The Race Place

New Year's Wish list

Hesi

1.  Does seem unlikely, but that Mike Todd is able to stitch some sort of deal together, that allows a lot more money to be returned to the racing industry, so it can put a plan together to be sustainable at a level that attracts new people to racing.  This means not just money for stakes, but also for the much needed refurbishment of infrastructure, and a substantial budget for the promotion of racing in NZ.  The TAB in NZ has a wagering turnover of around $3 billion, from which $150 mil ends up going to the racing industry.  In other words 5 cents in every dollar wagered.  Is that enough? Pass, but let's say it was 7 cents, then that would see an extra $60 mil each year.  If they can't, then I don't see geo-blocking helping, costs cutting seems to have had limited progress, so the alternative is what we have seen already, substantial reductions in payouts to the 3 codes

2.  That Avondale can somehow bring their asset rich club to be part of Auckland Thoroughbred Racing.  At the moment, they are just an irrelevant pimple on the face of racing in Auckland.

3.  The renovation of the track at Ellerslie turns out to be a big success.  We won't know till 2024, but by later on in 2023 there will be some indication

4.  That connections choose to race the very best horses in NZ just a little more.  I get all the stake money thing, but these top horses came about because of the system of infrastructure that has been built up in NZ over many years by many people, so they owe it to the industry to support it just that little bit more.  Horses like Levante and Legarto, it has always been the case, that top horses are what captures the imagination

5.  Finally, it obviously won't happen in 2023, but plans are announced to return the Auckland Cup to Jan 1, the Queen Elizabeth on Boxing day is retained as a lead up race.  The Derby is returned to Boxing Day, the move to March has not produced better fields, that is just industry bs, if you have a Derby horse, it will be ready for Boxing Day.  The Epsom Derby is run first week of June, which is equivalent to first week of Dec.  The infield is opened up on Boxing Day and NYD, for picnics, boot parties and controlled BYO.  All such that, it can be seen that the place to be if you are in Auckland over Xmas/New Year is Ellerslie, a relaxing day at the races.  Not just the hifalutin glitterati of Auckland society on show.

16 minutes ago, barryb said:

These fuckwits whom constantly dream up shit to do with on course turnover are loons, racing is not on course other than Xmas time.

Its the pure boredom of the sport week in week out that killing it, there is no invention in the sport, complete fucksticks have been running it for years.

Give me 1 yr on the board and I can turn the fucking thing around, as could guys like Mardi & Curious.

Not sure of that Baz. Not in a critical  way, but what the boards of some clubs have done by changing  things around,  which hasn't worked,  can't be reversed. You put the wrong people  In charge, and looked what's happened.  Racing  in nz is slowly  dying, I for 1 , am looking  at other  codes to race , also looking  at aussie because  of the stakes. Add in  cost of racing  here, and it's  in its own demise. Personally, we need to look outside  the square,  but as other gambling  options  are frowned  upon  we really are up a creek  ?

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Not sure about other codes, you are surely not referring to harness or dogs? both those are numb as fuck.

The only thing worse than striking up a convo with a harness person is chatting about greyhounds with somebody.

Both those sports are right now in the death throws, harness is gone in 2 years & dogs less than 12 months. Both are full of numpty's so hardly a suprise, Harness watching is dull as ditchwater to partake in. Its crooked to the core & the available info is kept to a select few.

I'm a harness   supporter and always will be.  My wife isn't a bug racing  fan but happy to go the races, she prefers harness  cause we can go hail, rain or shine. We can sit and eat comfortably  , by Alex park, not crowded space, great view  .  I think to attract  the next gen, technology  has to play its part, not total gambling,  but oncourse  technology,to entice the new generation 

9 minutes ago, barryb said:

Harness has zero chance of attracting the next gen V, it can't even attract racing fans like me.

That I understand,  but as I've said, wrong management  can ruin  a business,  and it's hard to bring it back. I think harness  can survive but it needs total support from all involved, but outside help could be  influential  , if the proper business  acumen   got involved 

13 hours ago, barryb said:

Harness has zero chance of attracting the next gen V, it can't even attract racing fans like me.

Yes, and that's so sad.

Dad was a member and committeeman of Canterbury Park Trotting Club [ which merged with New Brighton Trotting Club to form the Met ], and my first memories of racing of any persuasion was watching, as a child, the magnificent Lordship in his prime.

I only got interested in galloping as a result of competing on ridden horses, at dressage/jumping events, so it was a given that thoroughbred racing would be of more interest, and indeed, a lifetime passion.

You are right, the racing nowadays [ trots and gallops] is as boring as hell, the programming is uninspiring,  and the administrators don't seem to know which way is up.

The couple you mentioned in an earlier post, along with your good self and another couple I could throw in, would definitely be able to turn things around..but for all that, it just may be too late.

There has been so much damage done - and the societal issues we now have must be taken into consideration as well - that there can't be much left to resurrect.

• Like 1

Pretty much agree with Barry.

Comparing us to Aussie really is night and day.

Randwick, every time I go over I am stunned at the huge numbers of 20 to 30 year old couples that go. The boys decked out in very smart casuals and the young girls dressed for a fashion show. Total pride in how they present.

The boys all seem to have a standard bet .. $50 on the nose. They save 100 for the last for a 50 each way. Do they punt, they love it. The girls punt too but mainly 20 each ways.

Food superb. Variety and not ripped off. No hot dog stands like CJC.

After the last race, a rock band sets up in the sunken parade ring behind the stands and they dance till midnight and party up. It is a huge event. And they keep coming back for more. Upwards of 500 young ones go to the rock gig.

I asked a copper if they get shit or fights at the rock gig and he looked and me, chuckled and said mate first offence and it is 2 years ousted and their is no way they will risk that, it just don't happen. The 2 years is for all NSW racetracks.

Aussie have a different DNA, really is as simple as that.

NSW has a junior racing advisory board of under 35s, males and females feeding their needs and wants to NSW Racing. I have been banging on for 25 years about stale old age males running our industry.

As Barry says, give us a year it is so bloody simple.

Give us more of the same and we are totally puckeroed. It is just over.

Edited by Turny

Freda, I remember CPT well.

I used to go with my young brother Johnny on NY day and 2 days later for their second night meeting. Fantastic nights.

I was 12 and had a nice guy put 5 each way on Pancho Boy in the big pace and he won and paid 18s. My first ever bet with my 3 weeks of  lawnmowing money. Got me hooked for life, thought the punting game was easy

Great days

• Like 1