The Race Place

The Death of Ready I Am - All that is wrong with Harness

Happy Sunrise

The powers that be of harness racing can all fuck off.

Blair Orange gets 2 days for causing careless driving but goes on to keep the race and the winning stake. While in his wake is carnage including a horse which had to be euthanised.

It seems as though nothing will get you booted from a race. Lets whip them more when the stake is higher because there is no consequence, lets barge our way through with no thought to other runners because you will not lose the race. Lets charge the standing start to get an advantage while making standing starts a farce. 

I am sick of the shit that harness racing lets people away with.

What happened to Cam Jones? What happened to Mexicana?

All the big noters can take The Race and shove it up their arse if they are going to let people do whatever they want.

Edited by Happy Sunrise
  • Like 2

• Happy Sunrise changed the title to The Death of Ready I Am - All that is wrong with Harness

And really sad for Ready I Am's connections.

A good battler who tried as hard as it could and would pop up now and again to spice divvies up. Punters would always have to consider it in trifectas and First Fours.

A disappointing end to the type of horse harness racing can't do without it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/17/2022 at 9:21 AM, Happy Sunrise said:

Blair Orange gets 2 days for causing careless driving but goes on to keep the race and the winning stake. While in his wake is carnage including a horse which had to be euthanised.

Bloody sad.

My first thoughts are with the horse's connections. Anyone that has lost a horse knows what it's like. Sure makes for a long, lonely, sad journey, pulling an empty horse float home from the racecourse. 

Two days holiday for B Orange hmmmm. I can't help but think if a different driver was in the sulky, what the penalty would have been. What would Colleen Negus get? Or Sam Thornley? Or how about Colin DeFilippi? The rules of racing are the same for all participants. But how they are enforced and the penalties imposed, are in my opinion quite different, depending upon the individual that breaks the rules. 

The stipes report makes mention that Orange is NZ's busiest driver. So 2 days holiday is going to be a greater number of driving opportunities than most other drivers. Orange made a mistake, and either directly, or indirectly, resulted in a horse dying.

Noone is perfect, and we all make mistakes. But Orange got off light.

But in this jurisdiction, under the current regime no one is surprised, and unfortunately, Happy, it appears noone on this platform anyway, gives enough of a toss to pass comment on it. "That's racing." Is the phrase that comes to mind. Well if "that's racing" they can indeed shove it where the sun doesn't shine. 

R.I.P Ready I Am. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rusty said:

Happy, it appears noone on this platform anyway, gives enough of a toss to pass comment on it. "That's racing." Is the phrase that comes to mind. Well if "that's racing" they can indeed shove it where the sun doesn't shine. 

R.I.P Ready I Am. 

Ok I shall comment just to make you happy Rusty. "Thats Racing comes to mind" basically sums up the situation. After 60 odd years of following Harness nothing has changed. Yeah it has been tidied up a bit, they have put lipstick on a pig ,but the core remains . Nothing really to report (apart from some poor horse karking it),business as usual. Those that wield the power and position always win over the battler. Only option is to leave the sport, but those so passionate about the game will persevere and put up with it and endure for the love of the sport. End of Story. 

• Thanks 1