The Race Place

NZ racing funding

mardigras

I saw this elsewhere - and the bit in bold is simply not correct.

"What I object to is the implication they run superior(comparatively) operations and that somehow the wider industry should be eternally grateful to them.  They get to run the bigger days because they are subsidised by the income generated lower down the food chain pure and simple - they get a disproportionate share of the funds."

They are not subsidised by those down the food chain. They are subsidised from income generated from pokies, sports and offshore racing. No NZ racing club is making money beyond the funding it gets from NZTR from any wagering on their racing. They all receive from NZTR more than they generate in net wagering revenue.

The last part of the post is a fair point. The bigger clubs get a disproportionate share of the funds, given they return less per $ in revenue relative to the funding they get, than the smaller clubs generally do.

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 3

I enjoy what Brian(Reefton) writes on BOAY, one of the few left that contributes in a constructive manner.  I realise he has quite a bit of bitterness towards the management of thoroughbred racing in NZ, but he has so much grass roots knowledge.  Also an accountant, so not too much fuzzy thinking

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gospel Of Judas said:

Got remember, that rest of NZ Racing is like that. Because got fund all big breeding and racing industry of Hogan, Velas and new players on the scene. Why rob from Peter to pay Paul. To fund their shitty we All Weather tracks and close Provincial Racing. All started by Winson Peters, who received money year on year from likes of Hogan, Vela and all those other interests . https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/119250790/wealthy-and-powerful-nz-first-foundation-donors-revealed 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/119704872/billionaires-among-the-full-list-of-donors-supporting-nz-first

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/in-depth/409320/nz-first-foundation-received-tens-of-thousands-of-dollars-from-donors-in-horse-racing-industry

Although the problems of NZ racing go well beyond things that the breeders and Winston Peters have caused. 

14 hours ago, Hesi said:

I enjoy what Brian(Reefton) writes on BOAY, one of the few left that contributes in a constructive manner.  I realise he has quite a bit of bitterness towards the management of thoroughbred racing in NZ, but he has so much grass roots knowledge.  Also an accountant, so not too much fuzzy thinking

I don't disagree. But it shows the level of thinking when even people involved with clubs actually think there are clubs making money from wagering over and above their funding. People involved think that, making it unlikely that the general public would find out how bad things are. If they knew, who knows what would happen.

13 hours ago, Gospel Of Judas said:

BOAY has got some good people on it. Problem is Owner will kill the site in time, though not geting ride of trolls and his own mood swings. Say down the, track best option for him is to merge site with Racecafe. Not really much difference between the two these days.

NZ Racing only ones geting rich, are big owners, big breeding and services providers. Plus, the excess of overpaid staff in Wellington middle and top management.  Everyone else is hanging on by paint fumes. 

I don't think big owners are getting rich on NZ racing, nor the betting service providers. There is so little money bet on NZ racing, the service providers would be making peanuts in the scheme of things.

Edited by mardigras

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2022 at 8:01 AM, mardigras said:

I don't disagree. But it shows the level of thinking when even people involved with clubs actually think there are clubs making money from wagering over and above their funding. People involved think that, making it unlikely that the general public would find out how bad things are. If they knew, who knows what would happen.

Was just idly flicking through.      I recall, right at the beginning of the first lockdown [ in the few days we were allowed to get our horses sorted, spelled, whatever ]  running into an administrator as I was collecting a bit of gear from the track.

How long do you think this might last ?  I wanted to know.    Oh, no more than a fortnight, he said, confidently.  The Govt won't want to miss out on all the money they earn from racing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Was just idly flicking through.      I recall, right at the beginning of the first lockdown [ in the few days we were allowed to get our horses sorted, spelled, whatever ]  running into an administrator as I was collecting a bit of gear from the track.

How long do you think this might last ?  I wanted to know.    Oh, no more than a fortnight, he said, confidently.  The Govt won't want to miss out on all the money they earn from racing.

April Fools day was yesterday