The Race Place

NZ Cup , the Great Race x 4

Lightning Blue

For Trivia this week, I have assembled 4 starting line-ups of NZ Cup Winners, All  from the A-Z list of Great Harness horses thread , to quiz on.

Barrier draw is alphabetical. 

AND The NZ CUP should always of remained a Handicap , and the race winners have been given a 10m or 12yd handicap for every Cup Win.

RACE 1:  Pre-decimal Era  ,     RACE 2: Golden Era (from 1973 when Scr became Limit)  ,  RACE 3: The Fast Era (4.00 minute 2 mile horses )

RACE 4 : The Triple A's >>> AAA for the  Allstars v Aussies Adversaries.  

Here's the FIELDS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Race 1 . Pre Decimals              Race 2. Golden Era               Race 3. Fast Class             Race 4.  AAA's Allstars Aussies.

1) Caduceus                             1) Arapaho                             1) Blossom Lady                   1) Adore Me      

2) Cardigan Bay                      2) Armalight                            2) Changeover                    2) Arden Rooney

3) Globe Bay                           3) Bonnies Chance                 3) Chokin                             3) Cruz Bromac

4) Humphrey                           4) Borana                                4) Christopher Vance         4) Fly Like an Eagle

5) Johnny Globe                     5) Camelot                              5) Christian Cullen              5) For A Reason

6)  Manaroa                            6) Delightful Lady                   6) Christen Me                    6) Lightning Blue

7) Lookaway                           7) Hands Down                       7) Copy That                       7) Our Maestro

8 ) Robin Dundee                    8 ) Lord Module                      8 ) Elsu                                8 ) Preux Chevalier

9) Thunder                              9) Lunar Chance                     9) Inky Lord                        9) Self Assured

10) True Averil                        10) Master Mood                    10) Iraklis                             10) Smoken Up

11) Van Dieman                       11) Robalan                             11) Luxury Liner                   11) Smolda

12) Haughty       (12 yards)     12) Sapling                             12) Master Musician            12) Spankem

13) Highland Fling (12 yds)    13) Stanley Rio                       13) Mainland Banner           13) Steel Jaw

14) Lordship      (12 yards)     14) Sole Command                14) Yulestar                          14) The Fixer

15) False Step   (24 yards)    15) Trusty Scot                       15) Il Vicolo          (10m)        15) Tiger Tara 

16) Indianapolis (24 yards)    16) Young Quinn                    16) Just an Excuse (10m)     16) Flashing Red  (10m)

17) Monkey King     (10m)     17) Lazarus   (10m)

18) Terror To Love   (20m) 

• Like 1

Trivia Quiz Question 1 . 

In Race 1 . The Pre-Decimals     There are 3 horses that are 'Odd Ones Out' for a very important reason ...........

Who are the 3 horses ?  What is the reason ?  (for 4 points).   If you only think you know 1 , have a go by all means.

Part 2 . From these Barrier draws , can you pick the Trifecta ???  Match 'exactly' to Lightning Blue (10 points)  (or same placegetters  gathers 2 points each horse) 

back later tonight with answer. p.s (i sent copy of my trifecta to Pete, so can't fiddle result after entries are in , lol.......)

Edited by Lightning Blue

30 minutes ago, Trotslover said:

Caduceus,malaria and robin Dundee never won the cup 

30 minutes ago, Trotslover said:

i mean manoroa

Yes Trotslover takes the 4 points with naming  the three Great horses that came up just short of the Nz Cup victory . (Max the Factor will be happy to see Trotslover in form there before taking The AyBees on next Saturday I'm sure ) That won't be as easy a 4 points ? lol.

'Robin Dundee' beaten into 2nd place a total of 3 times in the Nz Cup . Must of thought they killed a black cat running up against 'Lordship' and 'Cardigan Bay' so many times. 

Fun Fact : 'Robin Dundee' plucked a Win in the very first NSW Miracle Mile running 1.59 , the first horse ever to break 2.00 mins in a race in Aus .....

before heading to USA , where her race- form was moderate. BUT once again she was placed 2nd to the Nz champ the mighty 'Cardigan Bay' in a $15k Freehold pace Special, Cardy's very Last Race !! that took him to that million dollar status. First horse ever to win $1,000,000.  Robin Dundee not spoiling the Party. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, karrotsishere said:

Can you give a clue as to what you might be thinking when you selected your Trifecta? Otherwise its a lil like trying to pick lotto numbers 😆

Sure Karrots !!!. With all these excellent horses I Thought a trifecta could give some of the fans some involvement. Was doing Race 1 today , comprised of the older horses from before 1972. 

Will do the other race trifecta's  'One per Day' this week, along with some trivia questions. TrotsLover correctly answered today's question already.

Clue is: It' s a 'popularity contest ', so anything you've heard of the 'most' is a likely 'contender' for a place.

I put all my trifecta picks for the 4 Fields of great horses with Pete already. You can do race 1 , (result later tonight) or all them if you want .  

10 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Sure Karrots !!!. With all these excellent horses I Thought a trifecta could give some of the fans some involvement. Was doing Race 1 today , comprised of the older horses from before 1972. 

Will do the other race trifecta's  'One per Day' this week, along with some trivia questions. TrotsLover correctly answered today's question already.

Clue is: It' s a 'popularity contest ', so anything you've heard of the 'most' is a likely 'contender' for a place.

I put all my trifecta picks for the 4 Fields of great horses with Pete already. You can do race 1 , (result later tonight) or all them if you want .  

Ok well will have to go with the ones Iv heard of which is only 2

2. (Cardigan Bay)

14. (Lordship)

& a random pick

5. (Jonny Globe)

2/14/5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Australia Day today , and a great way to start out is to look at the 'Greats of New Zealand Harness'  sorted into 4 NZ Cup winners Fields. !! brilliant.

Race 1 is complete above.

Now looking at Race 2 The Golden Era Cup winners.

Question 1 . Pick the 3 horses that are 'odd one's out' in this great 'Golden Era " line-up .  (3 points)

Question  2. Name the 'Golden Era' Trifecta as selected by LB and lodged with Pete. (10 points exact, or 2 points each correct horse) 

Race 1 . Pre Decimals              Race 2. Golden Era               Race 3. Fast Class             Race 4.  AAA's Allstars Aussies.

1) Caduceus                             1) Arapaho                             1) Blossom Lady                   1) Adore Me      

2) Cardigan Bay                      2) Armalight                            2) Changeover                    2) Arden Rooney

3) Globe Bay                           3) Bonnies Chance                 3) Chokin                             3) Cruz Bromac

4) Humphrey                           4) Borana                                4) Christopher Vance         4) Fly Like an Eagle

5) Johnny Globe                     5) Camelot                              5) Christian Cullen              5) For A Reason

6)  Manaroa                            6) Delightful Lady                   6) Christen Me                    6) Lightning Blue

7) Lookaway                           7) Hands Down                       7) Copy That                       7) Our Maestro

8 ) Robin Dundee                    8 ) Lord Module                      8 ) Elsu                                8 ) Preux Chevalier

9) Thunder                              9) Lunar Chance                     9) Inky Lord                        9) Self Assured

10) True Averil                        10) Master Mood                    10) Iraklis                             10) Smoken Up

11) Van Dieman                       11) Robalan                             11) Luxury Liner                   11) Smolda

12) Haughty       (12 yards)     12) Sapling                             12) Master Musician            12) Spankem

13) Highland Fling (12 yds)    13) Stanley Rio                       13) Mainland Banner           13) Steel Jaw

14) Lordship      (12 yards)     14) Sole Command                14) Yulestar                          14) The Fixer

15) False Step   (24 yards)    15) Trusty Scot                       15) Il Vicolo          (10m)        15) Tiger Tara 

16) Indianapolis (24 yards)    16) Young Quinn                    16) Just an Excuse (10m)     16) Flashing Red  (10m)

17) Monkey King     (10m)     17) Lazarus   (10m)

18) Terror To Love   (20m) 

Going on previous results, I’ll go for the 6-8-12 trifecta, all so close to winning the Cup, but not to be.

I’d rate Elsu as the best horse not to win it.

Now. To pick the tri out of that lot?, Geez! Thinking cap on!

Oops, a day early, will go back and look at the golden era. My bad

Edited by Blackie

I may be way off the mark here, but if memory serves 3 of the horses in this line up one the cup , but the following year finished third.

Robalan won in 74 finished 3rd in 75

Hands Down won in 80 finished 3rd in 81

Bonnies Chance won in 82  finished 3rd in 83

Tfa ...... very very difulcult this one on so many levels.

For that reason I am going with the never say die war horses in this era, these three just would not lie down in a fight.😁

Hands Down, Bonnies Chance, Delightful Lady 

As an aside Hands Down win over Delightful Lady was an epic battle and it was very similar if i remember to the battle of Bonecrusher/Waverly Star 

first / second and daylight back to sapling/the filbert 

I stand to be corrected if i got this wrong 😁

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blackie said:

Golden Era trifecta:

Lord Module - Young Quinn - Delightful Lady

Hi Blackie,at first glance,My Golden Era Trifecta mirrored yours,though with Lord Module & Young Quinn in reverse order.

However,then interpreted LB's Fields to only be made up of NZ Cup Winners,& Surprisingly Young Quinn/Delightful Lady never Won this great race!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Gallivant said:

Robalan won in 74 finished 3rd in 75

Started in the Cup I think 6 or seven times. I went on sheer class, he had it in spades and raced against all the new up and comers, finally winning at 8.

Young Quinn had an off 4yr old yr as a lot do and finished 3rd. But no doubting his longevity and supreme ability either.

Lord Module for me was a freak when right, but a troubled horse mentally and physically, but over came them to produce some stunning performances.

IMHO. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Josias said:

Golden Era Odd Ones Out

*DELIGHTFUL LADY*SAPLING*YOUNG QUINN

Correct !! !!!!!   3 points to Josias , with the three Lovely horses that didn't win the Cup. 

Delightful Lady had headed off Hands Down , but then he fought back . Sapling run down by the trailing Trusty Scott (same as Interdominion by the trailing Rondel) 

and Quinny was only 3rd twice ??? a surprise he didn't win one of the 2 go's . (but Robalan and StanleyR were pretty solid opponents I spose) 

• Thanks 1

Just doing an evening Aussie barbeque for Australia day , even though pissing rain at the mo.

A quick look at the trifecta's selected for that grou of great horses.

I went for Young Quinn, as he took on the world (aus and USA) and deserved a NZ Cup , so giving him one right here at the Race Place lol....

so I lodged with Pete. 1st Young Quinn , 2nd Robalan, 3rd Lord Module .  all three being peoples favourites amid a field of favourites .

Josias picked 2 of them , Blackie picked 2 of them , Enteebee picked 2 of them, Karrots got 2 of them, so All 4 points each . Thats is great picking.....

Rex missed out this time (but love those horses Rex)  and trots lover had Lord Module so picks up 2 points.

Globe Derby Rees is the STAR   !!!  he picks up 10 points nailing the Trifecta in order . Very Well done indeed  . 16-11-8 for race 2 now official ! lol......

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The Golden Era produced a New Leader at the 1/2 way mark in the 4 Nz Cups races,  as GlobeDerby Rees loops the field to take over,  

Globe Derby 10 points, Blackie and Karrots move up to 8 points, Josias had a Big day and is on 7 points, Trotslover handy on 6 points, Rex  and Enteebee both have 4 points thus far. 

Edited by Lightning Blue