The Race Place

NRL 2022

Hesi

Manly/Canterbury - Manly slow starters again, and it all seems to rest on Tommy Turbo.  Canterbury won't be wooden spooners this year.  They seem to have recruited well, with Matt Burton in particular, but Josh Addo-Carr should score plenty of tries for them

9 hours ago, Hesi said:

Manly/Canterbury - Manly slow starters again, and it all seems to rest on Tommy Turbo.  Canterbury won't be wooden spooners this year.  They seem to have recruited well, with Matt Burton in particular, but Josh Addo-Carr should score plenty of tries for them

Personally I think they are still in the running for the spoon. Wests looking like they will pip them. Could also see the cowboys battling away from Queensland. Warriors are anyones guess but at full strength they have a decent team. 

Round 4

Titans/Tigers - 60 seconds away from being the first ever NRL match to go tryless.  Hard to say whether it was a matter of good defense or impotent attacking.  The fiasco of the last and only try, typifying the match.

Bottom 4 - Warriors, St George, Titans and Tigers

Unlikely teams most likely to challenge for a high top 8 position - Parramatta, Sharks, Cowboys and Knights

Sharks/Knights - Sharks impressive, Knights disappointing, and with Ponga back

Panthers/Souths - Souths gave it a good shot, but Penrith just too good, too organised, even with Cleary a bit rusty.  Take the 3.75 to win the title again

I found this really strange at the end of last year when I read this about the departing recruitment officer Peter O'Sullivan, this from owner Mark Robinson

Speaking to Newshub, Robinson drives home his desire to keep improving the culture of the club and lifts the lid on the recent departure of recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan, leaving for new side Redcliffe Dolphins. 

"I don't want to knock the guy, because that's not my style, but he didn't really fit our culture," Robinson says. 

So O'Sullivan didn't fit the Warriors culture ???

So the Warriors have signed Dylan Walker😇 and are on the verge of signing Mitch Barnett,😇

This must be more the culture they are looking for 

Wasn't the idea of getting Phil Gould involved at the Warriors, which didn't last very long, to grow a culture of developing their own talent, as Gould had instilled at Penrith, and that Penrith are continuing to do so well

Warriors/Broncos - some hope for the Warriors with a win over a beleaguered Brisbane.  The importance of playmakers shown, with Shaun Johnson and Reece Walsh

Manly/Canberra - Manly finally starting to wake up

How the mighty have fallen.  Former powerhouses like Canberra and Brisbane playing so poorly

Cowboys/Roosters - I thought the Cowboys would give them more of a run, but the Roosters probably have more stars than any other team, and when they click, it is good stuff.  Score a bit skewed by the fact the Cowboys spent a large part of the match with 12 players

The development of the game in NZ is essential, this will lead to an increasing player pool, which will lead to a 18th team, 

NZ was high on the list for a second team, however the continued failure of the one and only team in NZ makes it very difficult to substantiate a 2nd NZ team, an 18th team will bring more TV revenue to the game, with the Redcliffe Dolphins taking the 17th spot, an 18th team is inevitable 

Phil Gould had a position invented for himself to grow pathways to develop the game in NZ, grow/spot talent to which the NZ Warriors would have first pick of the new talent coming through with the rest filtering out to the other clubs

However the continued closure of borders and International borders due to Covid the project never got off the ground, there seemed no end in sight, 

Gould highly sought after was soon approached by the Bulldogs, a club he won a premiership with as a player ( I think) the so called jewel in the crown for the Warriors was lost

The potential for the Warriors to be a powerhouse in the game has always been there, they unfortunately have mostly always  found a way to unravel things one way or the other

I have no problem with Australian players playing for the Warriors, but for now they should try and concentrate on more of a NZ  talent group

Jimmy Maloney was nothing at the Storm, Warriors gave him a chance, once he develops himself he asks for an early release 

Chad Townsend languishing in reserve grade in Cronulla, Warriors give him an opportunity, once he establishes himself he asks for an early release on compassionate grounds

Euan Aiken Warriors develop him as a second rower, he tells the club he doesn’t want to live in NZ

Reece Walsh has a clause in his contract a well-being clause that will allow him to return to the Broncos or join the Dolphins 

Matt Lodge also has something in his contact 

The Warriors are a club that is a stepping stone 

Being walked over this is the culture they need to change

Dylan Walker is a ridiculous signing

• Thanks 1

Analogous to the development of racing in NZ, essential to racing in this part of the world.

NZ used by many as a stepping stone to Aus

The current spat between NSW and Victoria not helping, with the ballooning of stakes, leaving NZ out in the cold even more

22 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Analogous to the development of racing in NZ, essential to racing in this part of the world.

NZ used by many as a stepping stone to Aus

The current spat between NSW and Victoria not helping, with the ballooning of stakes, leaving NZ out in the cold even more

Yip If you have a horse or Jockey or trainer that is good enough you usually end up where the money is

You can throw Hong Kong into the equation as well

I would be paying close attention to the trials in NZ then looking for a first starter with a particular trainer in Hong Kong Tangerine maybe?

On 4/1/2022 at 8:59 AM, Hesi said:

Round 4

Titans/Tigers - 60 seconds away from being the first ever NRL match to go tryless.  Hard to say whether it was a matter of good defense or impotent attacking.  The fiasco of the last and only try, typifying the match.

Bottom 4 - Warriors, St George, Titans and Tigers

Unlikely teams most likely to challenge for a high top 8 position - Parramatta, Sharks, Cowboys and Knights

3 in a row for the warriors Hesi.

It must be their year lol, I can think of at least 8 reasons why not though.  Reece Walsh has got some gas though, how long will he stay

Eels and Storm relentless last week 

Manly/Knights - score favoured Manly

Broncos/Roosters - what a drama filled match, right till the very end.  Major turnaround in form by the Broncos to almost take it, with Kotoni Staggs delivering the game of the year so far.  More home grown talent that evaded the Warriors.  The Roosters a worry with all that talent.

To finish off Round 5, 5 predictable results for Penrith, Melbourne, Parramatta, Cronulla and South Sydney, despite some spirited late opposition when it was all over.

Round 6

Day of reckoning for the Warriors, first time up against a potential top 4 side in the Roosters, will give us a guide as to whether they have made any progress from last season

Business as usual for Souths tonight, and what a choke from Canberra last night.

I realise Ricky Stuart is a legend in that part of the world, but openly criticising his players in the media is not a good look for the club.  Canberra had a good year in 2020, then went south in 2021.  It all seemed to start going that way, when Stuart started going public with his criticism of people like Josh Papalii and a few others in the team.

They better sort it out soon, or Jack Wighton will want out.  Canberra's form must be affecting his chances of Origin selection.

Cowboys and of course the Sharks looking like the teams from outside the top 8 who will push for top 8 this year

Broncos looked competitive in the first half and could have been leading, but Penrith pressed the after burner in the second and went bang.

Cleary's insane, pinpoint accurate cross kick, picked up nonchalantly on the half volley by Taylan May to score, was as good as you could see on a rugby league field.

Kotoni Staggs awesome for the Broncos, power and speed

18 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Full credit to the Warriors.  Roosters could have run away with it in the second half, but the Warriors held strong.  Roosters still not hitting their straps though.

I'll elevate the Warriors to 9-12

It's all my fault.

I got home from a boat trip at half time and thought I'd watch them for the first time in a long time.

And the ball sails between the uprights, just as the clock turns over zero seconds to play, giving the Tigers a surprise 1 point win over a previously rampant Eels.

I guess the only indication that might happen was the good performance the Tigers put up against the Storm back in round 1, but still a major surprise, as the Tigers deserved their win

I note in the Broncos/Bulldogs game last night in Brisbane, a Bulldogs supporter shouting out during the 1 minute ANZAC silence.  Very disrespectful and ill advised, but then a Broncos supporter king hits him and keeps on peppering him with punches.

What is more disrespectful?......ironic, the values of people

Then the whole things gets put on social media multiple times, because everyone's pastime these days is recording video using their phones

A few teams going off the boil, others hitting their straps, some already destined for another poor season.

Warriors disgraceful in the second half, no ticker.  Rees Walsh does more than the rest put together, a huge talent, totally wasted at the Warriors

Whatever they are doing, they should stop and do the opposite

At this stage, I have

Penrith and Melbourne, head and shoulders above the rest

Cronulla and Parramatta in the top 4

5-8  Not in order, Souths, Roosters, Manly and Cowboys(the surprise package of the comp to date)

9-12 again not in order Broncos, St George, Canberra and Wests

13-16 Warriors, Knights, Bulldogs and Titans(now wooden spoon faves)

6 hours ago, Hesi said:

Penrith and Melbourne, head and shoulders above the rest

Cronulla and Parramatta in the top 4

Spot on!!

As for last nights game, two records were set  one for the Storm and one for the Warriors 

Being ANZAC Day Lest we forget

As for Reece Walsh and Matt Lodge, both unlikely to resign, 

Warriors looking to create a new culture so they sign the injury prone Dylan Walker, he doesn’t mind throwing a few when he’s pissed, bring back Kane Evans, ah no need we’ve managed the signature of Mitch Barnett 

Warriors have made the eight once in the last 10 years, scrapping into 8th, I think it was 8th it was that long ago, realistically you have a 50% chance of making the 8 

Season 2020 2021 and 2022 very difficult for the Warriors so I won’t mention the Storm living on the Sunshine Coast for the majority of 2020 and winning the Grand Final as that would be sarcastic 🤔

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, barryb said:

Hesi I used to be a huge Warriors fan, attend all games, even went to the Grand final against Manly.

I gave up on them 3 yrs ago, they are NZs worst underperforming sports team, never lived to the hype & last nights performance says it all, they just gave up. Consistently they bang on about developing local talent, which is great but totally useless if the role models they have can’t lead them. 
The players don’t respect the management or coaching team, they believe in there own hype & fail every yr to deliver, yes it’s one of the worlds toughest sporting comps but shit stop filling the public with bullshit about this yr is the one.

I actually enjoy the whole NRL set up, and that is coming from someone who went to the first Rugby World Cup, followed 2 Lions tours of NZ, went to Eden Park many times to see Auckland play, went to Manwatu's home games when at Uni at Massey, and looked forward bigtime to each All Black test.

But I don't know what it is, rugby seems to be losing it in NZ, just like Racing