The Race Place

Football WC

Hesi

Speaking of beaches and football, a few years ago we spent a week in Portugal and visited a few beaches.  The beach In Albufeira was most impressive. It was packed with locals playing volleyball with a football heading it over the net rather than using hands and they were very impressive with some points lasting for long periods. Also heaps of beach football.

Little wonder they are so good at the game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bloke said:

Speaking of beaches and football, a few years ago we spent a week in Portugal and visited a few beaches.  The beach In Albufeira was most impressive. It was packed with locals playing volleyball with a football heading it over the net rather than using hands and they were very impressive with some points lasting for long periods. Also heaps of beach football.

Same at Copacabana.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bloke said:

And why we, and Aus, will never rise above making a final 32 or 16

Well, there is over 200 nations that enter the World Cup and many top-rated nations miss qualifying for the final 32 i.e. Italy for the last two World Cups. 

There were some in The Aussie media saying that making the last 16 was the greatest moment in Aussie sport.

In 2010 we were unbeaten but did not qualify beyond the group stage and won the Supreme Halberg award. However, there was some sheep shagger supporter from down south who got quite upset as he was under some illusion that Rugby Worldwide was a bigger sport.

Of course, if you put it in world terms Rugby is Dannevirke and Football is New York

17 minutes ago, Bloke said:

Well, there is over 200 nations that enter the World Cup and many top-rated nations miss qualifying for the final 32 i.e. Italy for the last two World Cups. 

There were some in The Aussie media saying that making the last 16 was the greatest moment in Aussie sport.

In 2010 we were unbeaten but did not qualify beyond the group stage and won the Supreme Halberg award. However, there was some sheep shagger supporter from down south who got quite upset as he was under some illusion that Rugby Worldwide was a bigger sport.

Of course, if you put it in world terms Rugby is Dannevirke and Football is New York

Yes quite true.  When I was in America, sport in places outside of America barely existed in the press.  

There were also some in the Aussie media saying they could just possibly make the semi finals, if they squinted and everyone held their breath enough

What you say, is another reason why football will never get big here.  Making the final 16 out of 200 nations, whoopee, so what.

When we go to the Olympics, a truly worldwide event, making the final is good, but we hail our winners of medals, gold ones preferably.  Cyclists, rowers, athletes etc etc.

We can never ever achieve that in football, occasionally qualifying is our lot

3 hours ago, Hesi said:

Why, a walk along Copacabana Beach can be a life changing experience

Yeah until the kids from the favela up on the hill behind decide to descend in droves  and pilfer all the unsuspecting beachgoers of their goods in a wave of unstoppable stealing. And don't fight back as a knife will be your lot. I have family from Sao Paulo , and the story's are harrowing. 

Down to the serious stuff

Croatia vs Brazil 

Netherlands vs Argentina

A South America semi and should be the highlight of the tournament.  Surprisingly Brazil and Argentina have met only 4 times at the WC, never at a quarter, semi or final.  Netherlands never have and destined never to

Portugal vs Morocco

England vs France

Much to many people's surprise, they gelled without Ronaldo

I've got some English blood, so better go for the Poms

He He , once again the twinkletoes of world soccer stumble. Very poor penalty taking by Brasil, but give it to Croatia they are a good team , tenacious and already a runner up in a Cup final.. Sensational football to watch. And my heart is with Argentina to go and win it for Messi the (goat) , winning a first Cup since 1986 . The poms haven't got a prayer against France (imho), and Morrocco should give Portugal a hurry up,and make for a great game, from what I have seen. 

The goalkeeping has been outstanding at this world cup, and Im sure some from the lesser teams have been earmarked by talent scouts. The Ghana goalkeeper was  mercurial if you watch some of the replays.

On 12/9/2022 at 8:48 AM, Hesi said:

Didn't they win that year

Yes, and that would be the about the last major title they have ever won.
I use only a few sports basic betting rules only:

Don’t bet on NZ cricket after a big win.
Don’t bet on the Warriors after a big win ( not used much 🤭 )
Don’t bet on Women’s Tennis.
Don’t bet on England in a major tournament.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, brown fox said:

Thought France would have done much better against England and I had them down to win the cup.Not so sure now

Have to agree there. Once again the big name misses a penalty, after slotting the first one easily. Im sticking with Argentina now, but Morocco look dangerous. Who knows after some of the upsets we have seen at this tournament.  

2 hours ago, Steve P said:

France / England the best 2 teams in it

Are you English, oh thats right Brighton.  Oh ,well as one rugby player so succinctly put it.,"four more years",  lol or another 56 yrs .

France /Argentina Final. GO THE ARGIES, with some MESSI magic.

Edited by Globederby19

Seriously though, I think France will see off Morocco and Argentina will see off Croatia. 

What made me laugh was seeing prima donna crying down the tunnel after Portugal lost. Two to Three million a week , and never  making a WC  Final and never scoring in a knockout game . The most over hyped player I have ever witnessed. Messi would deserve a WC win and go out as the GOAT. The best player I have ever seen since the late 1950,s  when I started watching and listening. Go the Argies.

• Like 2

I don't really care who wins, but have always been a Croatia fan. So I'll go Croatia - Morocco final. That would be awesome rather than boring France/Argentina.

I've been to all four countries and whilst a big fan of the country, Argentina, in football, I'd prefer the lesser options. From a place to visit, France would probably rank the bottom of the four for me.

• Like 1