The Race Place

Harness Millions

Happy Sunrise

3 hours ago, Addington said:

Was having them in Auckland a good idea. Just asking for a friend?

Fair call. 

3 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Was your friend not excited by seeing harness in a hurricane?

Its worse now. Sheezz. Knocked over outdoor chairs sent them flying from (table & chairs). 

2 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

That was a gutsy run parked the whole way and still fighting upside Merlin at the top of the lane. Never gave it in all the way down the straight with those who had cosier runs getting over the top.Horse to follow., going in my portfolio.  And , Seve,s run was huge as well.

Didn't notice that. Just re-watched & YES was a good run. The only other horse to have a softer run top 4 was Sooner the Better whom was 3 back in running line. 2nd & 4th horses were 3 wide the entire way. 

5 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Was it successful? Depends on the criteria applied. 

For successful owners yes. Also breeders of successful horses who have close relatives at upcoming sales.

For HRNZ ,  future  Racing NZ payouts are likely reduced as punters further refrain from betting on NZ Harness

Edited by Addington
  • Like 2

So what's people's thoughts on last night's inaugural running of the Harness Millions?.Now anyone that knows me on here know that i love the harness code,but to be honest i actually almost forgot about the meeting until i went to the TAB site and saw that the first from Auckland was 10mins away,then i suddenly remembered.For some reason i couldn't really get warmed too it,yes i know there were some class horses running around,but it almost felt like it was just a normal meeting.I was wondering about the timing of it...as in should it have been a twilight affair?? starting at say 4.30pm ish?? and finishing a few hours later,rather than after 10pm..but did they not want to clash with the local gallops meetings so didn't make it a twilight affair?.I'm sure the 'experts' will be tweaking things here and there,to make next year's running even better.

• Like 3

On 2/13/2022 at 8:00 AM, Happy Sunrise said:

Was your friend not excited by seeing harness in a hurricane?

Part of the new master calendar no doubt.

I await to see if they put out betting figures for last night but they have to try and revitalize Northern harness somehow. If everything ends up in Canterbury, Auckland will wither (quicker)

Half million turnover at Harness Million

Turnover for the first ever Harness Million meeting at Alexandra Park on Saturday night was $520,378. Considering it was wet and windy night and only six races were held, including two with small fields, the total was seen as a reasonable, but not remarkable, result. The race that attracted the most turnover ($106,375) was the NZB Standardbred Harness Million 3YO Colts and gelding pace won by 101 -to one outsider Magic Four. In future years the Harness Million will be held on a Friday night.

Addington leads the way

The Cheviot Trotting Club's meeting at Addington on Sunday had the week's highest turnover of any harness racing meeting in the country. It had a total of $873,866, and was followed by Friday's Addington meeting ($813,497), Cambridge ($616,335), the Harness Million meeting at Auckland, and then Riverton on $501,727. Turnover for the week was just shy of $3.8m.