The Race Place

not such a karaka field ...

Maximus

2 hours ago, Hesi said:

Max is a powder puff

sticks and stones, old son ... better to be a powder puff than a powder poof.

This thread was seeking opinions on the quality of the Karaka Cup field and why it's so bad...

no-one has offered much of value to that, except to highlight the punting aspects (there's more to racing than punting unless you're a big cuddly growling bear called barry) .

Now we're on to the 2yo race and the machinations of Te Ah Cow manipulating things to suit themselves (as if they'd be expected to do any different!)
Millions night has become a boring boring puke-fest IMO as the cameras go from 'gobsmacked' Karyn to manic mobs of owners and BGP to Emily interviewing hubby again, to the sycophantic TA cheerleader Guerin talking down to anyone still listening. Thank God for the mute button.

MM

Edited by Maximus

12 minutes ago, Maximus said:

This thread was seeking opinions on the quality of the Karaka Cup field and why it's so bad...

no-one has offered much of value to that

Heck, I thought my first post said why that is likely. There aren't any handicap staying events getting high rating fields currently. There are few high rated stayers that would be likely to target handicaps racing at the moment.

Similar to Oz. Did you see the field assembled for the MM stayers race last weekend? A million dollar event - the winner at #4 carrying 54 and a 75 rated horse. 

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Heck, I thought my first post said why that is likely. There aren't any handicap staying events getting high rating fields currently. There are few high rated stayers that would be likely to target handicaps racing at the moment.

Similar to Oz. Did you see the field assembled for the MM stayers race last weekend? A million dollar event - the winner at #4 carrying 54 and a 75 rated horse. 

noted. mardi... but why so few stayers targeting this race? The Gold Cost equivalent attracted 13 acceptors, 12 started

2 minutes ago, Maximus said:

noted. mardi... but why so few stayers targeting this race? The Gold Cost equivalent attracted 13 acceptors, 12 started

Don't know. Maybe the 65 - 70 rated runners in the main didn't think they would make the field. 8 at Gold Coast were rated 72 or less. Only 1 at Ellerslie.

As for the impending Trackside buildup and coverage of the meeting tomorrow:

Q1: Has Trackside recruited Danielle Johnson as a comments person? (If not, why not.)

Q2: Have they prepared brief profiles of all the contenders (equine/human), or is it all about Jamie / Te AhCow again? 

Q3: Will the Stewards read their version of the Riot Act (esp whip use/interference/tempo changes) before the meet? Will anyone listen?

MM

15 minutes ago, Maximus said:

As for the impending Trackside buildup and coverage of the meeting tomorrow:

Q1: Has Trackside recruited Danielle Johnson as a comments person? (If not, why not.)

Q2: Have they prepared brief profiles of all the contenders (equine/human), or is it all about Jamie / Te AhCow again? 

Q3: Will the Stewards read their version of the Riot Act (esp whip use/interference/tempo changes) before the meet? Will anyone listen?

MM

Probably no to all three questions.

If you want to, or not, as the case maybe, if you could go onto the Te Akau website, you will see all seven horses in the two, one million dollar races, profiled at the stables, by Jamie.

4 hours ago, Double R said:

Probably no to all three questions.

If you want to, or not, as the case maybe, if you could go onto the Te Akau website, you will see all seven horses in the two, one million dollar races, profiled at the stables, by Jamie.

cheers Rx2 ....I don't need to see more about TA...want to know more about the rest of the fields!

MM

9 minutes ago, Maximus said:

cheers Rx2 ....I don't need to see more about TA...want to know more about the rest of the fields!

MM

TAB website, Punters lounge The Leg Up and Trackside Interviews, a few others talked about other than Te Akau

Get your glad rags and lippy on Max and shoot the breeze

Just now, Double R said:

You know you need to see more TA stuff Max!!! Wolverine is going to be based there too.

no mate ..I want Trackside to show fair and balanced reporting of the races they are broadcasting, not just taking the easy option of talking to JR and a couple of others.

Seen anything about Diss is Dramatic? Any of the Rogerson horses? Steven Cole's horse?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hesi said:

TAB website, Punters lounge The Leg Up and Trackside Interviews, a few others talked about other than Te Akau

Get your glad rags and lippy on Max and shoot the breeze

saving the glad rags for tomorrow nite when I've smacked up the very rood captain pete in PJ's Comp ...powder puff indeed!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Maximus said:

no mate ..I want Trackside to show fair and balanced reporting of the races they are broadcasting, not just taking the easy option of talking to JR and a couple of others.

Seen anything about Diss is Dramatic? Any of the Rogerson horses? Steven Cole's horse?

And ask the hard questions, like they do in Aus, was there really anything wrong with Grace"N"Grey, how many services to Time Test did you get for next season

7 minutes ago, Hesi said:

And ask the hard questions, like they do in Aus, was there really anything wrong with Grace"N"Grey, how many services to Time Test did you get for next season

I don't see any conspiracy - if there was, the syndicate owners of the scratched horse would be mighty pissed off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mardigras said:

I don't see any conspiracy - if there was, the syndicate owners of the scratched horse would be mighty pissed off.

How do you know they are not?  How do you know they haven't just been told the horse has a minor muscle issue, end of story. Also being a syndicate, headed by KFE, there could be quite a few of them.  You rock the boat, you might not get into another syndicate

9 minutes ago, Hesi said:

How do you know they are not?  How do you know they haven't just been told the horse has a minor muscle issue, end of story. Also being a syndicate, headed by KFE, there could be quite a few of them.  You rock the boat, you might not get into another syndicate

Might not get into another syndicate?? That would be the bonus - I'd want out of the current one. TA aren't even the syndicate owners of the other one are they? I think TA would rather get their own winner than a promise of a few matings.

Edited by mardigras
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mardigras said:

Might not get into another syndicate?? That would be the bonus - I'd want out of the current one. TA aren't even the syndicate owners of the other one are they?

Yes, I checked the figs once, too much ticket clipping going on, other syndicates a lot leaner

I could be wrong here, but this really looks like TA looking after their mates, other big breeders, and themselves, if Time Flies puts another Million on the belt.  If it runs down the track, then you can say you were right........and I'll agree.

Time Flies owned by Little Avondale Trust and Chris Rutten, bloodstock agent.  Little Avondale stand Time Test, who has done very well with 3 in the Million

53 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Of course as a syndicate member you would be disappointed, as many of them had bookings to come up to see the horse run. Unfortunately, this is racing, and I have no problem with the horse's welfare being put before any damage that could be done, regardless of the race.

• Like 1