The Race Place

Rogie's hopes and dreams with Sharp N Smart ...

Maximus

Not so long ago the plan was to win the Cox Plate but ...things change in racing...

now the plan is to win the Spring Championship Stakes and back up a week later in the VRC Derby.

If the horse pulls this off, I will doff my cap to horse rider and trainer(s). 

He's going to have to be one mean animal to do so  (I'm talking about the horse!).

Nothing about this horse tells me he's a true superstar but that's what dreams are made of, I guess...winning everything, the bigger the better. .Maybe the 3yos this year are ornery, maybe everything will go right for the connections, maybe the lure of $3M in prizemoney in the space of a week is impossible to resist.

MM

11 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Not so long ago the plan was to win the Cox Plate but ...things change in racing...

now the plan is to win the Spring Championship Stakes and back up a week later in the VRC Derby.

He's going to have to be one mean animal to do so  (I'm talking about the horse!).

Nothing about this horse tells me he's a true superstar but that's what dreams are made of, I guess...winning everything, the bigger the better. .Maybe the 3yos this year are ornery, maybe everything will go right for the connections, maybe the lure of $3M in prizemoney in the space of a week is impossible to resist.

MM

Rogie talk

1 hour ago, pete said:

Yeah got it right once with Savabeel and we've never heard the end of it.

indeed...and Savabeel ran 2nd in the Gloaming (in mid-Sept), then the Spring Chamship Stks (two wks later) then the Cox Plate (3wks later) before 'backing up' from the Cox to run a gallant 2nd in the VRC Derby behind Plastered. 

My point? Rogie is planning to make S'N'S run three times in four weeks over further trips,  - Gloaming was 12/10 1800m (1st); Spring 2000m 22/10; VRC Derby 2500m 29/10...

that's 6300m if he starts in all three ...the horse has to travel and 'train' as well... tough ask even for a mature horse, let alone any three-year-old in the Spring.

I know, I know ..the owners pay the bills they can do what they like but ...

MM

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Maximus said:

indeed...and Savabeel ran 2nd in the Gloaming (in mid-Sept), then the Spring Chamship Stks (two wks later) then the Cox Plate (3wks later) before 'backing up' from the Cox to run a gallant 2nd in the VRC Derby behind Plastered. 

My point? Rogie is planning to make S'N'S run three times in four weeks over further trips,  - Gloaming was 12/10 1800m (1st); Spring 2000m 22/10; VRC Derby 2500m 29/10...

that's 6300m if he starts in all three ...the horse has to travel and 'train' as well... tough ask even for a mature horse, let alone any three-year-old in the Spring.

I know, I know ..the owners pay the bills they can do what they like but ...

MM

I don't think they are further trips than Savabeel - the last three are overall, shorter trips. He was originally entered for the Melbourne Cup also - and had reasonable bets placed on him.

3 hours ago, mardigras said:

I don't think they are further trips than Savabeel - the last three are overall, shorter trips. He was originally entered for the Melbourne Cup also - and had reasonable bets placed on him.

Wasnt comparing his programme to Savabeel's campaign in that respect mardi

meant that each race for SNS was progressively further distances...requiring more of the horse in terms of fitness/stamina/soundness/risk of injury etc ..

MM

On 10/18/2022 at 10:36 AM, Maximus said:

MM

Well he broke our heart on Saturday that's for sure (Elliptical camp). The words "Rogie - Bugger!!!" escaped my lips as I recall

not sure about egg on face. The original post was more about what the connections are asking of the horse to pull off the treble over progressively longer trips on different tracks (and track conditions) culminating in 2500m and that long Flemington straight on Saturday ...12, 22 and 29 October. He had only 10 days break between the Gloaming and the Spring, now has to back up after a three wide run over 2000m on rain-affected going.
Full credit to the horse if he's superior to the other 3yos ... he certainly races with an iron will, I hope the rest of his constitution is rock hard (esp his legs).

MM

Contratthe Rogie approach with SNS and Liam Howley with the Almanzor colt Virtuous Circle, runner-up to Berkeley Square in the Mooney Valley Vase (Grp 2, 2040m), the Victorian equivalent to the Spring Championship Stakes.

“Don’t get me wrong the owners would love to have a Derby runner… but it was a big effort and to ask him to back up a week later and to ask the same effort might be too far,” Howley said. “When he hits the line like that everyone says Derby, but he’ll get his chance in time."

MM

Just now, Maximus said:

Contratthe Rgoie approach with SNS and Liam Howlwy wit the Almanzor colt Virtuous Circle, runner-up to Berkeley Square in the Mooney Valley Vase (Grp 2, 2040m), vthe Victoria equivalent to the Spring Championship Stakes.

“Don’t get me wrong the owners would love to have a Derby runner… but it was a big effort and to ask him to back up a week later and to ask the same effort might be too far,” Howley said. “When he hits the line like that everyone says Derby, but he’ll get his chance in time."

MM

Surely that is horse dependent. I don't see anything wrong with running a horse in the Gloaming, Spring Championship and Derby (and Melbourne Cup after that even if it had been possible). The decision should be horse based, and without knowing that, it's speculation.

I thought Phar Lap won the Cox Plate before winning on all four days of the Flemington carnival. Horse being fit and well and enjoying racing would be more the issue, rather than whether what is being asked of Sharp N Smart is too much.

21 hours ago, mardigras said:

Surely that is horse dependent. I don't see anything wrong with running a horse in the Gloaming, Spring Championship and Derby (and Melbourne Cup after that even if it had been possible). The decision should be horse based, and without knowing that, it's speculation.

I thought Phar Lap won the Cox Plate before winning on all four days of the Flemington carnival. Horse being fit and well and enjoying racing would be more the issue, rather than whether what is being asked of Sharp N Smart is too much.

fair enough but I'd say the constitution of our thoroughbreds has changed a lot in the last 80+yrs.
Do you think Winx would've won the Cox Plate and on all 4 days of the Flemington carnival?

MM

19 minutes ago, Maximus said:

fair enough but I'd say the constitution of our thoroughbreds has changed a lot in the last 80+yrs.
Do you think Winx would've won the Cox Plate and on all 4 days of the Flemington carnival?

MM

Whatever happened with Winx you would think was also horse dependent. Chris obviously thought what was in her best interests. I'm not saying Rogerson is doing that, and from some comments maybe he isn't. But in general terms, one would hope the horse was being considered as part of the whole process.