The Race Place

Arrogance

pete

They have 3 games left, Pumas next week at Hamilton, then home and away against Aus, the home at Eden Park

Aus have not beaten them at Eden Park since 1986, last lost there was to France in 94, 2 draws to SA in 94 and British and Irish Lions in 2017.

What now?? Only 3 emphatic victories will do, or the rugby public will be in open revolt.

A defeat at Eden Park, would be the low ebb

Edited by Hesi

IMO - and that is from the perspective of a proud Kiwi, but also, I hope, an objective one -  the ' Foster bashing' is unseemly...although a resignation offer would be a dignified response.

I'm sure he doesn't go out to see his team defeated, he'll be doing his best.  As will the players.  But the RU needs to get out of its comfort zone and look for new ideas, instead of just hanging on to the Henry/ Hanson/Foster clique, and we all need to realise that in the professional era, our long time superiority can't be taken for granted.  With superior financial resources, and modern, well equipped academies, the overseas unions have all the resources to catch up.  And they have.  And - to quote JK - our closed off 'hermit kingdom'  has left us bereft of international competition in many disciplines,  not just rugby.

Take it on the chin, move on and do something about it.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 2

Professionalism has been with rugby since 1995, yet well into the era, we have won 2 world cups with Henry then Hansen in 2011 and 2015.  Hansen had a 85% win record, and entrenched the aura of AB invincibility from 2012-19

I think It is an admin and coaching problem.  No animosity towards Foster, but his record shows that his regime is not up to the task.  That is life in the limelight.  If Mark Walker did not deliver the results, he would be replaced.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Professionalism has been with rugby since 1995, yet well into the era, we have won 2 world cups with Henry then Hansen in 2011 and 2015.  Hansen had a 85% win record, and entrenched the aura of AB invincibility from 2012-19

I think It is an admin and coaching problem.  No animosity towards Foster, but his record shows that his regime is not up to the task.  That is life in the limelight.  If Mark Walker did not deliver the results, he would be replaced.

We are using outdated systems and tactics. The rest of the world has caught up and we haven’t been able to adapt or innovate.  

Foster has been in the set up for too long and has likely taken the team to where he can get them. 

• Thanks 1

In Max's Opinion (IMO) ...

• this is a primarily  Board/CEO problem ....they are ultimately responsible for the onand off-field personnel. Robinson and the Board 'unanimously' voted for retention of the Head Coach with tweaks (Schmidt/Ryan).
  • Foster has to take responsibility for some of these defeats. I could not believe how badly Mo''unga played cf the Ellis Park Test. But you can only play as well as the opposition let you and the ref let offside play (rushing defence) byt both sides go unpunished. Mo'unga looked 'off' from the start, with tactical kicking and goalkicking. Fosters' substitutions defy belief at times.
  • In the widest sense, the wide open Rugby Championship is good for rugby, and the positive impact of Kiwi coaches on overseas sides is good for rugby - they cant all stay here and coach the ABs! Having said that, my concern is that the vulnerability/weakness of the current crop of ABs is only going to get worse with the same mix of players. Success breeds success; failure will breed more failure until the ingredients are mixed differently. 

• How about the CEO falls on his sword and Foster/Cane go with him?

MM

16 minutes ago, Maximus said:

In Max's Opinion (IMO) ...

• this is a primarily  Board/CEO problem ....they are ultimately responsible for the onand off-field personnel. Robinson and the Board 'unanimously' voted for retention of the Head Coach with tweaks (Schmidt/Ryan).
  • Foster has to take responsibility for some of these defeats. I could not believe how badly Mo''unga played cf the Ellis Park Test. But you can only play as well as the opposition let you and the ref let offside play (rushing defence) byt both sides go unpunished. Mo'unga looked 'off' from the start, with tactical kicking and goalkicking. Fosters' substitutions defy belief at times.
  • In the widest sense, the wide open Rugby Championship is good for rugby, and the positive impact of Kiwi coaches on overseas sides is good for rugby - they cant all stay here and coach the ABs! Having said that, my concern is that the vulnerability/weakness of the current crop of ABs is only going to get worse with the same mix of players. Success breeds success; failure will breed more failure until the ingredients are mixed differently. 

• How about the CEO falls on his sword and Foster/Cane go with him?

MM

Listening to Jason Pine on NewstalkZB on Sunday, apparently the board was split 4-4 on the retention of Foster, Stewart Mitchell the chairman then cast the deciding vote to make it 5-4 in favour of Foster.  The rest of the board then got in behind the decision, so it was presented as 'unanimous'.

Even if you don't know anything about rugby, as most don't, you only have to look at the body language  and facial expressions of Foster and Cane, it tells the story

Edited by Hesi

On 8/28/2022 at 2:16 PM, ngakonui grass said:

Wonder what the viewing figures were.

Martin Devlin saying during the week that  Sky and NZ Rugby wouldn't release the viewing figures of the NPC or womans rugby because they are so poor.

A bit like the public display of turnover figures in harness racing recently. 

Hiding stuff is never a good sign.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't really buy into all the stuff about a coach needing years to develop a winning team.  If they can't do it in a year, then why not.  Foster has had plenty of time for us, and he is still buggering around.  How can you develop a team, when you don't develop combinations.  Nonu and Conrad Smith knew each others play like the back of their hands,  Nowadays, it's hello, I'm playing outside you today.

Wayne Smith turned around the Black Ferns in 6 months.  Why?,  because he is a great man manager.  In this case a woman manager, but that sounds a bit off.  The talent is there.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...