The Race Place

MPI, SPCA & RIB v Animal Cruelty.

Rusty

The Racing Integrity Board (RIB), the SPCA and MPI's Animal Welfare NAIT Compliance unit, have joined forces to create a three pronged attack to ensure the  best use of resources in the fight against animal cruelty in both horse and greyhound racing.

A Memorandum of Understanding was signed by the three agencies during New Zealand Cup week in November, with the purpose of information sharing between the parties regarding “animal welfare incidents", including the administering of prohibited substances into race horses. 

The three agencies have committed to a “no surprises” communication approach, and will share high level summaries of individual animal welfare related cases. 

The RIB will continue to oversee and enforce race day incidents, however the more serious ones, including positive dope tests for horses, will be referred to MPI within 48 hours, whilst deaths of race horses in competition will be reported to MPI (Ministry Primary Industries) on a monthly basis. Upon receiving the notifications, MPI may elect to investigate the matter under their legislative powers and enforcement, something that the Minister is believed to be keen to see. The spotlight has been on the greyhound racing industry for sometime, but with the highly publicized cases of positive doping cases in race horses, attention is now moving towards the equine codes. Reports of formalin, which contains formaldehyde, being injected into race horses, has left not only the hard working honest racing participants outraged, but also the wider general public, as the minor sport has often featured in mainstream media reports for all the wrong reasons in recent times.
There have been quiet murmurings of frustration within MPI for some time, as their officers have encountered some what perplexing RIB officialdom at times when the lines of investigation into animal cruelty are often blurred regarding who should be the lead agency, and the lack of sharing resources and information, for the good of the animal. 

It is suspected that the MOU will also cover of the use of the whip in horse racing. Norway is the only country in the world to have previously banned the use of whips in horse racing and Sweden is set to join them from April, as calls for whip use reform gains momentum worldwide. 

Personally, it made me stop and think today, when at the end of a race, a 3 year old girl asked me, “what are those sticks for"? I didn't have the heart to tell her what they were, and why jockeys were using whips on horses, especially the horses that were well beaten, in more ways than one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

A Memorandum of Understanding was signed by the three agencies during New Zealand Cup week in November, with the purpose of information sharing between the parties regarding “animal welfare incidents", including the administering of prohibited substances into race horses. 

Hopefully it puts the fear of God into any current or future Alfords out there.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Hopefully it puts the fear of God into any current or future Alfords out there.

It's not widely known about the MOU. I'm guessing that MPI, RIB and the SPCA wanted to keep it all hush hush, to asssit with the first few investigations, and have the element of surprise.

Most normal people would be a lot more fearful of any punishment/prosecution brought about by an MPI led investigation, than the RIB. 

Then again, most normal people wouldn't inject an animal with a bit of formaldehyde, for financial gain or reward. 

I think it will take the first prosecution, and the book thrown at a horse person, until there is even a remote possibility that such low lifes will stop and try to think about any repercussions. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, karrotsishere said:

Thanks for sharing Rusty. This was your NZ Cup week news, was still wondering what it maybe. This is great news for animal welfare.

Yes, you got it Karrots, this was it.

I just couldn't share it until now, as it had been kept under wraps by the agencies concerned.

I love the horse. They are such cool creatures, they are amazing. Anyone that has ever patted one, ridden one, feed one, smelt one, been breathed on by one and spent some time with one, will know just how awesome they are. Most of them are such gentle giants, and a fair few do such great work with kids with disabilities.

That is why, I get pretty pissed off, when people do things to horses that they shouldn't. You are right, this is great news for animal welfare. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Rusty said:

It's not widely known about the MOU. I'm guessing that MPI, RIB and the SPCA wanted to keep it all hush hush, to asssit with the first few investigations, and have the element of surprise.

Most normal people would be a lot more fearful of any punishment/prosecution brought about by an MPI led investigation, than the RIB. 

Then again, most normal people wouldn't inject an animal with a bit of formaldehyde, for financial gain or reward. 

I think it will take the first prosecution, and the book thrown at a horse person, until there is even a remote possibility that such low lifes will stop and try to think about any repercussions. 

Does this mean they could get jail time? Like in USA noted some of those NY cases are off to do the jailhouse rock or is it more of a bigger fines?  Im big on animal welfare. Heres a story to share. 

Recall a story a couple of summers ago, & saw a dog in a car, it was SO hot over 30 degrees. I was shocked. Was on way to a garden bar restaurant for a drink & lunch with a friend. Upon entering restaurant told person at bar upon placing order, she said she would get the waitress to ask around whose car/dog it was. Thinking about every ticking minute, couldn't enjoy my drink nor lunch, after approx 10 mins. asked again out of concern. They said no couldn't find owner. Felt they were not doing enough as to me it was clear the owner was most likely at this busy restaurant bar. Another 10 ish mins went by & I was really worried. Said to friend lets go back out & check the car. So we did & dog was still in there. By this stage the dog had gone down to the floor. 

Friend tried to call SPCA but as it was a Sunday, for some reason nearest wasn't open at that time. 

Went back into the bar/resturant & I got friend to go up to bar & ask for management. Told them. They seemed more concerned, by this stage, Im really worried for this dog, & pipped up infront of people including peeps at bar, "well lets just call the police". By this stage, as waitress had been going around asking about owner of car/dog others starting to get concerned. Again my friend & I went out to the dog & others followed us as we showed them where.

A couple of guys were forth-coming & took over from there. We were talking what should we do. Neighbours started to look as a small crowd gathered around car. Then 1 of the neighbours I think it was gave something to 1 of the guys, whom then after brief discussion with group SMASHED THE WINDOW. I told them that we had called the police & they were on their way. 

The dog was rescued! 😃 Someone got water. The 2 guys were amazing, confident & NO mucking around. They noticed car owners rego & warrant had expired. They saw his mail in car on envelop were able to get his NAME! And also think his number. So 1 of them called him.  

Suddenly a guy appears from restaurant/bar HE said had been busy playing the POKIES!!

He apologised to us. I said to him, firmly "well you left your dog in the car, for at least 30 mins as I walked past that long ago". (who knows how long prior me going past. The 2 guys gave him firm words too. Then police arrived & dealt with it.

1 of the guys said to me (after talking to police), they will at minimum do him for the no rego/warrant and we thanked each other and departed. If they can't do for animal cruelty.  

Next day this story appeared.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/109910917/radio-host-bryce-casey-helps-rescue-dog-trapped-in-hot-car

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Short answer, yes, the Act does provide for the alleged offender to potentially go to the big house. 

Yikes that is quite scary.

Much more scary than just being banned from Harness & moving on in life to something else. Ruining the rep in the wake.

Moving forward hopefully nothing will need be enforced. Def more of an deterrent for the small 5% tho IMO.

• Like 2

Is anyone else starting to get a vibe, something maybe quietly brewing in background? Like an dormant volcano at risk of going off.

1. For example this announcement of Rustys.

2. The client list being publicly published of guilty US disgraced vet Fisherman. 

3. Speculation starting on every passing day as to why Interdoms heats/finals hasn't been paid yet.

4. In NZ nothing further on C Jones case, other than 1 journo saying likely no charges due to witness pulling statement. 

5. The Irish publication Enteebee shared which told the story of what has been happening in Ireland. 

Dunno maybe the volcano may not go off & may remain dormant. Then again it may go off & NZ might get a tsunami warning. 

5 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Is anyone else starting to get a vibe, something maybe quietly brewing in background? Like an dormant volcano at risk of going off.

1. For example this announcement of Rustys.

2. The client list being publicly published of guilty US disgraced vet Fisherman. 

3. Speculation starting on every passing day as to why Interdoms heats/finals hasn't been paid yet.

4. In NZ nothing further on C Jones case, other than 1 journo saying likely no charges due to witness pulling statement. 

5. The Irish publication Enteebee shared which told the story of what has been happening in Ireland. 

Dunno maybe the volcano may not go off & may remain dormant. Then again it may go off & NZ might get a tsunami warning. 

No volcanoes Karrots. 

Personally, I think there is greater chance of an earthquake that gives a specific region a short, sharp jolt when they are least expecting it. The shockwaves will however be felt far and wide. 

When it occurs however, is anyone's guess. But it's just a matter of time. It's not if, but when. 

Remember the old EQC slogan back in the day? 

"Fix. Fasten. Forget."

In Christchurch noone really took earthquakes too seriously, until it was too late. 

My point being the same thing will happen with this hushed up MOU between MPI, SPCA and the RIB. They are just getting their ducks in a row now, and one day the earth will come crashing down for some. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Rusty said:

No volcanoes Karrots. 

Personally, I think there is greater chance of an earthquake that gives a specific region a short, sharp jolt when they are least expecting it. The shockwaves will however be felt far and wide. 

When it occurs however, is anyone's guess. But it's just a matter of time. It's not if, but when. 

Remember the old EQC slogan back in the day? 

"Fix. Fasten. Forget."

In Christchurch noone really took earthquakes too seriously, until it was too late. 

My point being the same thing will happen with this hushed up MOU between MPI, SPCA and the RIB. They are just getting their ducks in a row now, and one day the earth will come crashing down for some. 

Haha yip prob me just being sensationalising with words. Altho a volcano & earthquake both can trigger a tsunami warning to a location in distance. Which was what I was getting at. 

Anyway last nite read thru court transcription of Harness trainer A Hall, she took stand in the US case. She had taken a plea deal. During time in court it was confirmed that she doped her horses But in return for being a witness for Govt she would not be charged.

The story is currently on Harness Link. Its a main story if you want to check it out. Its a long read (transcript) maybe 20-30 mins. 

In short she started training in 2017, she brought a cheap claimer. She heard thru word of mouth that ex-vet/product supplier Fisherman was value for money & sold good products. She made contact. She confirmed he sold good products compared to another guy, that most knew was selling, as this other guy (can't remember name, but he was named) used to go to racetrack to offer up drugs. However his products fellow trainers were saying were mislabeled & were not effective. She went to Fisherman as she was desperate for an improvement & this was her living now. She confirmed this improvement was to be done via performance enhancement via Fisherman. 

Interesting during her time dealing with him, he offered her a referral commission, if she was to get others buying. 

Some products she used, some she didn't, as she was worried she might inject wrong & she was worried about animal welfare. She said she didn't get a vet to inject they WOULD NOT as it was against the RULES. (Fisherman was an ex-vet, had integrity issues prior & had handed in his vet license. Besides he was busy selling product). The races she injected her horse won. The horse was swapped & blood tested. ALL came back NEGATIVE. That was something she discussed with Fisherman. He had confirmed that his products WERE NOT TESTABLE. 

The court presented text messages & emails confirming talks between her & Fisherman or his work colleague. He never saw nor inspected her horse, just sold products to her.

His USA client list has been published. Some Kiwi & Aussie ex-pats are on list. It has been reported there is another list. An Australian list, that has been reportedly given to Australian authorities. What do you think IF this is the case those authorities will do with that list? What do you think Kiwi RIB will do if they have read just like me there is apparently an Australian list handed into Australian authorities?

Edited by karrotsishere

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

This sums up what is wrong with these people.

They also spoke about that the horse doped will have a come down. What goes up must come down. Like a hangover or a drug detox. Poor horse. 

Its currently Harness Links Top story & as it's current affairs so might as well share link.

https://harnesslink.com/usa/testimony/

• Like 1