The Race Place

Treatment of owners.

barryb

Friday week I am taking 4 others on flights to Chch, Accom booked, Rental Car, 2 nights dining out planned (Jaba restaurant), Saturday at Riccarton races, what a great weekend it will be.

But tonight with the risk of uncertainty around whether we can get into Riccarton as owners & the other shit around Covid and potential isolation I am pulling the pin in the morning. I am seriously thinking of giving ownership away for good, sick to death of clubs and everybody else kicking me in the guts constantly. Everyone has the hand out against the owner and throw in mediocre stakes & now the only joy left which is viewing your horse having been extinguished, it’s the final nail in the coffin.

Its unfair on people like Freda whom bust arse to look after us, to have some other cocks at the CJC who have zero idea about customer service, cut her out of potentially the next 1/2 doz horses I intended to invest in over the next 2-5 yrs. 
Instead we are now going to Tauranga for the weekend.

What a sad state of affairs this is, when crazy panic sets in, when the rest of the world is getting on with life.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, barryb said:

Friday week I am taking 4 others on flights to Chch, Accom booked, Rental Car, 2 nights dining out planned (Jaba restaurant), Saturday at Riccarton races, what a great weekend it will be.

But tonight with the risk of uncertainty around whether we can get into Riccarton as owners & the other shit around Covid and potential isolation I am pulling the pin in the morning. I am seriously thinking of giving ownership away for good, sick to death of clubs and everybody else kicking me in the guts constantly. Everyone has the hand out against the owner and throw in mediocre stakes & now the only joy left which is viewing your horse having been extinguished, it’s the final nail in the coffin.

Its unfair on people like Freda whom bust arse to look after us, to have some other cocks at the CJC who have zero idea about customer service, cut her out of potentially the next 1/2 doz horses I intended to invest in over the next 2-5 yrs. 
Instead we are now going to Tauranga for the weekend.

What a sad state of affairs this is, when crazy panic sets in, when the rest of the world is getting on with life.

barryb, if you decide to  ring Mills or someone at the club to find out what their plans are for owners and their guests at that meeting then please let us know what you find out. I can't be bothered anymore. I'll eat the non-refundable fares and other travel expenses from the last meeting but won't be doing that again even though I have other stuff to do down there for a few days and of course never know whether I'm going to have a runner on the day until the day so it's always a risk anyway. I accept that. But that clubs like the CJC would advise owners less than 48 hours prior to raceday that they were going to run as a closed meeting, is totally unacceptable. They had catered for owners each day of the cup meeting and the other two metro clubs, Trentham and Ellerslie managed to do so last weekend. Feels like they are just giving us the finger when we are paying to put on the show and professionals like Freda are trying to cater for owners and busting their butt as you say to present horses at the races to help fund the club's existence.

This is a club issue, not an NZTR one. Nor anyone else. The CJC are just sticking it up you. If you do go, love to catch up for a beer and a steak at JABA.

3 hours ago, Freda said:

I have emailed Jim Langan [ the 2 I.C ]  to find out the intentions.

Proactive of you Freda on behalf of your clients/owners but you really should not be having to do this. Doesn't the CJC have a Commercial/Marketing Manager still? Shouldn't he be liaising with owners that have had runners there in recent months to let them know their intentions re catering for them at upcoming meetings. Wtf are they doing down there? Do they not realise that we are paying costs towards stabling, track fees, trial fees etc. and therefore their salaries? To then get treated like shit just feels awful, especially when members of my family have been CJC members and supporters pretty much from its inception.

I ended up spending  a couple of hundred bucks at a Wellington hospitality joint last weekend and had another few hundred of bets on the meeting instead of doing so at Riccarton, all of which the CJC would have got a piece of if I were oncourse. They obviously don't think they need our money.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, curious said:

Proactive of you Freda on behalf of your clients/owners but you really should not be having to do this. Doesn't the CJC have a Commercial/Marketing Manager still? Shouldn't he be liaising with owners that have had runners there in recent months to let them know their intentions re catering for them at upcoming meetings. Wtf are they doing down there? Do they not realise that we are paying costs towards stabling, track fees, trial fees etc. and therefore their salaries? To then get treated like shit just feels awful, especially when members of my family have been CJC members and supporters pretty much from its inception.

I ended up spending  a couple of hundred bucks at a Wellington hospitality joint last weekend and had another few hundred of bets on the meeting instead of doing so at Riccarton, all of which the CJC would have got a piece of if I were oncourse. They obviously don't think they need our money.

Do clubs have a liaison officer, whose job it is to sit on the phone all day and contact it's database of trainers and owners about their interaction with the club, what the club can do to make them happy.  It is after all the clubs core business, no horses no club

Something I am unsure of is, do the clubs makes the call on what meetings are closed, or is it thoroughbred racing N.Z.?

I rang the Waikato Racing Club yesterday, and asked about their meeting status for the 12th of February, and was told they were hopeful it being open to limited pods, but wouldn't know until a later date exactly.

Unfortunately its too late for me, I have to make calls on cancelling stuff so I can get refunds etc.

I cant wait till mid next week for them to advise & I have to make my decision on past history.

None of the people I was bringing have ever been to Riccarton so they are really gutted as well.

This stuff will be the final nail in NZ Racings coffin.

• Sad 1

Wairarapa has made their meeting on Waitangi Monday a "closed" event which is a shame given what a fantastic day it was last year with 14k on course.

As they rely on volunteers and  only have a couple of full time employees I can sort of understand this but at least they made the decision early