The Race Place

Arrogance

pete

Talking to a knowledgeable rugby man(no eye patch) in Kiwi this morning. His opinion is that Schmidt  won't take  the job(Personally I think he is the best man for the job) if Fozzy stumbles this weekend, as he wants to have more quality time in NZ. So does this mean that Robertson gets the job by forfeit? Personally, I still think there is an on field  player issue.

1 hour ago, Midnight Caller said:

Talking to a knowledgeable rugby man(no eye patch) in Kiwi this morning. His opinion is that Schmidt  won't take  the job(Personally I think he is the best man for the job) if Fozzy stumbles this weekend, as he wants to have more quality time in NZ. So does this mean that Robertson gets the job by forfeit? Personally, I still think there is an on field  player issue.

I've got some sympathy for Foster but if you look at his record it just doesn't stack up. The Chiefs were pretty mediocre when he coached them.

The ABs need a clean out. Forget the Cup next year and get the young ones in now to blood them.

Also look at allowing overseas players in like the Boks do.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 2:51 PM, Hesi said:

This is a poor AB team, in disarray, upsets happen in sport, but very hard to see a win.

Agree. There are some class players in there , but to my mind Sam Cane is a journey man and not a leader, Smiths day has come and gone , as has Beaudin, and at least one of his brothers. The other two brothers Ioane should be sacked as well, along with  , Angus Ta,avou( he was monstered by the Spring Boks opposite), Dane Coles way past it, Sam Whitelock way past it.  The backs coach (I wonder who) is clueless. They have no idea how to combat the defence systems they have encountered, shuffling the ball sideways or kicking it back to the opposition.  Shameful stuff and schoolboy errors to boot.  

Silverlake must be squirming in their seats.

IMO the ABs will be toast this weekend and Foster will still refuse to go...why would/should he resign and forfeit the $$ ?? They will have to pay him (and his loyalists) out, and rightly so ...incoming coach should be Razor cos the track record is there and the players will give their all for him; he should have had the S Af games to see who/what needed to change, but NZRU Board and CEO are pathetic strategists and leaders.

There is still enough time for the ABs to be a force at RWC but not if we keep too many of the old guard - Smith's lost some of his potent speed but not many halfbacks look fab when going backwards all the time, so the key is to sort out the front five, esp front row; and replace the skipper immediately. Whitelock through to World Cup?

Next year hopefully Lienert-Brown and Goodhue will be back for midfield combo. 

MM

Edited by Maximus

IMO the ABs will be toast this weekend and Foster will still refuse to go...why would/should he resign and forfeit the $$ ?? They will have to pay him (and hid loyalists) out, and rightly so ...incoming coach should be Razor cos the track record is there and the players will give their all for him; he should have had the S Af games to see who/what needed to change, but NZRU Board and CEO are pathetic strategists and leaders.

There is still enough time for the ABs to be a force at RWC but not if we keep too many of the old guard - Smith's lost some of his potent speed but not many halfbacks look fab when going backwards all the time, so the key is to sort out the front five, esp front row; and replace the skipper immediately. Whitelock through to World Cup?

Next year hopefully Lienert-Brown and Goodhue will be back for midfield combo. 

MM

17 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Agree. There are some class players in there , but to my mind Sam Cane is a journey man and not a leader, Smiths day has come and gone , as has Beaudin, and at least one of his brothers. The other two brothers Ioane should be sacked as well, along with  , Angus Ta,avou( he was monstered by the Spring Boks opposite), Dane Coles way past it, Sam Whitelock way past it.  The backs coach (I wonder who) is clueless. They have no idea how to combat the defence systems they have encountered, shuffling the ball sideways or kicking it back to the opposition.  Shameful stuff and schoolboy errors to boot.  

Silverlake must be squirming in their seats.

I think you are a bit harsh on Cane. He's not the best number 7 we have or captain for that matter but he's not a journey man. He likely still makes the squad if he wasn't captain but wouldn't be in the game day 23.

• Like 1

Like the netball (which they changed up the coach thank goodness - then won following that), my genuine thought is if team is losing get rid of coach. Get the best person for the job whoever that maybe.

On another note, mainstream media are aware of certain allegations about something, however they wont go near anything unless there is hard evidence (eg a police report), which there is not, due to legal ramifications.

So thats the end of that. Moving on. 

Again as I said the best person for the job. 

Now that the post-Comp Party to the Max has ended (the cops were called but none of them were injured trying to remove Mrs W from her tabletop perch at 4am), Max has had time to review the footie.

• Like pete, I did not see that performance coming. Glad the ABs won, great to see the passes sticking, the high ball being caught, and plenty of grunt and go-forward ball, accuracy at the breakdown. BUT I reckon it was only superior fitness that got us over the line in the last 10 ...and the Boks will quickly learn from that.
  • My players of the day were Jordie Barrett and Richie Mo'unga. That tactical kick for territory by J Barrett with about 3 mins to go was a heartbreaker for the S Africans. Mo'unga was clinical and cool in the heat of that Ellis Park cauldron.
  • An epic encounter, worthy of the great rivalry between the two nations. Ref Luke Pearce was a tad pedantic with some of the rulings but he was fair and consistent. 
  • Mr Foster is by no means safe in his position but whatever gets done to/with him, IMO the one who should go first is Mark Robinson. What a clown. Holds a press conference to say I'm not saying anything about Mr Foster's spot until mid-late next week. Ridiculous, and straight out of the PM's 'Playing The Media Handbook'.

MM

Edited by Maximus

So... Fozzie Bearly keeps his job but he and Robinson have the "full confidence of the Board". Pack of idiots In Max's Opinion.

Take this quote from the CEO, from the press conference ...and remember outstanding communication skills are critical to his success:

"Sure, we never get everything right but at no stage do we ever not do what's best for our people."

Say what? This is one of the most obtuse pieces of communication I have ever seen from a CEO. Why not speak more plainly, Mr Robinson? Besides, countless Kiwis who love the All Blacks would beg to differ over that last part...eg holding a meaningless press conference earlier this week which clearly left Foster in limbo wasn't "best for our people".

The mere fact that the Board have backed Robinson as CEO is far more revealing than anything he says. 

MM

Edited by Maximus

An absolute shocking PR disaster, Silverlake will take a couple of seats on the Board and sort this out and protect their investment.

Major press conference and the dress standard was a shocker. Number Ones was the call here, not your bloody garden jumper.

Very unprofessional team, lift the standards is my advice ... look professional and be professional .. dress for sucess

Edited by Turny
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Turny said:

An absolute shocking PR disaster, Silverlake will take a couple of seats on the Board and sort this out and protect their investment.

Major press conference and the dress standard was a shocker. Number Ones was the call here, not your bloody garden jumper.

Very unprofessional team, lift the standards is my advice ... look professional and be professional .. dress for sucess

I see what you mean Tom.  The RU keep digging a hole for themselves, they appear to have taken over the running of the team.  A bit of a respite, but Argentina thrashed the Wallabies, if they beat the AB's, which is up next, it is all going to start up again.

The irony of all of this is that Foster reports solely to Robinson, not the Board

Stewart Mitchell did all the talking. I know Stu and he is a top man, and I am sure he will be very very frustrated as he is a clean swift decision maker. What has taken place will abhor him.

I have no doubt Razor has been shoulder tapped, the drums are beating and the info I have suggests so, and will leave in February 2023 and get the ABs in late 2024.

Crazy times with lack of transparency

It is all very arrogant

Edited by Turny
  • Like 1

What has gone on over the last few weeks has clearly shown that Robinson is dead wood, and we all know  that the only way to  get rid is to cut it out! Now a crafty CEO like himself will always deflect the blame to take the heat off. Come on down  the COO (Fozzy)to walk the plank first. As some of you have suggested, he sat on the fence to make sure he was in the winning  team. 

The general NZ public(so called supporters)and NZ media (especially Gregor, Liam and Chris) need to take a long hard look at themselves  after this witch hunt. An Irish podcast Off The Ball has some good guest on,most with a lot of experience in the game at international  level.A day before the 2nd test they had our Gregor on🙄, hoping the boys in black get battered and beating the sack the coach drum. I presume he is eating plenty of humble🥧 this week! This week they had Matt Williams(great watch) on who in my opinion, gave an honest summary of the disgraceful behaviour of the NZ public and media towards the players and staff. International sports journalist were also voicing similar  views of disbelief. 

For me the players were the ones who stepped  up and played for themselves  and what the jersey means.Yes, the coaching staff tweeked a few things around set plays, but I've said this before,that at this level in rugby you can't coach from the side lines and it was the players who laid the platform for victory. 

South Africa are World Champions who have something  like a  59% win rate since winning the Cup. Somebody  could fill in the blank for the AB's , but with the last few defeats I'm guessing around 51-55%.NZ has been spoilt with winning  rugby  over the last few decades, we as supporters need to  take a few loses along the way and admit that sometimes the better team wins on the day.The SA players and public were visually stunned after  the match and long may that continue.

Getting back to the Fozzy saga, the boards decision was UNANIMOUS (in capital s for the eye patch wearing supporters)so let's move on . Robertson  will get his turn,and rightly  so it will be after 2023, where he can come in with a clean slate and do it his way. That is if he is actually  the best man for the job. 

Bring Back Buck!

Edited by Midnight Caller

11 hours ago, Hesi said:

Stuff poll before and after the SA win, shows very little change in the disapproval rating for Foster

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/300664340/yeah-nah-has-nz-rugby-made-the-right-decision-by-retaining-ian-foster-as-all-blacks-coach

The question and yeah - nah answers  are leading Ma- Lord.

Media  and public pressure usually  get it wrong 90% of the time. The EPL is a perfect  example  of this, and you could probably  throw in the Brazilian  football team into that equation. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

3 home test match losses on the trot is 'square' non-existant .  -10 maybe. never happened before. in 120 years . 

wonder if the Wallabies can lift their game and take advantage in September ? rough show now lol.... 

It was always on the cards that the Pumas could win, they are a big and powerful team.  I'm sure the RU did not consider that a loss would mean an all time, 120 year record.

Did no one consider that Ellis Park, was the AB's 'World Cup final'

What now??

Edited by Hesi