Jasonmc

Punters Club Melbourne Cup Thread

Tuesday 5 November 2019

Starting Pot $570

Cup race $190 spending

19 other selected races $20 per race.

Details to be confirmed closer to the day but open for discussion re format, races we bet on, how we bet etc.

I will start with my suggestions but am definitely open to suggestions.

$20 bets to be on your selected race but only win,place,quinella,trifecta, first firsts( meaning no multiple bets with bettors selections overlapping unless maybe bettor A/B/C want to pool together and have a $60 treble over the three races??)

Selected races being whole card at Flemington excluding the Cup where we have $190 to spend collectively plus NZ Galloping races that are larger full fields and better quality horses and races to be spaced so Sarah is not over taxed updating and so that we get more bang for our buck time wise.

Races selected by random generator so to be fair to everyone and ideally all bets in by Monday night but in saying that I do have breaks at work to place bets on the Tuesday

Just making sure The Mustelid has got this right ...there are 19 punters each spending a $10 bet on the Cup and one $20 bet elsewhere on the Flemington card.
Can we choose which race to bet on, or is that 'randomly generated'.?

Edited by Maximus

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

Just making sure The Mustelid has got this right ...there are 19 punters each spending a $10 bet on the Cup and one $20 bet elsewhere on the Flemington card.

I read it as a $10 bet on the Cup and then a $20 bet on whichever of the 19 races that you are drawn to select on.

Just my 10c worth but each of us spending $10 on Cup (if that is what is planned) is rather pointless - rats and mice bets are unlikely to generate any significant collects as far as I see it.

I am more than happy to have someone spend the whole $190 on the Cup - preferably someone of us who is a regular Australian punter (definitely not me) - no offence to other members of the club but if your speciality is harness or greyhounds I'd be backing you to do any NZ Cup week bets in those codes and not the Melb Cup.

I'm not sure if it is just me but the whole vibe this time has been very flat.

I think once we have done the wash up we need to have a rethink on how we go about things as I'd much prefer a shorter, sharper bang for my bucks - Feel free to disagree just my thoughts.

Good punting everyone

images67PQPQ8C.jpg

• Like 1

I agree that the Mel Cup money should be pooled for exotics eg a %-age trifecta involving 7,8 or 9 horses ..oe way to do this would e for all involved to sumit their top (6?) selectons and take a combo based om them ...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Maximus said:

$190 combined bets in cup not $10 each so maybe some exotic bets like tris and first fours?  Pick a horse each and bets weighed against horses that are picked multiple times, as long as we don't pick different horse each and end up with 19 horses!!!!

49 minutes ago, Blind Squirrel said:

Just my 10c worth but each of us spending $10 on Cup (if that is what is planned) is rather pointless - rats and mice bets are unlikely to generate any significant collects as far as I see it.

I am more than happy to have someone spend the whole $190 on the Cup - preferably someone of us who is a regular Australian punter (definitely not me) - no offence to other members of the club but if your speciality is harness or greyhounds I'd be backing you to do any NZ Cup week bets in those codes and not the Melb Cup.

I think once we have done the wash up we need to have a rethink on how we go about things as I'd much prefer a shorter, sharper bang for my bucks - Feel free to disagree just my thoughts.

Good punting everyone

images67PQPQ8C.jpg

Id like everyone to have some sort of say in the cup but happy to go with the flow.

I wonder if the "flatness" is due to not being that successful in regards to collects this club. I am open to format as we have an awesome bunch of people and dont want to see numbers to drop away 

• Like 1

Couple of thoughts

- For the cup would liek to see the bulk on trifecta / first four. Include a few roughies who are dead set to get the trip, fun times

- I second Blind Squirrel in going for bigger collects. Would be happy, for example, if all bets had to be pick 6 / quaddie / late quaddie. Not a strong view just a thought. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Retired Group 1 Winner said:

Just add my $20 into the $190 melb cup race pool please.

Do we do $20 each for cup and $10 bet on the other races? So $380 in cup instead. As want everyone to have a nibble at another race

• Like 1

maybe jase just everyone bet the 20 how  they like , on the day,  as long as all bets in by 10 30  tues. then  put the   190 on the cup

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Turny said:

We want to have interest all day I guess but a big go on the cup 

Yes thats why i floated the idea of 380 on cup as thats where the big pools will be. And $10 on other races keeps the interest for another 19 races

This is just a thought Jason.

Why don't we let the 5 most successful members do the bets. Let them collaborate on a big trifecta for the Cup and then let them decide on remaining bets amongst other races.

Just my thoughts. I'm entirely happy with whatever is decided.

25 minutes ago, Jasonmc said:

Do we do $20 each for cup and $10 bet on the other races? So $380 in cup instead. As want everyone to have a nibble at another race

7 minutes ago, vanturk said:

maybe jase just everyone bet the 20 how  they like , on the day,  as long as all bets in by 10 30  tues. then  put the   190 on the cup

2 minutes ago, Turny said:

We want to have interest all day I guess but a big go on the cup 

Agree with all above...looking forward to cup day and following our bets ...I reckon we could make it "trifecta day" to take advantage of the pools !

1/5/5 (1 horse to win...5 for 2nd & 3rd)  in your selected race (for a %)... $20

And agree with Pete...let the 5 most successful punters spend the $180 in the cup.

Whatever the approach and plan of attack I will be happy with...

let us know the final call Jase ! and time our bets required by on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Porky said:

Whatever the approach and plan of attack I will be happy with...

let us know the final call Jase ! and time our bets required by on Tuesday. 

Will leave discussion until Sunday to get everyones input 

On 10/31/2019 at 8:59 PM, Blind Squirrel said:

Good punting everyone

images67PQPQ8C.jpg

Regular Australian punter BS? Not that many Australian horses in the Melbourne Cup field!!

$8m Lexus Melbourne Cup (3200m) - Flemington, Tuesday

1 – CROSS COUNTER (Charlie Appleby) J.Doyle (5) 57.5kg
2 – MER DE GLACE (Hishashi Shimizu) D.Lane (2) 56kg
3 – MASTER OF REALITY (Joseph O’BrienF.Dettori (1) 55.5kg 
4 – MIRAGE DANCER (Busuttin/Young) B.Melham (13) 55.5kg 
5 – SOUTHERN FRANCE (Maher/EustaceM.Zahra (14) 55.5kg 
6 – HUNTING HORN (Aidan O’BrienS.Heffernan (11) 55kg 
7 – LATROBE (Joseph O’BrienJ.McDonald (22) 55kg 
8 – MUSTAJEER (Kris LeesD.Oliver (6) 55kg 
9 – ROSTROPOVICH (Lindsay Park Racing) D.Dunn (12) 55kg
10 – TWILIGHT PAYMENT (Joseph O’Brien) P.Cosgrave (19) 55kg
11 – FINCHE (Chris WallerK.McEvoy (4) 54kg 
12 – PRINCE OF ARRAN (Charlie FellowesM.Walker (8) 54kg 
13 – RAYMOND TUSK (Richard Hannon) J.Spencer (3) 54kg
14 – DOWNDRAFT (Joseph O'BrienJ.Allen (15) 53.5kg  
15 – MAGIC WAND (Aidan O’BrienR.Moore (24) 53.5kg 
16 – NEUFBOSC (Lindsay Park RacingL.Nolen (23) 53.5kg 
17 – SOUND (Michael MoroneyJ.Winks (10) 53.5kg
18 – SURPRISE BABY (Paul PresukerJ.Childs (20) 53.5kg
19 – CONSTANTINOPLE (Lindsay Park RacingJ.Moreira (7) 52.5kg  
20 – IL PARADISO (Aidan O’BrienW.Lordan (17) 52.5kg
21 – STEEL PRINCE (Anthony FreedmanB.Prebble (16) 52.5kg
22 – THE CHOSEN ONE (Baker/ForsmanT.Clark (18) 52kg 
23 – VOW AND DECLARE (Danny O’BrienC.Williams (21) 52kg
24 – YOUNGSTAR (Chris Waller) T.Berry (9) 52kg 

• Thanks 1

Not worried what is decided just dont make it to complicated $190 is enough to box a few horses in first four and trifecta large pools and no hot faves will mean big results regardless. 

• Like 3

OK, Please find below the races we are betting on and who is allocated the race. Next question is do we stick with $20 per race and $190 on cup or flip it and $10 a race for interest then have a crack at the bigger pools in the cup with $380??

If we go with the Top 5 successes picking the cup they would be:

TOM

BROWNFOX

MAXIMUS

GROUP 1

VANTURK

• Like 1

1-12.40 Auckland R2-RICHIE

2-12.55 Melbourne R1-GROUP 1 WINNER

3-1.16 Auckland R3-PETE

4-1.35 Melbourne R2-MCCOOKS- win on horse 3 BRAVO TANGO

5-1.57 Auckland R4-SIR G

6-2.10 Melbourne R3-NEK

7-2.32 Auckland R5-SMILER

8-2.45 Melbourne R4-MARDY

9-3.07 Auckland R6-MOOSEY

10-3.20 Melbourne R5-TOM

11-3.43 Auckland R7-MAXIMUS-$20 win horse 2

12-3.55 Melbourne R6-STEVE PAUL

13-4.05 Otago r8-TIGER TIGER

14-4.18 Auckland R8-VANTURK

5.00 MELBOURNE CUP

15-5.26 Auckland R9-BLIND SQ

16-6.00 Melbourne R8-BROWNFOX

17-6.09 Auckland R10-PORKY

18-6.40 Melbourne R9-SANDPIPER

19-7.15 Melbourne R10-ANDY

RANDOM ORDER SELECTOR

Race #1:19

Race#2:9

Race#3:1

Race #4:4

Race #5:17

Race #6:10

Race#7:15

Race #8:5

Race #9:14

Race #10:8

Race#11:2

Race#12:16

Race#13:18

Race#14:7

Race #15:13

RACE #16:6

Race #17:11

Race #18:12

Race#19:3

PETE

MAXIMUS

ANDY MC

JASON/SARAH

MARDY

BROWNFOX

VANTURK

TOM

GROUP 1 WINNER

NEK MINUTE

PORKY

SANDPIPER

BLIND SQUIRREL

MOOSEMAN

SMILER

STEVE PAUL

SIR G

TIGER TIGER

RICHIE

sorry about late draw and late asking for suggestions. We have two sick wee men one on day 11 of the bug and one on day 2 so finally at midnight I am writing this .

final decision Monday night re cup and amounts spending and all bets in by 10.30 Tuesday (but earlier the better if you know what you are betting on)

Sarah will be updating where she can so please be gentle with her. OK time for some sleep😪

hey jase

my bet is 15 win num 9 , 5$ % bxd tri 1_7_8_9.hope the little fellas are feeling better soon