The Race Place

Jacinda

Globederby19

1 hour ago, ngakonui grass said:

Over the weekend i have heard many political commentators come out and mention that vitriol was a reason why JA resigned.

I haven't heard JA talk about that and thats why i think something else is up.

The fact that she has given specific dates makes me think that other things were involved with her decision and i would expect further down the line we will be informed.

Any analyst of NZ politics will know that there is more to it than the "it's time" and "politicians are human" nonsense. If the polls were more encouraging she'd find the energy for the tank to be tank to be topped up.

Here's a question or two for you to investigate in your own time, your own way:

• Why did she announce the date of the 2023 General Election instead of leaving that to her successor?
  • Who will now wield more power other than Hipkins?
  • What are Willie Jackson and Nanaia Mahuta et al up to inside (and outside) the Labour caucus? One thing is for sure: they will not like another white male Prime Minister in the top job (even though he is far and away the most calm, composed, competent and articulate Labour minister.

A Maxi prediction:

• The General Election of 2023 won't be as late as October 2023.

MM

12 hours ago, Hesi said:

All of them, they never stop smiling

of course they're smiling ..they're finally being paid big bucks to run around a sportsfield and travel the world in a tournament no-one gives a toss about.

Global broadcasters are always on the lookout for a new variation on a (sports) theme in order to attract an audience (ie audience = $$$), so for now Womens Rugby is in the spotlight. It will soon become tiresome through over-exposure.

Ratings from Hamilton will be interesting.

MM

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

of course they're smiling ..they're finally being paid big bucks to run around a sportsfield and travel the world in a tournament no-one gives a toss about.

Global broadcasters are always on the lookout for a new variation on a (sports) theme in order to attract an audience (ie audience = $$$), so for now Womens Rugby is in the spotlight. It will soon become tiresome through over-exposure.

Ratings from Hamilton will be interesting.

MM

Cynic

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

Any analyst of NZ politics will know that there is more to it than the "it's time" and "politicians are human" nonsense. If the polls were more encouraging she'd find the energy for the tank to be tank to be topped up.

Here's a question or two for you to investigate in your own time, your own way:

• Why did she announce the date of the 2023 General Election instead of leaving that to her successor?
  • Who will now wield more power other than Hipkins?
  • What are Willie Jackson and Nanaia Mahuta et al up to inside (and outside) the Labour caucus? One thing is for sure: they will not like another white male Prime Minister in the top job (even though he is far and away the most calm, composed, competent and articulate Labour minister.

A Maxi prediction:

• The General Election of 2023 won't be as late as October 2023.

MM

On the date of the election, Hipkins has said it won’t be changing as that’s the most suitable date around that time. 

Good on you Hesi for sticking up for Jacinda. I guess you have altho didnt fully read this thread. She did put me off with the Covid restrictions when I thought it went for too long & how protestors were treated. But also thought she did amazing 1st time round with Covid.

But anyone that has been rooting & cheering about her leaving retiring to me. ALL every single one are

White Kiwi males aged 55 - 75 y/o.

Take that how you want.

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Tonkatime said:

On the date of the election, Hipkins has said it won’t be changing as that’s the most suitable date around that time. 

of course he says it won't be changing. That is how it looks to him now. And this was, in Max's opinion all prearranged with Jacinda pre-Xmas.
He hasn't even begun to feel the heat that will be going on - from within and without - as the year progresses. 

What chance that one or other of the centre-left Parties will get grumpy with Labour and/or smell weakness that they can capitalise on?

• What chance of a constitutional crisis?
  • What chance of another pandemic?
  • What chance any/some of the more moderate Labour MPs will want to leave the sinking ship and cross the floor? Or just resign? What would it take for the 'majority' Government to have insufficient numbers to pass the May budget?
  • What chance Hipkins gives it all away like his predecessor?

These are volatile times - as we saw with the occupation of Parliament last year. Who knows what the radicals witihn the Labour caucus are scheming.

Nothing would surprise Max - except a General Election on 14 October.

MM

14 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

But anyone that has been rooting & cheering about her leaving retiring to me. ALL every single one are

White Kiwi males aged 55 - 75 y/o.

Take that how you want.

Edited 14 hours ago by karrotsishere

Yeeeesss. Finally someone who recognises our position on an incompetent woman , finally having a light bulb moment. Thanks Germaine:classic_tongue: for that affirmation. 

Interesting comments in the Herald today from Richard Prebble. Like Max, he reckons the new PM 'Chippy' got tipped off before Xmas by JA.

Richard Prebble: Why Chris Hipkins should call a snap election/

OPINION

I have decided to give the new Prime Minister a break. I will give Chris Hipkins the advice I gave Geoffrey Palmer when he became Prime Minister: “Ask for a mandate to go in a new direction. If you wait until Election Day Labour will be swept away”. Palmer waited and Labour was swept away.

New leaders usually get a bounce in the polls. I would expect Hipkins to get a bounce.

The reason he has to go early is because he does not have a mandate to change policies.

If he has solutions for crime, the cost of living, the failing health system and the unworkability of co-governance he needs to set them out and then seek a mandate for this new direction.

National would be wise not to underestimate Hipkins.

Hipkins says the reason he is able to get things done is because he knows politics. He has not just been an MP since 2008 and then a minister but before that he worked in the Beehive for Trevor Mallard and then Helen Clark.

Hipkins says this has given him an advantage over MPs who have come into Parliament from a different career.

It is my own observation that what Hipkins says is true. It is claimed any complex skill takes 10,000 hours of practice to master. Politics is the ultimate complex task. It requires at least 10 years of practice to master.

Hipkins is a proven campaigner. He has massively increased his majority. He knows how to portray himself as an ordinary Kiwi. “It’s a big day for a boy from the Hutt.”

But also, Hipkins is Mallard-trained and he has a ruthless streak. Jacinda Ardern would never claim three women were sex workers and had used false information to leave the Auckland lockdown. Hipkins has never apologised. My advice to Hipkins is being Prime Minister does require him to be prime ministerial. Leave the civilians alone. Never personally attack people outside of politics.

Politics is a bear pit.

Hipkins is about to take full advantage of National leader Christopher Luxon’s struggle to explain why he is in politics. Hipkins is about to define Luxon.

The latter needs to rapidly lift his game and explain clearly what he is for and - just as important - what he is against. Hipkins is going to have no difficulty in doing just that.

I hope Hipkins - who apparently was tipped off by Ardern before Christmas - has taken time to reflect. The best politics is results.

Hipkins was a vigorous minister in charge of the Covid response but with a bit more thought he would have been a better minister. We lost our place in the vaccine queue, MIQ was a lottery, the over 100 days of the Auckland lockdown was too long and mandatory mandates shattered the team of five million.

I am sure Hipkins is sincere in his belief in state education. His allegations regarding charter schools were reckless. An independent report found they were wrong. Māori and Pasifika pupils greatly benefited from charter schools.

Hipkins has announced he is doing a review of Labour’s policies. Reviewing Labour’s opposition to charter schools would be a good start. New Zealand’s ranking in the international educational comparison tests are the lowest ever. Māori and Pasifika pupils are voting with their feet and fleeing state schools.

Appointing Carmel Sepuloni Deputy Prime Minister was not just good politics. We can all take pride that in New Zealand a person from the Pasifika community can rise to be Deputy Prime Minister. Her appointment means Hipkins has one achievement.

Reappointing Grant Robertson was politically necessary but makes calling a snap election a necessity. Labour will continue to borrow and spend so putting upward pressure on inflation. The Reserve Bank will continue to aggressively raise interest rates. It is 7 per cent plus mortgages that are the greatest threat to Labour’s re-election.

The most reliable predictor of election results is the right way/wrong way poll. For around 18 months the polls indicate most of us think the country is going the wrong way.

Hipkins can only win an election if he can produce a new agenda to take us in a new direction. He has no mandate for a new direction. He can only get a new mandate from an election.

I do not know if Hipkins can win a snap election. I know if he waits until October Labour will be swept away.

On 1/19/2023 at 4:02 PM, Hesi said:

Totally expected, when I heard on the radio she had a press conference to announce an election date I knew she would be announcing she was stepping down

Regardless of what anyone thinks of her politics and policies, the many personal vilifications, personal threats and gossip mongering about her partner have been a disgrace and a black spot against NZ, that reflect poorly on those making them, not Ardern

Nats have been handed it on a plate, only question is, will they fuck it up

I think NZ needs a change of government, if not just to get the zealots into a less bitter frame of mind lol

Have you been living under a rock mate.  She's screwed this country  with her crazy plans not disclosed before the election. 

Hj

53 minutes ago, Honest john said:

So sport northland,  who have no political agenda have stopped groundswell from booking a rally there.  Really,  these clowns are getting like Adolph started. 

Hj

Sport Northland a a privately owned concern, they can do what they like

Not sure why they would block Groundswell though.  They are a legitimate protest movement representing the rural sector in NZ, who have made a point of distancing themselves from the lunatic fringe

57 minutes ago, Honest john said:

Have you been living under a rock mate.  She's screwed this country  with her crazy plans not disclosed before the election. 

Hj

Business tax take is up 27.5%, the sky can't be falling in just yet, although others would have you believe so

19 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Sport Northland a a privately owned concern, they can do what they like

Not sure why they would block Groundswell though.  They are a legitimate protest movement representing the rural sector in NZ, who have made a point of distancing themselves from the lunatic fringe

Dead right.  Why?  It is political!! 

Hj

30 minutes ago, Honest john said:

Because you are a labour voter and you've no clue.  It was part of the platform on FBI. 

Hj

No, It's Not 'understandable': Sport Northland Contravenes NZBORA By Denying Venue Access

Friday, 27 January 2023, 1:49 pm
Press Release: Free Speech Union

The decision by Sport Northland to deny 'Stop Co-Governance', a community group, use of their Whangarei venue to hold a public meeting is illegal and defies the rights given to all Kiwis to voice their political opinions. This case, yet again, illustrates the contempt held by many for the foundational liberty of free speech, and it cannot be allowed to stand, says Jonathan Ayling, Chief Executive of the Free Speech Union.

"While a private organisation, Sport Northland receives public funding from both local and central government. As such, it must accept the duties placed on it by NZBORA, including non-discrimination and the right to free speech, for those that use its facilities.

"The Free Speech Union stands by the right for this community group, or any lawful organisation, to make their claims in a publically funded venue.

"In the case Whitmore and Palmerston North City Council, which the Free Speech Union supported, the High Court found the cancellation decision was not a rational and reasonable limitation on rights and ordered that the event proceed. The similarities to this case are striking and we are confident the Courts will rule similarly.

"In correspondence with 'Stop Co-Governance', Sport Northland claimed they had 'recently changed their board structure to that of co-governance' so could not accept their booking. They concluded by stating they 'hoped this [was] understandable'.

"This neglect of Kiwis' speech rights is not understandable. The Free Speech Union is preparing legal action to stand for the speech rights of 'Stop Co-Governance'. We call on Sport Northland to apologise for this unacceptable breach of speech rights and accept the booking of this group."

On 1/24/2023 at 11:45 AM, Globederby19 said:

Yeeeesss. Finally someone who recognises our position on an incompetent woman , finally having a light bulb moment. Thanks Germaine:classic_tongue: for that affirmation. 

Haha I just googled Germaine. Im so lost haha. You guys still going on about this ha. Thought you maybe talking about something else.

What about the ponytail puller ha.

A rumour went around about why he stepped down. Wont repeat it. As its just a rumour. 

What about horsey talk Harness folk 😀

39 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Haha I just googled Germaine. Im so lost haha. You guys still going on about this ha. Thought you maybe talking about something else.

What about the ponytail puller ha.

A rumour went around about why he stepped down. Wont repeat it. As its just a rumour. 

What about horsey talk Harness folk 😀

We are talking about a horse here. Lol

Hj

• Haha 1