The Race Place

Willing Suspensions of disbelief ...

Maximus

10 minutes ago, barryb said:

5 horses my arse, look at the 2 pics I provided, 1-2 at most, normal riding every day in Aus.

yes in the last 20 meters you are right...look where he originally started from all he had to do was change hands with the whip at the 100m mark and maybe none of the carnage would have happened...it was not only the last few meters that the horse layed in it was for more than 100m...

Edited by RJB
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Poor Matt Cameron, wonder what he is thinking.  Tried it on with somebody and got 2 years

And the judge said

Judge made open comments about the low level of the offending and stated that the Racing jurisdiction should reflect that in their decision. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RJB said:

I rode in over 1000 races...here and in Oz...looking after your fellow riders is an unwritten code ...he never once looked out for them.

Out of interest, has there ever been a situation where jockeys refuse to ride with another jockey who does not follow this unwritten code

44 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Out of interest, has there ever been a situation where jockeys refuse to ride with another jockey who does not follow this unwritten code

No but I can tell you there were a few sorted out by the others one way or another.

48 minutes ago, RJB said:

He was thrown to the wolves...ridiculous penalty...and a decent guy who made a mistake.

The 10 years may be  out there but ... he punted on another horse and pulled his up .... hits the very perceived issue of cheating and had to be dealt with very severley.

Personally think the 10 years is relevant ... but the keystone cop efforts of chasing him and hiding in hedges to get photos of him riding trackwork was ridiculous and bizarre. At that point they lost my support . .. ex cops vendetta

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Turny said:

The 10 years may be  out there but ... he punted on another horse and pulled his up .... hits the very perceived issue of cheating and had to be dealt with very severley.

Personally think the 10 years is relevant ... but the keystone cop efforts of chasing him and hiding in hedges to get photos of him riding trackwork was ridiculous and bizarre. At that point they lost my support . .. ex cops vendetta

Thats what I was meaning actually the witch-hunt to catch him out.

• Like 2

Some of the comparisons are bizarre 

Damien Oliver placed a 10k bet through a 3rd party at MV in 2010 on the winner Miss Octapussy …incidentally Oliver rode in that race finishing 6th….. he received a 10 month suspension 

James McDonald on the other hand had a 1k bet placed on his behalf on his own mount Astern and receives an 18 month suspension 

As a punter I’d know which two jockeys I’d rather have my money on with these two situations 

21 minutes ago, Turny said:

Agree VC, they simply do not add up ... particularly Oliver's.... our benchmark set and transgress and you are out for a very time ... potentially finished

Yeah Oliver got off scot-free in comparison to David Walker

• Like 1

Despite his comments, that I thought were off the mark, credit is due Guerin, who managed to get hold of video of the incident and was prepared to have it published.

Also a clear signal that Weigh In is not having it's strings pulled by TAB NZ or NZTR or Ellis, or it would not have been shown.  Independence to critique what needs to be critiqued.  Is that not what is being asked for by everyone in racing.  Just like they get stuck in on the Aus racing shows

Emily Bosson must have been uncomfortable about things, but that is just too bad, I thought she deflected it well

43 minutes ago, Maximus said:

This thread has morphed from a discussion about suspensions of jockeys for bad behaviour to the merits or otherwise of synthetic tracks. Should this latter subject be transferred to its own thread? Hesi, you da man !

MM

I'll look at it later and try and figure out how to do it

in the meantime, some 'stills' of the incident. Personally, Max is appalled that careless riding from a senior jock  causing such carnage to horses and riders gets such a light penalty.

Factors to be taken into account IMO:

• already about to begin a suspension for careless riding at Avondale just a few days earlier
  • no corrective action as the horse continued to lay in in over a considerable distance
  • continued to use the right hand whip action almost to the post

It is excellent that Weigh-In dealt with the matter and showed the head-on; but to have Guerin prattling on about Opie and what did/didn't happen  in the presence of Mrs Bosson is not clever. Emily remained totally professional (by saying nothing, but that's not the point; surely the segment could have been done by Guerin alone or pre-recorded without her.

Screenshot 2022-10-20 10.32.21.png

Screenshot 2022-10-20 10.32.31.png

Screenshot 2022-10-20 10.32.43.png

Screenshot 2022-10-20 10.32.51.png

Screenshot 2022-10-20 10.34.17.png

20 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I'll look at it later and try and figure out how to do it

If you select the posts you want to move a Box appears. The left hand icon allows you to split these off into a separate thread.

I can do it but probably best you learn how to yourself.

52 minutes ago, pete said:

If you select the posts you want to move a Box appears. The left hand icon allows you to split these off into a separate thread.

I can do it but probably best you learn how to yourself.

Thanks, yes I will.  Won't be till tonight though, busy day.  Maxi, you could always have a go

I thought it was an appalling piece of riding when I saw it live and the head-on replay is even more damning. I felt the horse should have lost the race and the punishment way too light. Having said that punishment shouldn't be based on outcome, for obvious reasons. Nevertheless there was a chance for multiple fatalities in this instance given the scenario - both horses and jockeys - and that is what the punishment should be based on: what is the worst that could have happened ? ....an awful lot really. 6 months on the sideline would make OP reconsider doing this again and more importantly perhaps convey to less experienced jockeys that this behavior is absolutely outlawed.

Don't get me started on deferment. No penalty should be deferred. It is the risk you take when you engage a rider that subsequently anything could happen that precludes them jumping on your horse when raceday arrives. Just my 5 cents worth.

• Like 2