metres or with a concession Junior on makes it more fair. Most of those Country Cup races are stand start with Handicaps. So think Im on House side with this one. Wonder why on earth they changed it? This doesn't look good now either posted on Xmas Day their Facebook page. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 8.22.37 PM.png

Edited by karrotsishere

This bit from a recent article on HRNZ also doesn't look very good either now. Was meant to be a stand (handicap) 2700m trip but Club changed at last min after withdrawals to 2000m mobile.

American Me won his previous start at Cambridge on Christmas Eve, but it was the interrupted journey home to Bulls following the race that was the biggest concern for Gale heading into Wednesday.

“I was a little worried that the trip back home after his run at Cambridge was long and arduous,” Gale said.

“There was unfortunately a serious accident around Lake Taupo and we had to be turned around and redirected. It turned a five-hour trip into a seven and a half trip home.

I was a little bit worried that the combination with that and the hard race might have taken the edge off him, but it didn’t look like it had.

“I would normally stay the night and come back the next morning but I didn’t really want to travel back Christmas morning, so we came back after the races. It was a day meeting so we weren’t that late leaving, but we certainly weren’t early getting home.”

Gale was pleased with American Me’s efforts at the Kapiti Coast meeting.

“I was very happy,” he said. “Being a shorter journey he had to be put in the race early and to his credit he stuck to his guns, even though he did that work early.

Edited by karrotsishere

• 4 weeks later...

Before heading out for the day, may as well bring this up. Since have mentioned Guerin on latest Boxseat giving mis-information re no noms for 3yo Waikato Guineas. 

Again in same episode he gave out mis-information. 

He touched on this controversy & said something along the lines if anyone is upset for giving this horse American Me a start then they need to get another hobby. Not in those words, but he didn't agree with the controversy around it. THE thing was tho he said the controversy was JUST based on the horse got a START.

This is not accurate. People were upset, that the club changed the distance of the race & changed it from a Handicap STANDING START to a MOBILE START. 

NOT that the horse itself got a Start. Of course people were fine with American Me getting a start. 

Have stuck up for Guerin before & written nice things about him, so as a balance will call out mis-information. 

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

He touched on this controversy & said something along the lines if anyone is upset for giving this horse American Me a start then they need to get another hobby.

I heard that and thought what a dick spouting such a dismissive comment, much like his boorish comment about ATC members.

The guy is a mouthpiece on a gravy train and nothing more. Lost much of my respect for him.

• Like 1