The Race Place

Royal Ascot 2022

mardigras

19 hours ago, mardigras said:

No bet for me in the Gold Cup - but I'd love to see Stradivarius win it again.

Dead set tough or he wins it again. What a great old horse in his element. And some training performance by JG. Fair traveling the whole way. 

A few notes on my observations of Ascot so far.

• I love that the starting assistants use long double length leads threaded through both sides of the bit for control but also ideal for quick release. No clips. Why don't we do that here?
  • Struggling to find anything with blinkers on. Do English trainers not adhere to Thommo's advice?
  • Lots of horses with crossover nosebands?
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, curious said:

• I love that the starting assistants use long double length leads threaded through both sides of the bit for control but also ideal for quick release. No clips. Why don't we do that here?
  • Struggling to find anything with blinkers on. Do English trainers not adhere to Thommo's advice?

And buckets of water to give them a drink and cool them straight off in the birdcage after....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, curious said:

I think their racing is run a lot better generally. From what I see, the integrity is stronger also.

As for blinkers, yes, quite rare over there. They're still learning the benefits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, mardigras said:

My current prices Day 3.

image.thumb.png.d4860e87ba38054eff81083ad82850d5.png

I'm potentially looking at 

R1 #11 Pillow Talk (available at 9) - not generally big on 2yo races - and this looks an interesting field.

No bet for me in the Gold Cup - but I'd love to see Stradivarius win it again.

R6 #2 Cresta (available at 18.5) - I'm prepared to take on the extreme hot pot.

R7 #7 Vafortino (available at 12.5). Will James McDonald get another win on #27 at 16.5?

Another I'm looking at in the first is (2yo race small interest)

R1 #6 Redemption Time (available at 30)

What a night that could have been. Didn't back a winner - as tossed up between Redemption Rime and The Riddler in the first, and backed one, when should have backed both. 

What a great race the Gold Cup was. Love Ascot. I'm going back. I've been to a lot of Spring Carnival meetings in Oz, but I think Royal Ascot has a different feel and is just that extra bit special.

I think Cresta was bloody good as well, very strong the last furlong without being a threat.

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mardigras said:

What a night that could have been. Didn't back a winner - as tossed up between Redemption Rime and The Riddler in the first, and backed one, when should have backed both. 

What a great race the Gold Cup was. Love Ascot. I'm going back. I've been to a lot of Spring Carnival meetings in Oz, but I think Royal Ascot has a different feel and is just that extra bit special.

Funny. Was just talking last night about a trip back there and what events we might want to be there for. Royal Ascot high on the list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, curious said:

What pissed me off last night was that Trackside kept putting betting data for the likes of races from Ripon completely obscuring excellent coverage of horses in the parade ring and going to the start. The actual vision was outstandingly good with no interference from inane presenters. Things like official photo finishes up within a minute, interviews with winning jocks in the interim. Great stuff but why the hell obscure it. And yes they never re-opened the Gold Cup fixed odds betting at least in the couple of hours prior to the race. It's like they don't really want our money and yet there was very good turnover on those races all the same.

• Like 2

Just the one bet for me at Royal Ascot week, and it’s getting closer, ever since they announced they were taking Artorius to Ascot, I was keen to be involved, I think this horses best runs have come fresh

Australian sprinters are superior to English, the fact Home Affairs is in the race just enhances the inflated price, they have met 3 times Artorius has beaten Home Affairs home twice, if it was at Flemington you may slightly sway towards Home Affairs but the fact it’s at Ascot with the undulated surface, makes me think Artorius is the one to back $17 v $3 the market should be closer together, no doubt Home Affairs can win, but the value lies with the Freedman runner

• Like 3

Evening folks

Apologies for no picks for Day 3 , went out to Glenfalloch for Tea , thought I'd be home by 8pm , well try 11:15pm and a belly full of Shiraz @ $14 glass!

So all I have seen is last 400m of Gold Cup

-$75.00 (had a late scratching Day 2.)

Day 4 trys!.

1:30 R1 17 She's Hot @ 51

2:05 R2 13 Tiber Flow @ 11

2:40 R3 8 Just Fine @ 5.5

3:20 R4 6 Mangoustine @ 9

4:00 R5 2 Zambaq @ 11

4:35 R6 1 Changingtheguard @ 2.75

5:10 R7 8 Canonized* @ 26

Good luck to Mardi, Midnight Caller & Curious who all know the English form better than yours truly , however it is fun to try.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Midnight Caller said:

Fellas, what are your thoughts on the Norfolk yesterday? Do you think that my Brave Nation was coming to win the race before  Hanagan decided  to play dodgems?

He was definitely a chance to win, maybe Walbank would have held him. Tough to say for sure. The winner (outside of the interference) was going better than the others though imo.

Edited by mardigras

17 hours ago, mardigras said:

image.thumb.png.2e6ea859eb0f763325a89e85736991df.png

Some small changes to my day 5 prices. 

image.png.3a08fc5ea70f1dc406a2ece42e84d9ee.png

Looking at 

R1 #3 Crypto Force (available at 11.5) to upset the hotpot

R5 #20 Blackrod (available at 11)

R5 #6 Asjad (available at 36)

R6 #1 Aldous Huxley (available at 14)

Good luck for final night of carnival.