Jump to content
The Race Place

Akuta Race Call


Happy Sunrise
 Share

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

The run of the race was Corravally Star.

Underrated horse in my opinion. Had it in the comp and ran accordingly. He had a busy 3yr old season but those Washington VC,s are a tough breed. Could be his break out season going on that run.

Edited by Globederby19
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hesi said:

He did run the mile in 1.51.87, which I think is phenomenal first up

Just looking at the records, very few have run faster than that

Is he the next big thing?

Tegan Banner 1.52.5

Celtic Spirit got his second victory in 1.53.1

Opawa Louie 1.55.2 for his first win.

Akuta went super and could be destined for great things but on a very fast track in the one one against a very moderate field it was probably expected.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Tegan Banner 1.52.5

Celtic Spirit got his second victory in 1.53.1

Opawa Louie 1.55.2 for his first win.

Akuta went super and could be destined for great things but on a very fast track in the one one against a very moderate field it was probably expected.

Watched race via replay & while it looked good as quick turn off foot, agree had the 1/1 & lightening fast track, like Cambridge at the mo, maybe the heat. Setting records each week past 3 weeks Cambridge. 

(He was fresh up so tick for that & he did put Shan Noble to bed easily who had the lead, Shan Noble isn't a mug is a year older & ran an eye catching race in Derby last year. 

So for me will be a lets see & watch. He is just an early 3yo after all. But agree 2nd placed horse ran an eye catching ran, made up ground on him from further back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Could he be the first horse to go sub 1.50 in NZ.  The horse was first up after all, and still only a 3 year old

Id say probably if track conditions continue to be record lightening fast times around the country. Purdon via an article seems pretty excited by him, so that has to be a sign.

Also Mr Profit also seems to be in his corner. Which is a rarity lol.

Notice he's picking on a stable again today, seems to have a bee in bonnet with this particular Woodend Beach stable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hesi said:

Think this might be your new fav Harness horse Hesi. Here is a recent interview with Cullen & Akuta in background, munching down his feed while putting foot in food bucket lol. Cullen on him he is "intelligent, nice natured".

https://www.facebook.com/harnessracingunhinged/videos/3085917878363958/

Something I just picked up is he is a gelding. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Just thought it was interesting he was gelded before his 1st start - others from same stable, same age:

Akuta - gelded

Franco Indie - gelded

Franco Mac - gelded

Always Have Faith - gelded

Willow Bay - gelded

 

Cyrus Colt

Bollinger Colt

Cosmic Major Colt

Many colts don't race well Karrots. They don't concentrate on the job well at times. They are hard to transport and work with at times. (play up around other horses) You can run a heap of geldings in a paddock togeather, but obviously a stallion has to go it 'alone'.  Transport and stable 'alone' etc, etc. Some (like Lord Module) even become mean and dangerous. can savage people as well as looking to savage other horses, so far easier to quieten them down a bit. by gelding.

Tomorrow Ashburton for example looks like only about 3 colts racing and over 50 geldings and over 50  mares 

So Standardbreds being gelded is ultra common. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Many colts don't race well Karrots. They don't concentrate on the job well at times. They are hard to transport and work with at times. (play up around other horses) You can run a heap of geldings in a paddock togeather, but obviously a stallion has to go it 'alone'.  Transport and stable 'alone' etc, etc. Some (like Lord Module) even become mean and dangerous. can savage people as well as looking to savage other horses, so far easier to quieten them down a bit. by gelding.

Tomorrow Ashburton for example looks like only about 3 colts racing and over 50 geldings and over 50  mares 

So Standardbreds being gelded is ultra common. 

Yes understand all that, was just surprised that the lower end ones weren't gelded but the higher end ones were. Eg Cyrus not gelded neither is Bollinger. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

Yes understand all that, was just surprised that the lower end ones weren't gelded but the higher end ones were. Eg Cyrus not gelded neither is Bollinger. 

The race results are giving you the reason . Seems Cyrus and Bollinger are losing and the gelded ones are Not ??  give em the chop lol.....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2022 at 8:19 AM, karrotsishere said:

track conditions continue to be record lightening fast times around the country.

Another track record set yesterday, this time by Bolt For Brilliance at Cambridge. Seems like just about every meeting for past 4 ish weeks a horse is setting a new track record there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought we would be waiting a long time to see another horse as good as Lazarus

I now think I'm wrong

You can bag me in 24 months time but I think Akuta will be every bit as good as Lazarus

Mikie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

He didn't get a run last weekend due to only being eligible for FFA & Purdon not wanting to put the current rating R71 against Self Assured, fair enuff.

Now he is nom-ed for Cambridge, 3yo guineas & only 4 noms. If that race doesn't get off the ground, he will only be eligible for the FFA, whom he would be up against South Coast Arden nom-ed so again same situation as last weekend.

Gee shows how hard it is for the Northern horses re numbers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

He didn't get a run last weekend due to only being eligible for FFA & Purdon not wanting to put the current rating R71 against Self Assured, fair enuff.

Now he is nom-ed for Cambridge, 3yo guineas & only 4 noms. If that race doesn't get off the ground, he will only be eligible for the FFA, whom he would be up against South Coast Arden nom-ed so again same situation as last weekend.

Gee shows how hard it is for the Northern horses re numbers. 

The Guineas race has been scrapped, so Akuta is transferred into the open free for all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Double R said:

The Guineas race has been scrapped, so Akuta is transferred into the open free for all.

Thanx for update. Thats a shame. Isnt the name of meeting named the Waikato Guineas. Guess if he isnt withdrawn wont have to go up against top NZ Cup winning stable mate. But its what I said on another thread. Once horses in North are rated above R70 its into FFA grade. Which could only be 3-4 wins in a row. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took a look at the 3yo Waikato Guineas Race to see field & winners. Couldn’t find it 2019, but did for 2020 & 2021. Its always been a smallbut select field. 6-8 starters. Shame they didn’t get it off the ground this year.

2020 

Bad To the Bone 1st

Need You Now 2nd

Late Bloomer South Coast Arden 8th

2021

1st Alta Wiseguy

Aladdin 2nd

Last Tango in Heaven 3rd

Out of 12 Jewels runners this age last year only 3 have been exported boys & 3 exported girls. Wonder why not enough noms? Didn’t want to run against Akuta … ?

On a different note was looking at FFA field & was talking about 3-4 wins in a row can make a horse R71 = FFA grade. If take a look at Taipo, raced 19 times, 5 wins, lifetime stake $52k.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For anyone interested here is Akutas trial yesterday he took part in at Puke. He puts away Raven Banner a 4yo Bettors 5 win R66 horse. Whom only races at Alex Park. So an intermediate grade Alex Park horse. Just went straight on by in a sharp sprint home in 26 & change. Worth a peak.

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=294706&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw this screen shot on Harnessed Facebook pg, no caption just the pic. A commenter says surely a conflict of interest. Another comment has said would the race gone ahead had he not had a runner?.

Thought Id do a RECAP.

21st Jan - Alex run a FFA - 6 accepted - 1 scratches down to 5 runners who take part including Kango & Taipo. Akuta does not start due to connections not wanting to put the just turned 3yo into a FFA yet - this is the only race he is eligible for.

27th Jan - Waikato/Bay of Plenty run a FFA 5 runners accept  - 1 scratches down to 4 runners who take part including Kango & Taipo. Again Akuta misses a start as there was only 4 nom-ed for the annual 3yo Waikato Guineas (which is a nice race). (Guerin on Box-seat comes out & states that there were NO Noms for the race. This simply wasn’t true. Maybe they looked at it when the transfers & withdrawals had been done). I saw 4 initial noms. Unless those 4 noms were a mistake at time of public release.

Connections of Akuta again have to run in a trial they did so both weeks missing a start. This horse has traveled up from the South & is a rating R71. Cant get a decent start. Yet 2 FFAS week apart are run in North. And a nice 3yo Guineas race was canned. 

272890029_445014767221051_4475126573983240186_n.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...