The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

15 minutes ago, Turny said:

Remember Laceration Von, and yes was a very good horse. GP needed very loose ground to perform, was a gorgeous pleasant horse who always put in. What a great Era that was, I think Don had 9 open class gallopers in work around that time, all having won 4 races, which was a profit for two years. Not so today, hence my lack of deep interest nowadays, but do enjoy a couple of trips to Trentham each year, Oaks and Steeplechase days, still the home of racing because if you could win at Trentham you knew you had a good one

Fun times for sure - was Paul Reid Darkies raceday strapper back then? 

speaking of the Parliamentary...when Max was younger, so much younger than today ...there was a horse called Tiromai ..i think Syd Brown trained it ...did it win the Parliamentary? Or the Winter Oats or something...some of you young rascals will know...

2 hours ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Laceration - He was my pet! After dead heating in a race on 5th July with Sobeck at Wanganui, Merv Andrews came to Mrs vS and said "you have got Don Grubb worried" as they knew we were aiming for the 1988 Parliamentary Hcp.  Won the Parliamentary that year and repeated the following year. Had so much fun with that horse winning 9 races from 28 starts. We retired him straight after the 1989 Parliamentary as a 9yo (didn't start racing until a late 6yo) and he enjoyed a great retirement until he was 30 yo.

Harry !!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Not sure but Paul was training on his own account a few years ago. I think he may have had a bad accident maybe from a horse kick.

Alf trained the first horse I ever had a share in. I'm sure Paul was his son

9 minutes ago, Turny said:

I don't know why Von, but I keep on thinking about Varnamo and Mr Eales and a very young LM Robinson.

They were tough, if they got in front at the 3f you had a hell of a job, second was it

The Noel Eales trained combo I remember most fondly (and another front runner) was Flying Crest and Don McLaren.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

An old photo so a bit blurry but we were close

IMG_1090.JPG

The good old days.

Very hard to get a line on how Harry was going....you and your much better half were generally  the first at the track each morning....worked Harry in the darkness  so no one could put the stopwatch  on him..... cunning  very cunning.   But you definitely got the rewards for your dedication  and  time and care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Clareville.

yes Mardy, well done

Gotta make these harder

For those that don't know Clareville is an old track in the Southern Wairarapa, now used for the A & P show so I'm led to believe

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PWJ said:

yes Mardy, well done

Gotta make these harder

For those that don't know Clareville is an old track in the Southern Wairarapa, now used for the A & P show so I'm led to believe

About 1km or so from the deadly hot air balloon crash a few years back.

• 3 weeks later...

KNOW YOUR JOCKS

Okay, here's something different. I am going to give you a field for a race and you need to tell me the following:

1. Name the race itself (5 points)

2. Name the calendar year (2 points)

2. name the jockeys for each horse (one guess per person per day) - (1 point per jockey)

horses are (in alphabetical order):

Andamooka

Arbour Prince

Igneous

Koparoa

Marie Kay

Maya

Playfellow

San Fran

Seven Forty Seven

Tonic Time

Only clue is PJ was on course that day and backed the winner plus yesterday I was talking with a guy who used to ride Koparoa in trackwork.