Name the Trainer ?

CLUES :

Won 11 races.

6 were special.

All six are still run for today.

1 was a listed Race

era pre 1980's

one more clue to come if its to vague and hard 😁

(has a special meaning for me) not owned by me or any of my family. Just a special relevance to a member of my family.) 

Confused so am I  🤣

19 minutes ago, Sir Gallivant said:

YES  😁

That's really funny Rex. By co-incidence one of the best standardbreds I ever had was named Frederick. Can't find a decent photo but here he is 4th (number 1 ) in the Great Northern Derby at Alexandra Park during the 1980's.

I took him up to Brisbane once where he ran 4th in 1.55 to the local Champion 'Wondai's Mate' . a super quick time for those days in the 80's.. a freak race. 

Thankfully I got him for a while to mess around with in Queensland after that, and is near my favourite horse of all time  !!! (along with Lightning Blue)

'FREDERICK' the great. ? Must be something in the name to make them very special? .  gods blessing.

DSC02693.JPG

Well when I was a teenager I had a girlfriend  (Oh yes in the days of the mini skirt) who lived in Belmont which is in the hills above Lower Hutt. At the time there were some semi rural properties and my girl friend's neighbour had a few horses on the property and I recall that one was later named Frederick.

Frederik was my Dad's name .... in 1971 Frederik the horse won the LISTED PARLIAMENTARY HANDICAP and followed that up with two wins in the grand national hurdles , won the hawkes bay hurdles the wellington steeplechase and the McGregor Grant steeplechase.

Mrs B. Marsden was the owner ...... Eroll Skelton the trainer and WD Skelton rode him to win the Parliamentry.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sir Gallivant said:

Frederik was my Dad's name .... in 1971 Frederik the horse won the LISTED PARLIAMENTARY HANDICAP and followed that up with two wins in the grand national hurdles , won the hawkes bay hurdles the wellington steeplechase and the McGregor Grant steeplechase.

Mrs B. Marsden was the owner ...... Eroll Skelton the trainer and WD Skelton rode him to win the Parliamentry.

Rex, her name was Maureen Madsen and she had also owned Rose Mellay who won the Auckland Cup. She was quite a stunning-looking woman to boot as well as a highly successful owner !

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Back to Frederik - didn't Maureen Madsen train him herself at one stage?

Also remember Frisky Fred - Alan Kaye at awapuni trained and often ridden by Reg King.

Reg King !! I'd forgotten about Reg !!

Maureen was given Frederik as a wedding present by her husband Bent. Not sure if she trained him but it's quite possible. She certainly trained Rose Mellay when she defeated the Auckland Cup field by 8 lengths which contained Battle Heights, Wiremu, Curly wave, Sharda, Hi-Bing, Fort Hagen & Simon de Montfort

23 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Old age problem - name not coming to me but was it something like Beattie?

Maybe the same guy that Larry Cassidy was apprenticed to at Awapuni. Jockey in photo R Lammas?

Barney Lumsden, real tough old character from Foxton. His best horses were probably Rough Planet, Dural and Kiora Star

2 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Reg King !! I'd forgotten about Reg !!

Maureen was given Frederik as a wedding present by her husband Bent. Not sure if she trained him but it's quite possible. She certainly trained Rose Mellay when she defeated the Auckland Cup field by 8 lengths which contained Battle Heights, Wiremu, Curly wave, Sharda, Hi-Bing, Fort Hagen & Simon de Montfort

Hi Peter.

Can you remember the lady who trained Sailing Home?

Did Barney Lumsden train Bally Castle?