The Race Place

Willing Suspensions of disbelief ...

Maximus

No just stating you dont know about riding if you think what Opie did was OK...because he won...sorry I dont agree with that thinking...he needed to straighten his horse up long before the winning post and he never did...thats my point of view and I am sticking to it.Not really bothered what you think as I also think you are talking shit in some of what you say but I refrain from being so crass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PWJ said:

I thought it was an appalling piece of riding when I saw it live and the head-on replay is even more damning. I felt the horse should have lost the race and the punishment way too light. Having said that punishment shouldn't be based on outcome, for obvious reasons. Nevertheless there was a chance for multiple fatalities in this instance given the scenario - both horses and jockeys - and that is what the punishment should be based on: what is the worst that could have happened ? ....an awful lot really. 6 months on the sideline would make OP reconsider doing this again and more importantly perhaps convey to less experienced jockeys that this behavior is absolutely outlawed.

Don't get me started on deferment. No penalty should be deferred. It is the risk you take when you engage a rider that subsequently anything could happen that precludes them jumping on your horse when raceday arrives. Just my 5 cents worth.

Max is tempted to post a frame-by-frame analysis so the racing peeps can fully appreciate what happens here...
...eg Lisa mouthing "OPIE!" or maybe "Ohmygod!" as she reins in OTR trying to avoid the inevitable; Tavi's Court's snout hit the running rail and he bounced off it (as a result of Old Town Road squeezing it for room as Times Ticking continued to lay in under vigorous right-hand whip action from OP); then Cross Roads swerving violently to the right as rider Darren Danis tried to avoid hitting Lisa and/or Faye; Danis falling as a result; then the well-beaten Bari swerving violently to the right in an attempt to avoid the carnage and canoning into Bellissimo, which smacks into Pull No Punches, dislodging Mereana Hudson.

OP seems oblivious to the mayhem behind him...didn't show any expression of awareness, let alone surprise...what was he thinking (about)?? Surely not the VRC Spring Carnival...or the NZ Cup Carnival... surely not the Grp 3 money ...

we will never know...but he seemed to show no apparent concern for the four riders or horses strewn in his wake as he brought narrow winner back to scale.

Opie sails on with half the field riderless behind him.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, barryb said:

Stop talking shit, those whom follow me enough on here know that isn't the case with me.

What I would take issue with is you stating because you rode 1000 horses you know what you are talking about.

That's like saying because I drive on the road everyday then I must know a fuck of a lot about road surfaces or about road crashes and about dangerous driving.

Confirm, Barry can get a bit ropey at times especially if I mention a certain name, but he does not get emotionally attached to the horses he backs

2 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Confirm, Barry can get a bit ropey at times especially if I mention a certain name, but he does not get emotionally attached to the horses he backs

No I was meaning of course he would think Opie did the right thing as he got it home...no matter the consequences...