The Race Place

Where's the bucket?

mardigras

2 hours ago, Double R said:

All good Curious.

Would you be in favour of whips being done away with altogether, or perhaps not used at all in the last 200 metres?

I wouldn't be opposed to that but always carry one myself so for safety, guidance and education, I'd prefer something like they be carried but their use limited to hands on reins and only down the shoulder backhand style.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, curious said:

I wouldn't be opposed to that but always carry one myself so for safety, guidance and education, I'd prefer something like they be carried but their use limited to hands on reins and only down the shoulder backhand style.

Hi Curious.

Is it compulsory for a rider to carry a whip in a race?

10 minutes ago, curious said:

Nope. At least not per se. Might be a risk however of being on the receiving end of a "not trying" type charge.

We had a harness horse who didn't like the whip, and could be bowling along nicely in a race, and even though the driver was told not to strike with the whip, it just seemed natural for them to use it, and he would slow up. In the end advised the driver not to take a whip, and they didn't take one with them for the race.

I wonder in your experience, had you had horses like that, who didn't like the whip?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Double R said:

I wonder in your experience, had you had horses like that, who didn't like the whip?

Posted this elsewhere on the topic  DR but the answer is yes and NGH obviously agreed it was a risk sometimes

Long time ago now, I remember NGH riding an enigmatic mare for me at Riccarton Easter. A Class 4 race back in the day when we had proper handicaps. Wouldn't pretend to give the likes of him instructions but asked him what the track was like. Few puggy patches he said. Just said you have to kid her through those and she's only little, doesn't like getting tightened up between horses. Watched the race in the bottom of the members' stand. 2000m, 3 wide without cover the whole way. 3 across the track, the two favourites I think and her at 33/1 in between. I'd long given up backing her. Every time I thought I had her dead on and had a punt she'd stop dead and run 30 lengths last. Decided that wasn't a good way to try and make a living! Anyway, I was muttering under my breath at the 150, think you need to give her one Noel. Hadn't touched her. She thinks this is a track gallop and is just doing enough to keep up. Told me after he was afraid to hit her in case she stopped. Thought she was gone at the 500 but grabbed the bit again 100 later (probably the worst part of the Riccarton track disaster there). Anyway, he gave her a good slap and she drew away to win comfortably by 3/4 l. When he came back to scale, he just said they told me she goes the odd good one. That was a good one!

Edited by curious
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, curious said:

Posted this elsewhere on the topic  DR but the answer is yes and NGH obviously agreed it was a risk sometimes

Long time ago now, I remember NGH riding an enigmatic mare for me at Riccarton Easter. A Class 4 race back in the day when we had proper handicaps. Wouldn't pretend to give the likes of him instructions but asked him what the track was like. Few puggy patches he said. Just said you have to kid her through those and she's only little, doesn't like getting tightened up between horses. Watched the race in the bottom of the members' stand. 2000m, 3 wide without cover the whole way. 3 across the track, the two favourites I think and her at 33/1 in between. I'd long given up backing her. Every time I thought I had her dead on and had a punt she'd stop dead and run 30 lengths last. Decided that wasn't a good way to try and make a living! Anyway, I was muttering under my breath at the 150, think you need to give her one Noel. Hadn't touched her. She thinks this is a track gallop and is just doing enough to keep up. Told me after he was afraid to hit her in case she stopped. Thought she was gone at the 500 but grabbed the bit again 100 later (probably the worst part of the Riccarton track disaster there). Anyway, he gave her a good slap and she drew away to win comfortably by 3/4 l. When he came back to scale, he just said they told me she goes the odd good one. That was a good one!

Lovely story.

Thanks for sharing it.

• Like 1