The Race Place

Melbourne Cup Trivia quiz

Hesi

17 minutes ago, LookingForValue said:

#1 Punter anchored winner Silver Knight to win the Cup with 8 horses to win the Caulfield Cup, outlaying $2200 to win $100,000. 

I recall that, but not the answer I have.  Probably a lot more significant in terms of the overall racing game

Just now, Our Maizcay said:

first sporting event to be broadcast live in NZ via satellite?

Not sure if that was the case, but close enough.  It was the first time the MC was televised live in NZ, something we all now take for granted.

Have to admit, I prefer to listen.  Nothing worse than watching and seeing the horse you had worked out as the winner, not travelling well enough 800m out

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Not sure if that was the case, but close enough.  It was the first time the MC was televised live in NZ, something we all now take for granted.

Have to admit, I prefer to listen.  Nothing worse than watching and seeing the horse you had worked out as the winner, not travelling well enough 800m out

Could be a bit of rivalry here if Our Maizcay is correct. Rugby Union thinks otherwise

"The first offshore sports event to be broadcast live in New Zealand via satellite was the All Blacks rugby test against Wales, from Cardiff in 1972."

Just now, slam dunk said:

Could be a bit of rivalry here if Our Maizcay is correct. Rugby Union thinks otherwise

"The first offshore sports event to be broadcast live in New Zealand via satellite was the All Blacks rugby test against Wales, from Cardiff in 1972."

yeah i was just googling and saw the same thing

perhaps they don't consider horse racing a sporting event

Points table 

NG - 4, but got 1 point for 43 NZ breds, but then docked a point for taking so long to figure out Verry Elleegant

Maria - 3, some nice answers

OM - 1, have to give it to you as you let the cat out of the bag

6 more questions tomorrow, if i can find 6 that are not easily Googled

7.  1861 is the slowest running of the cup.  It was in part put down to a 3 horse fall, but what other factor contributed to the slow time

8.  Only horse to win the MC, CC and Cox in the same year

9. First 2 home in the 1938 MC had something in common.  Definite NZ connection here

10.  There have been 43 NZ breds win the MC, but how many NZ trained

11.  NZ breds have filled the trifecta on how many occasions, and when was the first

12.  This horse unbelievably won it's 10 lead up races, to winning the MC

13.  The race that stops a nation.  There was a famous twist to this line a few years back, what is it.  If anyone says the obvious, it is minus 1 point

9 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Q 12/     I want to say the great Aussie Phar Lap but am going with the immortal CARBINE instead ?

Who went on to sire an Epsom Derby winner

Originating from Sylvia Park, which is now a sprawling shopping mall, best kept away from

Q9/ I was going to refer to Sylvia Park for this question, that both Catalogue and Bourbon were descended from Musket whilst based at Sylvia Park stud.    Funnily enough the third horse in the  1938 MC Ortelle's Star also descended from Musket.    So chances are this isn't the right answer...  🙂 

10 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

Q9/ I was going to refer to Sylvia Park for this question, that both Catalogue and Bourbon were descended from Musket whilst based at Sylvia Park stud.    Funnily enough the third horse in the  1938 MC Ortelle's Star also descended from Musket.    So chances are this isn't the right answer...  🙂 

Near enough, all three have Musket on the dam side

The answer I was looking for was Spearmint, as I had read that all  first 3 finishers had Spearmint in their bloodlines, but when I looked, I could not see it in Ortelle's Star's bloodlines, so just made it the first 2 home

1 point, well found Maria

• Thanks 1

7.  1861 is the slowest running of the cup.  It was in part put down to a 3 horse fall, but what other factor contributed to the slow time

8.  Only horse to win the MC, CC and Cox in the same year

9. First 2 home in the 1938 MC had something in common.  Definite NZ connection here

10.  There have been 43 NZ breds win the MC, but how many NZ trained

11.  NZ breds have filled the trifecta on how many occasions, and when was the first

12.  This horse unbelievably won it's 10 lead up races, to winning the MC

13.  The race that stops a nation.  There was a famous twist to this line a few years back, what is it.  If anyone says the obvious, it is minus 1 point