The Race Place

Karaka Million what a yawn

Hesi

5 hours ago, barryb said:

People used to go to local club Rugby as well Hesi. 

Lifes changed, unfortunately many connected with racing are adverse to change & they whinge like you for a past thats gone.

Rugby Racing & Beer was what NZ used to be all about. I talked to an old Football mate who has recently retired to Greytown and he tells me that Greytown Football Club which was  only set up in recent years has 4 men's teams, a women's team and 150 odd kids playing. Meanwhile Greytown Rugby, one of NZ's oldest clubs struggles to field one Senior team.

I know that in Auckland and Wellington Football is about 3 times bigger than Rugby in participation but gee a country area such as the Wairarapa, I never expected that. 

1 hour ago, Bloke said:

Rugby Racing & Beer was what NZ used to be all about. I talked to an old Football mate who has recently retired to Greytown and he tells me that Greytown Football Club which was  only set up in recent years has 4 men's teams, a women's team and 150 odd kids playing. Meanwhile Greytown Rugby, one of NZ's oldest clubs struggles to field one Senior team.

I know that in Auckland and Wellington Football is about 3 times bigger than Rugby in participation but gee a country area such as the Wairarapa, I never expected that. 

Don't you think that is more to do with the head injury potential that has been brought to the surface in rugby and league, and the parents desire to avoid that

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mardigras said:

Yep, it is a costly day - as you say, why would the industry fund sales restricted races. Stupidity.

BGP has its place - but the issue is that other punters simply can't get the bets on they are allowed to. Now they have been losers overall. But if the last race had come in for them last night, they may have more than squared that ledger. I wonder if the TAB would have looked at restricting them if that had happened. We won't know of course, and the TAB wants to keep the BGP punters themselves going. It would be interesting to know how much additional betting was done by BGP members during that meeting. Certainly, the tote pools were pathetic. BGP bets on some races was as high as the entire commingled win and place tote pools.

Just out of interest, how much are they down across all their punters clubs?

32 minutes ago, London Trader said:

Just out of interest, how much are they down across all their punters clubs?

I'm not sure. They may be ahead, but not all of their betting has been on punters clubs. I'd say they would only be ahead due to the largess of the TAB topping up their losses and offering $50k bonus bets.

Can you tell ne the last time you received a $50k bonus bet? I think BGP made a profit of $100k off their last one. 

If BGP are head, it's a pretty interesting strategy to offer bonus bets to winning punters. Other winners, they restrict. Must be just an anomaly.

6 minutes ago, mardigras said:

I'm not sure. They may be ahead, but not all of their betting has been on punters clubs. I'd say they would only be ahead due to the largess of the TAB topping up their losses and offering $50k bonus bets.

Can you tell ne the last time you received a $50k bonus bet? I think BGP made a profit of $100k off their last one. 

If BGP are head, it's a pretty interesting strategy to offer bonus bets to winning punters. Other winners, they restrict. Must be just an anomaly.

Where else are they betting besides punters clubs?

1 minute ago, London Trader said:

Where else are they betting besides punters clubs?

Surely you know - you seem to know most things. They've been around quite a while - earlier on, they used to get their members that were interested to put money towards an individual one off bet. Surely as a follower, you know this.

3 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Surely you know - you seem to know most things. They've been around quite a while - earlier on, they used to get their members that were interested to put money towards an individual one off bet. Surely as a follower, you know this.

That's a punters club in most people's language. 

Just now, London Trader said:

That's a punters club in most people's language. 

My apologies. What's your point? You seem fixated with them. I actually have been supporting them - was very hopeful their last bet on Saturday was successful. Even said so on this site.

Thanks for enlightening me on what is a punters club. I guess every bet I place now, is a punters club bet. I thought I'd only run two punters clubs. Seems I've run around 100,000 of them.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bloke said:

There are so many global opportunities for New Zealand rugby players, even at a club level so I think that’s a bit to do with it. The club I am involved in regularly has players going offshore even to places like Romania and Sri Lanka. 

I think Hesi is probably also partly right there are plenty concerned re head knocks and rugby has a huge churn after secondary school. 

I also think Barry makes a good point about the demographics of Greytown. 

15 minutes ago, Tonkatime said:

There are so many global opportunities for New Zealand rugby players, even at a club level so I think that’s a bit to do with it. The club I am involved in regularly has players going offshore even to places like Romania and Sri Lanka. 

I think Hesi is probably also partly right there are plenty concerned re head knocks and rugby has a huge churn after secondary school. 

I have mentioned this before. Karori is the largest suburb in the Wellington City boundary and they do not have one senior rugby team. If you look on the website of Waterside Karori Football club they state that they have nearly 1,000 players and 100 teams.

There are a number of colleges in Wellington who cannot field a Rugby Team. 

26 minutes ago, Bloke said:

I have mentioned this before. Karori is the largest suburb in the Wellington City boundary and they do not have one senior rugby team. If you look on the website of Waterside Karori Football club they state that they have nearly 1,000 players and 100 teams.

There are a number of colleges in Wellington who cannot field a Rugby Team. 

Karori are involved with West who got relegated a few years back. They do have a senior rugby team, granted it’s not in the top flight but that’s party due to them being relegated and the competition format changing shortly after. 

Wests have one of the strongest junior set ups in Wellington and good junior numbers but they loose them all at secondary school as there is no college in their area and other city clubs tend to recruit them from college. 

On 1/23/2022 at 8:24 PM, mardigras said:

I guess every bet I place now, is a punters club bet. I thought I'd only run two punters clubs. Seems I've run around 100,000 of them.

i don't follow your logic here?  isn't there a difference between members (more than one) putting money towards a bet, which London Trader likened to a punters club, and you placing bets for yourself?

22 minutes ago, Our Maizcay said:

i don't follow your logic here?  isn't there a difference between members (more than one) putting money towards a bet, which London Trader likened to a punters club, and you placing bets for yourself?

Well, since the money I invest towards punting relates to more than one person (I call that a club). That makes my bets a punters club. More than one person contributing to a single bet.

Are you saying I have that wrong now?

Edited by mardigras

On 1/23/2022 at 10:45 PM, Tonkatime said:

right, that'll be enuf of dissing the Mustelid's former home town and alma mater Kuranui College, thank you gentlemen. The ascendancy of Max from the so-called 'crim / drug dealing capital' of the country is in itself proof that even the backblocks of provincial Noo Zeelan can produce bright and shining gems of the world. I didnt get where I am today (running the Max Factory) without learning a thing or two from Kuranui...though most memories seem to involve running away as fast as Max's little legs could carry him from the bullyboys and local iwi ratbags who wanted to 'dub me' on my bike!

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 1