The Race Place

NRL 2022

Hesi

2 hours ago, PWJ said:

Ian, that CHT decision is a very strange one. Is there more yet to be revealed ? Does he have an upcoming police charge ? It just seems weird. If everything he says is true I'm not sure he is cut out to be a professional player.

It’s hardly enjoyable living in a consistent losing environment, 

I don’t think there is anything sinister going on, the management there were in no hurry to resign him, they looked to be going in another direction, he’s one of the real emerging talents in the game which is wasted at the Warriors

I felt he wanted and could’ve been a one club player, but probably has lost his passion with everything that has happened and gone on Covid included, a year off may well rejuvenate his desire and hunger let’s hope he returns to the Warriors if they still exist 🤔

• Like 2

I note Cameron George on radio, refusing to confirm or deny the $700K payment to Lodge.  Saying it is not an issue anyway, as they are within budget on the salary cap, with only 2 more players to contract????

You can tell he comes from the racing industry, with that sort of verbal diarrhea .

It’s been reported Warriors owner and Matt Lodge had a heated confrontation back in December at the Belvedere Hotel, a fractured relationship, that never healed 

My favourite all time Warriors player is/was SJ, unfortunately his time at the Warriors expired a few years ago, the Sharks made the decision they weren’t offering Johnson a new contract, with Johnson’s money they decided to purchase Nicho Hynes, Johnson’s best asset was always his running game, however regular hamstring injuries placed restrictions on SJ the Warriors bought Johnson as a game manager and those skills were on show when the Warriors failed to score a single point in the second half against a 12 man Sharks outfit, that was reduced to a 11 man outfit for a period of 10 minutes, go figure

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 2:20 PM, VC! said:

To me the Warriors currently have two options when I get time I’ll explain what they are 

What a sad club!

Nathan Brown unfortunately/fortunately is finished 

The owner and CEO of this club are way too involved

Reece Walsh hasn't/didn't sign with the Dolphins he felt he owed it to Cameron George for the cocaine incident

The Warriors immediate families are living with them on the Sunshine Coast, expense covered by the NRL not the owner, 

The NRL want the Warriors to be  successful..... a  team in Wellington was/had been high on the NRL agenda, more revenue for the game from TV rights from their 3 main revenue stake holders Fox... channel 9 ..and Sky NZ

Peter O'Sullivan probably known as the best recruitment officer in the game was recommended to the club, a job was created for Phil Gould probably the biggest brain in RL he was to create pathways in NZ grow develop the game, advantageous to both parties, however between the owner and the CEO they managed to phuck both off, that along with covid destroyed any chance we had of finally becoming a power club

From here on this club won't be able to attract big name players, they will end up with developing talent, once established they will move to other clubs hence (Transit Lounge)

Reece Walsh came to the Warriors from a different system, once established in the Warriors system he's become a shadow of his former self, once picked in the QLD team as a rookie.

Isaiah Papali'i 23 years old a bench player with the Warriors, enormous talent wasted something shocking at the Warriors, moves to the Eels bang!! Dally M second rower of the year

Eliesa Katoa, bounced onto the scene, another with untapped talent, his skills have been bottled not to be used,  he should be let go the NRL public like Walsh deserve to see these talents in full swing, the club are destroying them both

For me there are two options available

Option 1

They need to get a very small core group of talent, preferably youth involve these players in recruitment ask these players who are the up and coming future stars of the game, who their mates are that can play the game, create an environment where they are playing with their mates, when you play with your mates you want to be the best in the group, the excitement culture of winning is infectious, this is what was created at Penrith, they are all mates Crichton.... Luai.... To'o ..... May......Edwards..... Cleary......Leniu, if you have a bunch of mates in one team recruitment becomes easier not only does it become easier you can sign them at the right price

So they need to sign Kristen Woolf as coach get a small group of the Tongan kids together and go from there, you will be able to attract the Tongan community to Mt Smart, eventually you add other nationalities into the fold Maori, European making sure you keep that mate mentality within the group

Option 2

We need to think outside the square, Shane Flannagan Michael Mcguire  won't be able to fix this organisation, we need to go left field and bring in the Walker Brothers big chance Sam Walker would end up at the club, these guys will introduce things never seen in the game

I would probably open the Warriors as favourites for the spoon next year, they're in a bigger decline than their normal bigger decline

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that exhaustive analysis Ian.

Getting a group of mates involved, which is the glue that holds it all together, who would have thought.

I think the Cowboys have done the same thing under another former Warriors cohort

They have though, been a transit lounge for a long time.  Also a club whereby players leave and excel elsewhere, maybe the odd exception.

At the end of the day, the individual and his career must eventually win out, so Reece Walsh is a ticking bomb.  He always reminds me of Cillian Murphy in Peaky Blinders

So far both the last two owners have said at the beginning in press conferences that they will make the club one of the best in the NRL. And the incumbent owner said it would become a juggernaut. 

Idealists, dreamers , or wankers. I will go for the latter. I actually got very excited way back in 1995 when they started (being a league fan) with high hopes of some good results and they did make 2 grand finals to their credit. But I confer with VC, this org needs tearing down and a new start including a plethora of local talent, and boy do we have some local talent. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

So far both the last two owners have said at the beginning in press conferences that they will make the club one of the best in the NRL. And the incumbent owner said it would become a juggernaut. 

Idealists, dreamers , or wankers. I will go for the latter. I actually got very excited way back in 1995 when they started (being a league fan) with high hopes of some good results and they did make 2 grand finals to their credit. But I confer with VC, this org needs tearing down and a new start including a plethora of local talent, and boy do we have some local talent. 

It is picked off pretty quickly by the various scouts from the Aus clubs

• Like 1

Meeting at 11, should be gone by lunchtime, as they say.  Stacey Jones appointed as coach.

Which all fits perfectly with what Ian and Rees have been saying.  A club built around NZ talent, and Stacey Jones would be the person with the most mana in NZ rugby league

Great news that Stacey Jones has been backed to see out the rest of the season, with a suggestion by club owner that he could become permanent.

I think it is exactly what they need, and predicting a vastly improved second half to the comp.

Remember that Billy Slater has no first grade coaching experience, and he took Queensland to an emphatic win in the first State of Origin

10 minutes in, and it looked like a fairytale start to Stacey Jones's coaching career.  Then it all fell apart, and it was too dark to mow the lawns.  Soft tries, simple mistakes.

A glimmer of hope is there, but Stacey Jones has a lot to do. 

Titans

Warriors

West Tigers

Since 2012..........Playing Semi Final football,  3 clubs that accept mediocrity on the biggest scale

2012 All 3 clubs miss the top 8

2013 All 3 clubs miss the top 8

2014 All 3 clubs miss the top 8

2015 All 3 clubs miss the top 8

2016 Titans finish 8th other two miss the top 8

2017 All 3 clubs miss the top 8

2018 Warriors finish 8th other two miss the top 8

2019 All 3 clubs miss the top 8

2020 All 3 clubs miss the top 8

2021 Titans finish 8th other two clubs miss the 8

2022 All 3 clubs miss the top 8 currently Tigers 13th Warriors 14th Titans 16th and last.......one of these 3 clubs will win the Wooden Spoon

Between the 3 of them they have had 33 attempts at making the top 8 their record from 33.........3/33...imagine running 3 business like that🤔

Edited by VC!
  • Like 1

Not asking the impossible.  With the right management, development pathways, recruitment, and coaching, it can be done, and within a season

Last 6 seasons

Cowboys 8, 13, 14, 14, 15, 3 A basket case for 4 years after Thurston left, now 3rd

Broncos 3, 6, 8, 16, 14, 4  Another basket case, much to the pain of Queenslanders, now 4th

Panthers 7, 5, 10, 1, 2, 1  Average, but now in masterclass category

20 hours ago, Hesi said:

10 minutes in, and it looked like a fairytale start to Stacey Jones's coaching career.  Then it all fell apart, and it was too dark to mow the lawns.  Soft tries, simple mistakes.

A glimmer of hope is there, but Stacey Jones has a lot to do. 

It was a collapse of monumental proportions. Like I've said before, they need cast iron on field leadership that's utterly absent right now. Hopefully Stacey can find a leader

Someone on here said the biggest problem with the Warriors was the owner Mark Robinson.

If the statement below is anything to go by, I think they may be right

“To be honest, we won’t be considering the Walker boys,” Robinson told Newscorp. “We looked at them last time and it’s just not my style on what we are looking for, I don’t think you can have two people as co-coaches. It’s not really the type of model I want.”

I think Robinson is way tooooo involved 

I guess when you’re a very successful business operator you know absolutely everything which includes winning an NRL premiership, I have no doubt Robinson will win, he will become the first owner of the Warriors wooden spoon

Phil Gould will turn the Bulldogs around

0D43FD20-0188-4D3B-8C31-4C481FAB82CB.jpeg

4 minutes ago, VC! said:

I think Robinson is way tooooo involved 

I guess when you’re a very successful business operator you know absolutely everything which includes winning an NRL premiership, I have no doubt Robinson will win, he will become the first owner of the Warriors wooden spoon

Ian, you make a good point, the thoroughbred business is a classic case in point. So many smart business people come in, thinks it looks easy and within a year or two believe they know it all and stop listening to good advice. They usually come unstuck in a few years when they fail to heed expert advice. I've worked for a couple of people like this. Football clubs probably present a similar tale in appearing easy to make a success from but in reality are very tricky.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Ian, you make a good point, the thoroughbred business is a classic case in point. So many smart business people come in, thinks it looks easy and within a year or two believe they know it all and stop listening to good advice. They usually come unstuck in a few years when they fail to heed expert advice. I've worked for a couple of people like this. Football clubs probably present a similar tale in appearing easy to make a success from but in reality are very tricky.

I could imagine you’ve come across a few in your time PJ and you’ll come across a few more

I reckon right now Paul Green would be Robinsons style.

So many aren’t interested in coaching the Warriors 

Ciraldo will choose the Bulldogs, if he is smart, they are building a premiership roster, where the Warriors they are building a Wooden Spoon roster

Matt Lodge maybe to Parramatta 🔜courtesy of the Warriors 

• 3 weeks later...

Well whilst it wasn't a great weekend for myself in the NRL with the Eels coming 2nd in there match , congrats to the Warriors for having such a good win 22-2 over the Tigers on there home coming.

The much maligned Shaun Johnson had a very good game.

• Like 1