The Race Place

NRL 2022

Hesi

A few comments each week

Raiders/Sharks - a few green shoots after last years disastrous season.

Panthers/Sea Eagles - business as usual, against a top team.  A champion team, with no Cleary.  $4.50 to take it out again

Broncos/Rabbitohs - upset of the round, and putting the pride back in the jersey, against last years finalists

Knights/Roosters - another upset, but can they keep Ponga free of injury

Dragons/Warriors - this is our year, I don't think so.  Pretty much carried on where they left off last year, and the same platitudinous excuses

Tigers/Storm - Storm seem to know just how to win, it's in their DNA, despite the huge loss of talent over the last 2-3 years.  Another Warrior reject in Ken Maumalo playing like a star

Round 2

Storm/Rabbitohs - The Storm are what the All Blacks used to be, somehow they just have a belief in being able to win. Storm 14-0 up with 10 to play, Rabbits score 3 unconverted tries in 9 min, then unbelievably, a Latrell Mitchell 48 metre!!!, 2 point field gold to tie it up in the last minute, but the Storm still pick themselves up to win in golden point

Some journo was making the comment on radio, that the NRL provides continuity, that is sadly missing in rugby, not helped by Covid of course.

Every year they front up with the same format, the only things that change are the new players, coaches and which teams make the top 8

• Like 1

I have to agree with the journo.

This year I have watched 1 game of rugby , a replay of Scotland v Wales & that was only because there was nothing else to watch.

For me it has become just so boring , IMO League leaves it for dead!

Must admit so long as there is Cricket to watch , I'll watch that.

34 minutes ago, Tonkatime said:

Yip I’d agree with those comments. One thing that really annoys me with rugby is the constant looking for every single slight issue to rule out a try. 

They do that in the NRL as well, but looking very closely both ways, rule a try in or out

Blocker Roach for the best insightful comments on the game.  Being a prop, he knew everything that went on

Is it Super 12 Rugby or 14 or some other number

Roosters/Sea Eagles - all the stars come out to play for the Roosters, and they wallop Manly, and send a message that they are top 4 material this year after the horrendous injury toll last year.  Luke Keary is the glue in that team, now he is back.  Absolutely love Des Hassler's after match comments, dry ball of the year.

Warriors/Titans tonight, I'm feeling depressed already

12 hours ago, Hesi said:

They do that in the NRL as well, but looking very closely both ways, rule a try in or out

Blocker Roach for the best insightful comments on the game.  Being a prop, he knew everything that went on

Is it Super 12 Rugby or 14 or some other number

Yeah I’d agree re the NRL doing it but I don’t think it has as much impact as it’s normally grounding or onside rather than a minuscule knock on two rucks ago. 

4 hours ago, Hesi said:

Warriors/Titans - sorry if you are a Warriors fan, but they are going to struggle to improve on 12th, with the Tigers and Broncos who finished below them playing a lot better this year

I thought the Warriors were the better team, 

Ive been sucked in by them way too often,  I have them placed 13th on my ladder, of course they have the potential to finish a lot higher, 

Sharks/Eels - 2 good teams slugging it out, probably a 5 and 6 finish.  Nicho Hynes the hero for Cronulla

Cowboys/Raiders - Cowboys a delight to watch, and probably my fave team.  More headaches for Ricky Stuart, just as he thought his team were starting to emerge

7 hours ago, VC! said:

I thought the Warriors were the better team, 

Ive been sucked in by them way too often,  I have them placed 13th on my ladder, of course they have the potential to finish a lot higher, 

13 about right

Tigers/Knights - terrible Tigers get thumped by a resurgent Newcastle team, minus Ponga

Broncos/Bulldogs - both sides have recruited well and playing some good footie.  One thing you can say for sure, neither ide will hold the wooden spoon at the end of the season

2 hours ago, Hesi said:

Reading my mail Tonka.

Panthers/Roosters

Knights as longshots

Warriors to take the wooden spoon

Knights are probably not a bad roughie. I still think the Warriors could scrape into the 8. I would be looking at the Tigers or Bulldogs to take the spoon, maybe the Cowboys although they might win a few in Townsville to keep them off it. We will find out this Friday if the Warriors are any chance of making the 8. A loss to the tigers and I think given the teams they have played and lost to there season is likely over. 

54 minutes ago, Tonkatime said:

Knights are probably not a bad roughie. I still think the Warriors could scrape into the 8. I would be looking at the Tigers or Bulldogs to take the spoon, maybe the Cowboys although they might win a few in Townsville to keep them off it. We will find out this Friday if the Warriors are any chance of making the 8. A loss to the tigers and I think given the teams they have played and lost to there season is likely over. 

You're smoking banana skins.  In the unlikely event they did, they would be out in the first game.

Radical rethink needed at the Warriors.  They have been shafted too many times, the latest with the supposed wonder triumvirate of Peter O'Sullivan, Phil Gould and Nathan Brown.  More BS talked in league than racing

42 minutes ago, Hesi said:

You're smoking banana skins.  In the unlikely event they did, they would be out in the first game.

Radical rethink needed at the Warriors.  They have been shafted too many times, the latest with the supposed wonder triumvirate of Peter O'Sullivan, Phil Gould and Nathan Brown.  More BS talked in league than racing

Haha I’d agree if they did make it they would likely be eliminated fairly quickly. 

Agree about the re think. They actually have not a bad roster this season. 

Round 3

So far, 2 top 4 teams playing good league, although maybe not the Roosters clicking, but when Souths get in that sort of mood they are hard to stop.  Cameron Murray, now skip, showing he is the most constructive forward in the game at the moment

A top 4 wannabe in Cronulla playing superbly in the conditions against a hapless St George.  Hynes showing what a good signing he is for the Sharks

2 bottom 4 teams in the Warriors and Tigers, showing how big the gap is between the top and bottom of the table.  Two points to the Warriors, taken gladly, but both teams should be docked 2 points for bringing the game into disrepute lol

Penrith/Knights - didn't watch the match, but looks like business as usual for Penrith, and all without Cleary and To'o.  If there is one team that says 'team' it is Penrith

Storm/Eels - rugby league theatre supreme, doesn't get more enjoyable than this, the Eels getting it in extra time

Raiders/Titans - bizarre match, Titans up 22-0, raiders come back to win 24-22.  Poor Ricky Stuart's blood pressure

Top 4 looking like Penrith, Storm, Roosters and Souths, with Parramatta, Cronulla, Knights and Manly Sea Eagles the 4 who could most snap at their heels

Broncos/Cowboys - Brisbane smashed, and at their beloved Suncorp.  Cowboys announcing they definitely have what it takes to make it to finals footy.  Ben Ikin, wishing he was still fronting NRL 360 Live.  A brutally competitive comp

I only watched 3 matches

Storm v Eels ................. wow what a game , Will this be the Eels time , God I hope so! ........... Fantastic game.

Raiders v Titans .......... What the hell did Ricky Stuart say at halftime? .......... I like the Titans a bit but there 2nd Half performance was poor.

Broncos v Cowboys ............. I was quite confident Broncos would win ................. I was way wrong , Taumololo was very good.