The Race Place

NZ Cup , the Great Race x 4

Lightning Blue

Day 3 and it's Race 3 . The Fast class . Horses I think could of got near breaking  4.00 mins in the Cup for the 2 miles , and most probably did.

A terrific line-up here. anyone can have a crack at 1 or all of the 3 quiz questions.

Question 1 ). Name the three horses 'Odd one's out' in the Cup winners quiz from Race 3 (Fast Class) ?     3 points

Question 2 ). There is a very nice line-up of derby winners in NZ but surprisingly Very few have  won the NZ Cup !! Krug could be wishful thinking? The superstar LAZARUS of                   course pulled off the derby double and then Nz Cup.

**(from race 1 Lordship, Caduceus, Johnny Globe and False Step all won derbies) then there were 'none 'from the golden era race 2 to win a derby ? hard to believe.....

So, Which 3 horses bucked that trend in Race 3 (Fast Class field ) that won both Derbies and the NZ Cup ?    3 points 

Question 3 ) Pick the RACE 3 Trifecta as LB likely would, as per race 1 and 2 .  10 points exact as LB, or 2 pts per correct horse selected LB trifecta lodged with Pete.

Race 1 . Pre Decimals              Race 2. Golden Era               Race 3. Fast Class             Race 4.  AAA's Allstars v Aussies.

1) Caduceus                             1) Arapaho                             1) Blossom Lady                   1) Adore Me      

2) Cardigan Bay                      2) Armalight                            2) Changeover                    2) Arden Rooney

3) Globe Bay                           3) Bonnies Chance                 3) Chokin                             3) Cruz Bromac

4) Humphrey                           4) Borana                                4) Christopher Vance         4) Fly Like an Eagle

5) Johnny Globe                     5) Camelot                              5) Christian Cullen              5) For A Reason

6)  Manaroa                            6) Delightful Lady                   6) Christen Me                    6) Lightning Blue

7) Lookaway                           7) Hands Down                       7) Copy That                       7) Our Maestro

8 ) Robin Dundee                    8 ) Lord Module                      8 ) Elsu                                8 ) Preux Chevalier

9) Thunder                              9) Lunar Chance                     9) Inky Lord                        9) Self Assured

10) True Averil                        10) Master Mood                    10) Iraklis                             10) Smoken Up

11) Van Dieman                       11) Robalan                             11) Luxury Liner                   11) Smolda

12) Haughty       (12 yards)     12) Sapling                             12) Master Musician            12) Spankem

13) Highland Fling (12 yds)    13) Stanley Rio                       13) Mainland Banner           13) Steel Jaw

14) Lordship      (12 yards)     14) Sole Command                14) Yulestar                          14) The Fixer

15) False Step   (24 yards)    15) Trusty Scot                       15) Il Vicolo          (10m)        15) Tiger Tara 

16) Indianapolis (24 yards)    16) Young Quinn                    16) Just an Excuse (10m)     16) Flashing Red  (10m)

17) Monkey King     (10m)     17) Lazarus   (10m)

18) Terror To Love   (20m) 

Edited by Lightning Blue
correction
  • Like 1

Q1..If you snooze/you lose.Agree with Blackie.Never Won NZCup. 6*Christen Me x 8*Elsu  x12*Master Musician:

Q2..Derby Winners & NZ Cup Winners:

#2 Changeover *Great Northern Derby*NZ Derby*NZ Cup

#4 Christover Vance *Great Northern Derby*NZ Cup

#9 Inky Lord *Great Northern Derby*NZ Cup

#15 Il Vicolo *NZ Derby*NZ Cup

#17 Monkey King *Great Northern Derby*NZ Cup

Q3..Race Trifecta *3 Chokin (Brilliant Horse NZ Cup & 2 Auckland Cups 3200m) *2 Changeover (Dual Derby Winner & NZ Cup Race Record Time) *5 Christian Cullen (NZ Cup Equal Record Time & Too Brilliant to leave out)

Handicaps Too Harsh For Dual Cup Winners!!!

4 hours ago, Blackie said:

6-8-12, Christian Me, Elsu & Master Musician never won the Cup, but oh so close the 3 of them, matter of inches to glory sometimes.

Question 1 Trivia Correct answer !! well done Blackie!. Poor old Elsu, and Master Musician as well, were both 2nd on 2 occasions each in the Nz Cup.

So close yet so far. ?                           Blackie moves up to 11 points and takes the quiz trivia lead . Josias gets 1 point for Christen Me (spelling) as well. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Josias said:

Q2..Derby Winners & NZ Cup Winners:

#2 Changeover *Great Northern Derby*NZ Derby*NZ Cup

#4 Christover Vance *Great Northern Derby*NZ Cup

#9 Inky Lord *Great Northern Derby*NZ Cup

#15 Il Vicolo *NZ Derby*NZ Cup

#17 Monkey King *Great Northern Derby*NZ Cup

Question 2) Trivia Quiz is overdone by Josias here. From Race 3 , I was looking for Double Derby/ with an Nz Cup winning 3 horses  , (very rare) .

I made an error , as was thinking Changeover, Il Vicolo and Inky Lord all completed the 'Hat-trick'.  (Brilliant 'double Derby' winner ELSU was only 2nd in the Cup).

'Changeover' and 'Il Vicolo' Won All Three races ok , but 'Inky Lord' was defeated by 'Westburn Grant' as a 3 year-old in the Nz Derby so is sadly eliminated.

so it's 2 points only for Josias for question 2.    (top 3 are now Blackie 11, Globe 10, Josias 10...)

Question 3) Trifecta .  Harness Fans could take any-combo and be a 'chance' in the mighty Race 3 FAST Class field. ?? back later with the lodged answer of popular horses. Anyone is welcome to have a guess at it.

Edited by Lightning Blue

4 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Where is yr answer LB. Getting late and I am getting tired , although two more races to come from Cambridge yet. 

Well in a very open field of solid horses I lodged with Pete 2 days ago,  the trifecta of 1st Copy That (as stopped the incredible Allstars run of Cup wins) , 2nd Christian Cullen , 3rd Terror To Love (even though would be near impossible off 20m for the Terror, against this amazing field) But three NZ Cup Wins  !! just incredible , and deserves his fans and recognition.

Todays correct selections see Josias and Blackie with 2 points each from selecting Christian Cullen.

Sir Gallivant Rex with 4 points ! from Christian Cullen and Terror To Love (great work Rex !!!  ) and bad luck Rees a quiet one for you today.

Karrots the Big Winner ! and storms to the lead . selecting the Correct 3 horses !! so has 6 points from that and Bonus 2 points for Quinella. 

One race left and Points board is Karrots 16 pts, Blackie 13 pts, Josias 12 pts, GlobeD 10 pts, Rex 8 pts, TrotsLover 6 pts, and EnteeBee 4 pts.

• Thanks 1

Final round of Nz Cup trivia,  has some Aussie battlers taking on the might of Allstars . Race 4. AAA's Aussies V Allstars

Not a lot of Aussie luck there with not many getting any Oz glory in Nz Cup . Poor old 'Gammalite' hasn't even made the field !!  after a couple of unplaced efforts. 

Question 1 ) Name the 4 Aussie trained horses that DID take a NZ Cup home with them with a win ?  from Race 4. Aussies V Allstars .   4 points

Question 2 ) A  'Cup curse' that Tactician may have started , and that Aussie stars 'Gammalite' and 'Smoken Up'  also endured (I don't think 'Our Sir Vancelot' or 'I'm ThemightyQuinn' had a crack at winning the NZ Cup )...... The curse may have stopped 2 Nz Champions winning at Addington as well ..................

so, from ANY era (any horse named in the 4 races) can you name the 2 kiwi champs ? and what is the 'curse' that stopped them winning a Nz Cup ?   3 points

Question 3 ) name your Trifecta  for Race 4 AAA's Aussies V Allstars  ?    good luck ! 10 points if matches LB selections ,  or 2 points each correct horse selected.

Points scoreboard is Karrots 16 pts, Blackie 13 pts, Josias 12 pts, GlobeD 10 pts, Rex 8 pts, TrotsLover 6 pts, and EnteeBee 4 pts.

Race 1 . Pre Decimals              Race 2. Golden Era               Race 3. Fast Class             Race 4.  AAA's Allstars v Aussies.

1) Caduceus                             1) Arapaho                             1) Blossom Lady                   1) Adore Me      

2) Cardigan Bay                      2) Armalight                            2) Changeover                    2) Arden Rooney

3) Globe Bay                           3) Bonnies Chance                 3) Chokin                             3) Cruz Bromac

4) Humphrey                           4) Borana                                4) Christopher Vance         4) Fly Like an Eagle

5) Johnny Globe                     5) Camelot                              5) Christian Cullen              5) For A Reason

6)  Manaroa                            6) Delightful Lady                   6) Christen Me                    6) Lightning Blue

7) Lookaway                           7) Hands Down                       7) Copy That                       7) Our Maestro

8 ) Robin Dundee                    8 ) Lord Module                      8 ) Elsu                                8 ) Preux Chevalier

9) Thunder                              9) Lunar Chance                     9) Inky Lord                        9) Self Assured

10) True Averil                        10) Master Mood                    10) Iraklis                             10) Smoken Up

11) Van Dieman                       11) Robalan                             11) Luxury Liner                   11) Smolda

12) Haughty       (12 yards)     12) Sapling                             12) Master Musician            12) Spankem

13) Highland Fling (12 yds)    13) Stanley Rio                       13) Mainland Banner           13) Steel Jaw

14) Lordship      (12 yards)     14) Sole Command                14) Yulestar                          14) The Fixer

15) False Step   (24 yards)    15) Trusty Scot                       15) Il Vicolo          (10m)        15) Tiger Tara 

16) Indianapolis (24 yards)    16) Young Quinn                    16) Just an Excuse (10m)     16) Flashing Red  (10m)

17) Monkey King     (10m)     17) Lazarus   (10m)

18) Terror To Love   (20m) 

12 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

Karrots the Big Winner ! and storms to the lead . selecting the Correct 3 horses !! so has 6 points from that and Bonus 2 points for Quinella. 

That was a great guess. The pressure cooker now to stay in the front, is there any gas left in the tank ... As the herd head round the final 400 metres. 

ADORE ME, LIGHTNING BLUE, LAZARUS

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Josias said:

Q1.*Arden Rooney *Flashing Red *Lightning Blue *Steel Jaw

5 hours ago, Blackie said:

1. Is this a trick question? I can only see 3 in that line up - Arden Rooney,  Lightning Blue, Steel Jaw

Josias has it . Flashing Red was bought from Tassie by disgraced DQed  QLD trainer Stuart Hunter and his associates for $40k, and I saw him race and win many times for them at Albion Park, and believe Hunter was still training for those NZ Cup raids.   (4 points Josias, 3 points Blackie )

5 hours ago, Blackie said:

2.  The Curse? Being favourite in The Cup :Master Musician 1993, Elsu 2004

That answer is not the one I'm after. The full list of horses involved that I mentioned is the clue (but i'll add more to help with the trivia) 

Tactician, First Lee NSW, Gammalite VIC, Mark Hanover, Our Sir Vancelot, Smoken Up/I'm ThemightyQuinn, Ultimate Sniper. 

so Question 2 remains open . Can you name the 2 horses from any of the 4 Nz cup fields to add to this list of horses??  and Why?   2 points

2 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

I don't believe that is the case. They are credited with training him so one must assume that was in NZ. 

No worries , I shall dock Josias the point then lol.... , and GlobeD gains 2 points for for spotting a question inaccuracy thanks. 

The last Interdominion I attended was 2006 Hobart when travelling with Qld support group , and All 4 heats were won by the Queenslanders on night 1. I t was quite extroadinary , and our group got interviewed on Tas tele claiming to be The Lucky Charms lol....... 

winners were BlacksAFake for Nat, BeGoodJohnny and SlipNSlide for team McCarthy (based in Qld then) and Flashing Red for Hunter. great memories......

• Like 1