The Race Place

News articles

karrotsishere

5 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Earth calling Nod. Your Black Pearl is getting all the attention 😀 Even Profit has written an article after win. A positive article by looks. He states a great buy, well spent & included a nice pic of her at yearling sales.

Thats nice to catch his eye in the positive!  

Read the first few lines but I don’t subscribe to PP.  

44 minutes ago, Royal Nod said:

Read the first few lines but I don’t subscribe to PP.  

Same. She is also mentioned a couple times in a story on Harness Link about breeding by B Reid. 

Hes doing a fab job!

Today he has covered a story on Harness Link which HRNZ have also picked up (excellent stuff), about R Mckenzies Camb win. Covers the family, which funny enough I was interested in reading about. Had been following Red Questro & wondered why took a while to get to races. Article answered my questions. Broken pastern. Also the dam had that twice too.

Had thought he trained at Rogersons, but has own track & an open door policy Rogersons next door. 

Last 3 paragraphs of article are good. He tells things the way they, but in a respectful way. But is still enthusiatic & the 73 y/o wont be quitting anytime soon. (Good on him). Great read!

Well done B Reid for covering a smaller grass roots person in North. Who does Harness as a hobby.

Breeder/owner/trainer. 

https://harnesslink.com/new-zealand/rod-mackenzie-a-rare-breed-in-harness-racing/

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Thanks 1

There are a couple of news articles out about High Court Wigg case yesterday. Says judge will give a decision in next few weeks.

Agree with her argument, it does seem weird that the review panel are same people that made orginal discision. So how on earth would anyone get a fair, reasonable & independant review? Also the lenght of penalty, did to me seem a bit OTT to me. 

Edited by karrotsishere

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

There are a couple of news articles out about High Court Wigg case yesterday. Says judge will give a decision in next few weeks.

Agree with her argument, it does seem weird that the review panel are same people that made orginal discision. So how on earth would anyone get a fair, reasonable & independant review? Also the lenght of penalty, did to me seem a bit OTT to me. 

on the money. who is on the panel? hope not the guy who locked up a innocent person for twenty years

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, far too much said:

on the money. who is on the panel? hope not the guy who locked up a innocent person for twenty years

Not sure Far Too Much. In herald under Racing if you want to look.

Nxt to article is 1 about a jockey male someone Cameron, says (top jockey) name suppression lasped today was charged & convicted community service in court today for indecent assault.

Touchy, touchy someone same sex when intoxicated, even when person they touched was laying beside their gf. 

Oh dear, the bad effects Far Too Much alcohol can have on one 🤯

GIF by Tomi Ferraro, Sportz

Edited by karrotsishere

2 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Not sure Far Too Much. In herald under Racing if you want to look.

Nxt to article is 1 about a jockey male someone Cameron, says (top jockey) name suppression lasped today was charged & convicted community service in court today for indecent assault.

Touchy, touchy someone same sex when intoxicated, even when person they touched was laying beside their gf. 

Oh dear, the bad effects Far Too Much alcohol can have on one 🤯

GIF by Tomi Ferraro, Sportz

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300662913/jockey-convicted-for-boozefuelled-indecent-assault-on-sleeping-man

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Purple Parsnip said:

Yes thats the one Parsnip. Thx for sharing.

On 8/15/2022 at 2:52 PM, Royal Nod said:

Thanks Karrots.  That was exciting.  Didn’t expect her to do that 

TAB has Republican Party in future market 2023 The Race & Pearl is now in top 12 for 2yo fillies jewels 👏

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Yes thats the one Parsnip. Thx for sharing.

TAB has Republican Party in future market 2023 The Race & Pearl is now in top 12 for 2yo fillies jewels 👏

$26 for RP in The Race is very poor odds in my opinion.   $17 for BP in sires stakes final is much better odds, though Purdons filly will be very hard to beat 

10 hours ago, Royal Nod said:

Purdons filly will be very hard to beat 

& Telfer runners Lous girl, Forever Me & Kalua Flyby both in tomorrow to see their progress since young guns. Forever Me is tough. 

Re Purdons, anyone know when if N Ras will be returning to training?

Re articles Copy That flies Oz 31 Aug & get new driver N Jack his entire Aus campaign.

https://www.lincolnfarms.co.nz/stories/new-driver-for-copy-that-nathan-jack-engaged-to-pilot-nz-cup-champ-in-victoria/

10 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Only in harness.

Yea & the guy tried to justify it. Saying its cheaper & easier to have mixed up lol.

Wheres all the promotions for NZ Cup & Dominon? Already as a comparison Melbourne Cup have ads up & running online.  Why do they not promote things? What exactly is their promotion? In North, generalizing no one knows when NZ Cup is on, & day on, no one knows (not counting racing enthiastics). Potential market they are missing to have a fun 1 off bet in NZ Cup. If another country can get people in North going to bars, dress up & have a punt, no reason why Harness NZ Cup cant too. 

Edited by karrotsishere

Was reading article N Purdon is heading home. Rumours flying that M Purdon is going to scale back on driving & names already put forth as replacements. Also questions being raised as to why N Rasmussen hasnt renewed training license now ... ? Maybe they are going to scale down after all ... ?

On another note that Cameron jockey thing is old news. Apparently people already knew about it & it was him.

Reminds me a bit of bird story. But never knew if bird story rumour was ever true or false aye Far Too Much. 

sesame street drinking GIF

18 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Was reading article N Purdon is heading home. Rumours flying that M Purdon is going to scale back on driving & names already put forth as replacements. Also questions being raised as to why N Rasmussen hasnt renewed training license now ... ? Maybe they are going to scale down after all ... ?

On another note that Cameron jockey thing is old news. Apparently people already knew about it & it was him.

Reminds me a bit of bird story. But never knew if bird story rumour was ever true or false aye Far Too Much. 

sesame street drinking GIF

did not no about the bird story unto you told me . I would say false rumour. likes to go for hikes around the world ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, far too much said:

did not no about the bird story unto you told me . I would say false rumour. likes to go for hikes around the world ?

Hey Far, yea who knows if true or not sounds like not tho. 

No idea re hikes about the world lol. 

Potential replacements re M Purdon if rumour is true re driving scale back are your man B Orange & my fav Z Butcher then junior Olivia. T Williams is already engaged with leading stable Telfers

Edited by karrotsishere

An article on Harness Link NZ about RIB. Wow, never knew so many employees, approx 40 permanent & over 100 independant contractors. What do they all do? Had thought maybe at best a dozen.

Thought Stripes at each club were separate? Eg stripes are stripes & people who work for RIB work for RIB? Or are stripes included in that count? 

Article said a stable was raided a week ish ago. Nothing illegal found. Then females were lined up & questioned re sexual questions randomly not from any complaint. Why do that? Why do stable raids on non race days? If they want to find out if females feel safe within any work environment, best do it discretly & reach out in a way females feel comfortable to talk & better raid on raceday. 

Sounds like spending is out of control. No wonder some feel disheartened by RIB.

https://harnesslink.com/new-zealand/rib-the-new-elephant-in-the-room-for-racing/

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Thanks 1

Here you go Happy or anyone else thats interested. Just need an email & name to sign up to get extra articles that dont appear publicially on Harness Link. Its free.

Be good if they had an option - tick box to receive North articles, tick box to receive South articles, tick box to receive all articles. That way people arent bombarded with articles they may not be interested in.

https://harnesslink.com/subscribe/

Edited by karrotsishere

On 8/18/2022 at 8:34 AM, karrotsishere said:

Article said a stable was raided a week ish ago. Nothing illegal found. Then females were lined up & questioned re sexual questions randomly not from any complaint. Why do that? Why do stable raids on non race days? If they want to find out if females feel safe within any work environment, best do it discretly & reach out in a way females feel comfortable to talk & better raid on raceday

Lined up?

I can't believe they would do this in such a fashion. I would say it is poor reporting and a poor use of words.

Is this the RIB domain when they have the website 'whenracingwins' if an employee has issues they would go through this wouldn't they? And then assistance would be given by HRNZ not the RIB?

13 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Lined up?

I can't believe they would do this in such a fashion. I would say it is poor reporting and a poor use of words.

Quite right. Heres actual wording from article. That was my error. Line is used, but reads as indignity of a line of inappropriate questions.

"What about the trainer who had his stables raided just a week or so ago, & after a squad of RIB detectives failed to locate anything illegal, female stable workers experienced the indignity of a line of inappropriate questioning of possible sexual harassment by the trainertrying to manufacture a complaint rather than acting upon a genuine one".

13 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Is this the RIB domain when they have the website 'whenracingwins' if an employee has issues they would go through this wouldn't they? And then assistance would be given by HRNZ not the RIB?

If you look at last sentence above says trying to manufacture a complaint. Again your right, (whenracingwins) think would be a more appropriate channel.

Here some things from article that raise red flags for me.

"An industry employee close to the action has commented that CEO M Clement, who spent 42 years in the police force, believes that most horse trainers are crooked, & his job is to nail them".

Overspending - "For example, take a recent case of stipes travelling by car from Dunedin to Oamaru races, a journey of 75 minutes, and incurring overnight expenses instead of returning to Dunedin the same day. This type of carry-on happens with regularity. Stipes are like musical chairs flying all over the country."

Inca - "The incompetence of authorities in not knowing the difference between the discussion of race tactics and race fixing has not only cost the industry a fortune & damaged racing’s reputation, but the accused have all needed their own legal advice, one known to have spent $220,000 alone – & one of the alleged fixed races turning out to be a trial".

Edited by karrotsishere

38 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

female stable workers experienced the indignity of a line of inappropriate questioning of possible sexual harassment by the trainertrying to manufacture a complaint rather than acting upon a genuine one".

Still inappropriate isn't it. No wonder the RIB is disliked. What kind of thinking takes place in their brain to do such a thing?

40 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

"An industry employee close to the action has commented that CEO M Clement, who spent 42 years in the police force, believes that most horse trainers are crooked, & his job is to nail them".

Heresay. Almost as bad as the inappropriate questioning of the females.

46 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Overspending - "For example, take a recent case of stipes travelling by car from Dunedin to Oamaru races, a journey of 75 minutes, and incurring overnight expenses instead of returning to Dunedin the same day. This type of carry-on happens with regularity. Stipes are like musical chairs flying all over the country."

Shouldn't be allowed if true.  Wonder if they just pocket the expenses.

47 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Inca - "The incompetence of authorities in not knowing the difference between the discussion of race tactics and race fixing has not only cost the industry a fortune & damaged racing’s reputation, but the accused have all needed their own legal advice, one known to have spent $220,000 alone – & one of the alleged fixed races turning out to be a trial".

And there you have the motivation for the whole article - a dislike for the stipes so the whole thing needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Listened to a news trot chat with Dr L Chin. He said he is 4 months off 80 & no chance of slowing down. His goal re Harness is to breed/train/own/drive a G1 winner. Has done so with G2 & G3. Good on him. Love it & his goal. Thoughts become things.

Will be rooting for him to achieve his final goal before retiring from Harness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will give a Karrots update of news Iv read recently. 

Woodlands guy cant recall name said interview 24yo Bettors will likely be his last season. But will reaccess nxt year. Animal wealth is important. 

Their stallions have arrived back eg Lou, Downbyseaside, Bettors, Speeding Spur. Ready for breeding 1 Sept.

A month ago, figures had Lou as top 2yo sire of individual winners in Oz with 27. Being end Aug now this figure likely changed. 

R Dunn starts 2yo Mckendrick (Lou) Fri. Said he thinks he may make the grade, has high speed & he has a bit of time for the Lous. 

K Green (ex Barclay) says she has a stand out in barn Louretta, 2yo filly Lou who she expects big things from. Yet to be unleashed. 

TAB have announced a great promotion now til end of Cup Week no deductions fixed win/place eg for scratched horses. Great news. 

Edited by karrotsishere

• 2 weeks later...

Last week in NZ then Im off. Yippee. 

Today a good read on Harness Link (kicking butt) B Reid, talks readers thru an interview with Racing Minister. At bottom of article, contact details are given & an expression for those with ideas to improve industry. All submissions will receive a reply.

Bravo, well done Harness Link & B Reid for this & getting in touch with other govt heads to get their view on Harness. And putting politics aside. Further interviews/articles will be on Harness Link. The must read Harness publication IMO. 

• Like 1