The Race Place

Willing Suspensions of disbelief ...

Maximus

Stewards had a field day at Hastings, imposing suspensions on 4 senior riders - Grylls, Spratt, Hercock and Bosson for careless riding and/or excessive use of whip. Bosson's careless riding on Times Ticking in R6 could have ended up very badly for any of 4 riders dislodged from their mounts.

Severe punishment for jocks is long overdue, in my opinion. They've been told for months and months the 'new rules' about excessive use.
We should be taking an even firmer 'lead' in offsetting accusations from the 'woke' brigade of anti-everythings who are always quick to vent their spleen over 'animal cruelty'.

MM

• Like 2

I find it incredible that you put four riders on the deck and you get 6 weeks

FFS, that's a fcuken joke 

Minimum 3 months, realistically 6 months

The riding standard in NZ is very poor, this level of decision does zip to improve it.

Just a bloody joke

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

According to NZ Racing there are 17 jocks under or soon to begin suspensions.

According to NSW jockey premiership there are currently 9 NSW jocks under suspension,      hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

A big message there 

17 minutes ago, Turny said:

I find it incredible that you put four riders on the deck and you get 6 weeks

FFS, that's a fcuken joke 

Minimum 3 months, realistically 6 months

The riding standard in NZ is very poor, this level of decision does zip to improve it.

Just a bloody joke

Especially when we have just seen a jockey killed, because another jockey pushed it, in trying to take a gap that was not there

This Bosson/Te Akau thing gets under my skin some times

Sure they do a lot for racing in NZ, they also make a lot of money doing it

But this does not mean they should be afforded any special treatment

We will never see the head on, should Bosson have corrected Times Ticking's inward movement, but would that have meant losing the race.

Send a strong message and put Bosson out for 6 months

• Like 1

O Bosson (TIMES TICKING) - Admitted a charge of careless riding in that he permitted his mount TIMES TICKING to shift inwards when not sufficiently clear, crowding OLD TOWN ROAD (L Allpress) and TAVIS COURT (F Lazet) over the concluding stages with both L Allpress and F Lazet being dislodged from their mounts after the winning post as a consequence, along with D Danis (CROSS ROADS) and M Hudson (PULL NO PUNCHES) from resulting interference. After considering submissions the Adjudicative Committee imposed a suspension of O Bosson’s licence to ride in races from the conclusion of racing on Saturday, 29 October up to and including racing on Friday, 9 December, 6 weeks, and in addition imposed a fine of $1000

Hesi, think it is well known on this site I follow Aussie racing, Melb first then Sydney for big carnivals... get slammed from time to time for doing so

Sole reason is the quality of race riding .. every horse is, at some time, put in the race .. you get your chance if you bet. Simple as that.The quality of riding is so much better.

Any transgressions dealt with, severely... so there are few and the riding is much much tighter and closer, particularly at the Heath and MV.

South Island riding is absolutely terrible, just a joke and up North is average at best

Yesterday, 4 on the deck and a deferred 6 weeks ... NO NO NO

Terrible, protected species decision

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Tongue in cheek Tom

A serious issue, with the potential to redefine penalties. NZ Racing has enough serious issues to deal with, no room for more.

Humorists can start their own thread, the matter calls for serious debate. 

With the Weatherley decision now this, where fcuk are NZ Racing headed, further down the shitbox

I have little interest NZ Racing these days, but cannot believe they continue to self destruct.

Acquiesing to a few major stables creating protection for those attached.

You sow, you reap

Edited by Turny
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Turny said:

So putting  4 on the deck is OK is it

Surely you are joking

You must have missed my posts on Mr Bosson in the past. My view is that a jockey is simply doing a job, none do it a lot better than others, but even if they do, it makes little difference from a punting angle. 

This is just typical of the way the hierarchy deals with the likes of him. An average jockey (like most in NZ), who gets away with special treatment and also the idea that he is actually an asset. NZ needs to wake up.

And by the way, it's not humour -it is the very sad state of things in NZ. 

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 2

He is grossly over rated in ability rankings for sure.

I don’t see any evidence he got special treatment here, seems consistent with other rulings both here and in Aus.

Tom the worst thing about Aus racing is whip use, it’s a horrendous watch in todays world. The hard arsed riding and vigorous displays on horses out of contention makes me cringe.

The whip and the sport for that matter is living on borrowed time as it is, the general public has marginal interest in both countries today, although Aussies are more accepting of it than here.

If I walked downtown Hamilton tomorrow, 90% of people I encounter wouldn’t know that racing is still conducted in the city, it’s almost like it’s trying to hide away.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, barryb said:

I don’t see any evidence he got special treatment here, seems consistent with other rulings both here and in Aus.

Tom the worst thing about Aus racing is whip use, it’s a horrendous watch in todays world. The hard arsed riding and vigorous displays on horses out of contention makes me cringe.

The whip and the sport for that matter is living on borrowed time as it is, the general public has marginal interest in both countries today, although Aussies are more accepting of it than here.

If I walked downtown Hamilton tomorrow, 90% of people I encounter wouldn’t know that racing is still conducted in the city, it’s almost like it’s trying to hide away.

Do you ask the question before or after they ask you for money?

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Hesi said:

This Bosson/Te Akau thing gets under my skin some times

Sure they do a lot for racing in NZ, they also make a lot of money doing it

But this does not mean they should be afforded any special treatment

We will never see the head on, should Bosson have corrected Times Ticking's inward movement, but would that have meant losing the race.

Send a strong message and put Bosson out for 6 months

They cant do that they only gave Sam Weatherley 9 weeks for causing a fall that killed someone...surely that now must be what is worked back from in terms of penalties...hell that poor girl who caused the fall at Matamata not nearly as bad as Opie she got 6 weeks too..seems some are protected species and that seems not right. What would of happened if A Mudhoo had done that or if Taiki's fall had been the other way round.

10 hours ago, barryb said:

So Barry do you honestly think if a rider on Everest Day or CC day had done what Opie did would have got off so lightly..come on be real...they would have been out for months...and we would of ALL been able to see the replays from every which angle.

10 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I can't ever recall a single incident on a racetrack in NZ that resulted in 4 riders being dumped

But it was blatant he made no effort at all to try to straighten his mount..Lisa was screaming at him for room...total disregard for fellow jockeys safety.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RJB said:

So Barry do you honestly think if a rider on Everest Day or CC day had done what Opie did would have got off so lightly..come on be real...they would have been out for months...and we would of ALL been able to see the replays from every which angle.

Actually the penalty is in line with what I’ve witnessed in Aus

This incident was as Blatant if not more and had the potential to bring down many more horses jockeys in the process 

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/23dbe693-6c33-4165-9e5b-7627435588a7