The Race Place

Karaka Million what a yawn

Hesi

No doubt another Bosson/TA benefit

BGP Punters Club will be there stuffing the prices on the faves and getting special consideration for doing so.  Never mind will improve the prices on the other runners

Opens with a 7 horse 110,000 race, where are all the stayers

A very average Concorde sprint, the race developed by Avondale and pinched by Ellerslie

Big impact no doubt on betting figs for the Trentham meeting, which now has to compete, as what big Dave wants, big Dave gets.  Those Wellington fields are far better wagering options

You'll be there Pete??, in your latest designer garb, drinking champers with all the lovely chicky birds

18 minutes ago, Hesi said:

No doubt another Bosson/TA benefit

BGP Punters Club will be there stuffing the prices on the faves and getting special consideration for doing so.  Never mind will improve the prices on the other runners

Opens with a 7 horse 110,000 race, where are all the stayers

A very average Concorde sprint, the race developed by Avondale and pinched by Ellerslie

Big impact no doubt on betting figs for the Trentham meeting, which now has to compete, as what big Dave wants, big Dave gets.  Those Wellington fields are far better wagering options

You'll be there Pete??, in your latest designer garb, drinking champers with all the lovely chicky birds

Not me mate

a. They don't let slobs with shorts, t shirt and jandals in

b. I don't drink alcohol any more

c. The only chicky bird I know is sitting in the freezer

I also think the Bergerson horse might break the benefit this year. She looks special.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hesi said:

Anyone game to run a pretend punters club on here, once the final figure is known.

It isn't a meeting I will be having an actual bet on - I don't like the value overall.

But if I was having to do this, this is where I would start (taking some guidance also from barry's post).

Might not even get a single dividend from this lot.

R1 #6 Even Chance $25k @10
R1 #2 Sir Nate $15k @10
($40k)

R2 #6 Les Crayeres $25k @15
R2 #9 Vernazza $10k @15
R2 #12 Lookseasy $10k EW ($20k) @31/6
($55k)

R3 #5 Wewillrock $10k EW ($20k) @9/2.7
($20k)

R4 #2 Mascarinto $10k @21
R4 #3 Sacred Satono $10k @15
R4 #5 Lord Cosmos $15k EW ($30k) @26/5.5
($50k)

R5 #4 Dragon Leap $30k EW ($60k) @9/2.7
R5 #6 Familia $20k @14
R5 #8 Riding The Wave $15k EW ($30k) @31/6
($110k)

R6 #2 Tutukaka $20k @15
R6 #6 Turn The Ace $5k EW ($10k) @51/8
R6 #13 Achieve $10k EW ($20k) @41/7
R6 #19 Riverplate $25k EW ($50k) @21/4.8 (using imaginery $50k bonus bet)
($100k)

Total ($375k)
Rest during the day

BGP Interim total $562k including $50k bonus bet

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gospel Of Judas said:

Believe when first started was with Betfair.

Most people betting with betfair can get promo bets - BGP would be miniscule on betfair - so I doubt they would get anything that wasn't available to most. 

I used to get some promo offers years back. It's marketing.

There is no point betting such as the punters club today with betfair. You wouldn't get the bets on.

I am pleased for BGP because betting is so vital to the success of racing. I find it ironic that BGP make a huge difference to this race meeting when 15 plus years ago Auckland had a CEO (how can we forget that fool) Weaver.

As well as stuffing up the racing calendar, he declared that punters with  best bets hanging out of their pockets could effectively piss off as he was looking for Posers and A Listers who could look good for  selfies whilst holding wine glasses. He thought they could make more money that way.

Well the punters did piss off, the beautiful people got tired  of selfies and   the Auckland Cup on a Wednesday was down to  the barmen and a few posers. Now with the exception of this meeting Auckland needs to "rent a crowd'

In addition NZTR should not be subsidising these Million dollar races to the tune of $500k plus. For all the hooplah of last evening, it would be the industry's most expensive day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bloke said:

In addition NZTR should not be subsidising these Million dollar races to the tune of $500k plus. For all the hooplah of last evening, it would be the industry's most expensive day. 

Yep, it is a costly day - as you say, why would the industry fund sales restricted races. Stupidity.

BGP has its place - but the issue is that other punters simply can't get the bets on they are allowed to. Now they have been losers overall. But if the last race had come in for them last night, they may have more than squared that ledger. I wonder if the TAB would have looked at restricting them if that had happened. We won't know of course, and the TAB wants to keep the BGP punters themselves going. It would be interesting to know how much additional betting was done by BGP members during that meeting. Certainly, the tote pools were pathetic. BGP bets on some races was as high as the entire commingled win and place tote pools.

55 minutes ago, Bloke said:

I am pleased for BGP because betting is so vital to the success of racing. I find it ironic that BGP make a huge difference to this race meeting when 15 plus years ago Auckland had a CEO (how can we forget that fool) Weaver.

As well as stuffing up the racing calendar, he declared that punters with  best bets hanging out of their pockets could effectively piss off as he was looking for Posers and A Listers who could look good for  selfies whilst holding wine glasses. He thought they could make more money that way.

Well the punters did piss off, the beautiful people got tired  of selfies and   the Auckland Cup on a Wednesday was down to  the barmen and a few posers. Now with the exception of this meeting Auckland needs to "rent a crowd'

I don't understand why Ellerslie can't have a blend of both, at all of it's big race days, including Karaka.  Open up the midfield to picnics and boot parties.  I suppose that would not be a good look, all the gentry having to look down on the hoi polloi.  They need to remember where they came from..

I'll never forget the phrase some wag on RC used about Chris Weaver and his wrecking of the Auckland carnival.  Now off selling mung beans and quinoa for his wife

I thought the day was a big success and the racing top class. Had younger friends who bought into syndicates that had runners in big races. They all flew up and spent heaps had a great time and now have others wanting to join in next purchase. The surprising thing is you would never see any of them going to Riccarton or Addington on a regular basis if at all.. Yet they are new blood and the future as they replace ageing owners and have required disposable income.

Say what you like about Te Akau and D Ellis  but  like Pitmans in South  without them TB racing would be  worse off by a long way.

Edited by Addington
  • Like 2

Those representative of the 10,000 that used to go along to the infield on Boxing Day and NYD, Labour and National voters who would come with a lot more than $2 in their pocket.

By the way, they didn't choose to stop coming, Ellerslie closed the infield so they couldn't come