The Race Place

New whip rules

mardigras

Racing: Whip rules to be reviewed after heated week - NZ Herald

Here's some easy suggestions

First offence (regardless of finishing position) - disqualification

Second offence within 6 months - disqualification and $1000 fine

Third offence within 6 months - disqualification and $5000 fine and suspension for 5 days

For each additional offence within 6 months - disqualification and additional $2500 fine for each offence, additional 3 days suspension.

Should sort them out. Who gives a toss whether they are outed and/or available for a G1 or a maiden. FFS.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 1:03 PM, mardigras said:

Racing: Whip rules to be reviewed after heated week - NZ Herald

Here's some easy suggestions

First offence (regardless of finishing position) - disqualification

Second offence within 6 months - disqualification and $1000 fine

Third offence within 6 months - disqualification and $5000 fine and suspension for 5 days

For each additional offence within 6 months - disqualification and additional $2500 fine for each offence, additional 3 days suspension.

Should sort them out. Who gives a toss whether they are outed and/or available for a G1 or a maiden. FFS.

I can see an issue...

Imagine a race....couple of hundred metres to go and the leader is cruizing and is out in front by a few  lenghts...the jockey is just sitting on it... not using hands and  heels,nothing...just sitting...at this point it cant be  beat, the others are struggling.

The  horse currently running in second is going to finish second......but......all the  jockeys have bet on this runner.So the jockey on the  leader pulls the whip and gives the horse a whipping to the finishing post.....Then gets disqualified ( but thats the plan )....The jocks  collect and everyone has a  huge laugh.

My solution ( while def. not perfect ) would be to outlaw the use of the  whip unless needed for  safety. If a  jock uses the  whip they get  fined the equivilent of all  the  payout money of the horse  on the NZ TAB ( fixed odds and Tote ) Yup that could run to tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars as a  fine.

Can you tell im  against using the whip at all ?

• Like 2

A great opportunity for NZTR to ban whips all together, and use the event as a PR exercise to get some much needed good news for the industry

If no one has a whip, then what does it matter, everyone is in the same boat.

As someone somewhere else said, if it does not hurt or the horse does not feel it, then what is their purpose.

Times change, racing has to change with them

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RaceChat said:

I can see an issue...

Imagine a race....couple of hundred metres to go and the leader is cruizing and is out in front by a few  lenghts...the jockey is just sitting on it... not using hands and  heels,nothing...just sitting...at this point it cant be  beat, the others are struggling.

The  horse currently running in second is going to finish second......but......all the  jockeys have bet on this runner.So the jockey on the  leader pulls the whip and gives the horse a whipping to the finishing post.....Then gets disqualified ( but thats the plan )....The jocks  collect and everyone has a  huge laugh.

My solution ( while def. not perfect ) would be to outlaw the use of the  whip unless needed for  safety. If a  jock uses the  whip they get  fined the equivilent of all  the  payout money of the horse  on the NZ TAB ( fixed odds and Tote ) Yup that could run to tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars as a  fine.

Can you tell im  against using the whip at all ?

I would ban the whip also. My suggestions were more if they didn't ban it and still had rules about its use.

In your example, an easier way to do it imo, would be to get all the (non winner) jockeys to violate the whip rule earlier in the race well before the result may be known. Then they all get dq'd and the horses can just be ridden as if trying to win. The only one left being the one they want, making no difference as to how it runs or where it finishes.

I would expect betting analysis would/should identify that. They'd want to do a good job financially - do you think owners are going to want to put jockeys on that get their horses disqualified.

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I posted this in the harness section initially, but the gallops guys and gals may find this of interest too, given the recent headlines of a galloping trainer and dead horses: 

The Racing Integrity Board (RIB), the SPCA and MPI's Animal Welfare NAIT Compliance unit, have joined forces to create a three pronged attack to ensure the  best use of resources in the fight against animal cruelty in both horse and greyhound racing.
A Memorandum of Understanding was signed by the three agencies during New Zealand Cup week in November, with the purpose of information sharing between the parties regarding “animal welfare incidents", including the administering of prohibited substances into race horses. 
The three agencies have committed  to a “no surprises” communication approach, and will share high level summaries of individual animal welfare related cases. 
The RIB will continue to oversee and enforce race day incidents, however the more serious ones, including positive dope tests for horses, will be referred to MPI within 48 hours, whilst deaths of race horses in competition will be reported to MPI (Ministry Primary Industries) on a monthly basis. Upon receiving the notifications, MPI may elect to investigate the matter under their legislative powers and enforcement, something that the Minister is believed to be keen to see. The spotlight has been on the greyhound racing industry for sometime, but with the highly publicized cases of positive doping cases in race horses, attention is now moving towards the equine codes. Reports of formalin, which contains formaldehyde, being injected into race horses, has left not only the hard working honest racing participants outraged, but also the wider general public, as the minor sport has often featured in mainstream media reports for all the wrong reasons in recent times. 
There have been quiet murmurings of frustration within MPI for some time, as their officers have encountered some what perplexing RIB officialdom at times when the lines of investigation into animal cruelty are often blurred regarding who should be the lead agency, and the lack of sharing resources and information, for the good of the animal. 
It is suspected that the MOU will also include the use of the whip in horse racing. Norway is the only country in the world to have previously banned the use of whips in horse racing and Sweden is set to join them from April, as calls for whip use reform gains momentum worldwide. 
Personally, it made me stop and think today, when at the end of a race, a 3 year old girl asked me, “what are those sticks for"? I didn't have the heart to tell her what they were, and why jockeys  were using whips on horses, especially the horses that were well beaten, in more ways than one. 

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gold Olympic winner M Todd, is being called out for whip use & shamed on social media. Forced to apologise. Society just don’t want to see it nowadays. Tik-Tok link of him hitting horse with whip. Other link article about it.

https://www.tiktok.com/@chloet.eventing/video/7061647357816933638?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id7063957491131401730

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2022/02/new-zealand-olympic-great-sir-mark-todd-apologises-after-video-of-abusing-horse-emerges-on-social-media.html