The Race Place

Lincoln Farms

Happy Sunrise

Have you ever come across a more self serving bunch than Lincoln Farms.

They can twist a story any which way they want.

Cry like  babies when it goes against them but come across as condescending propagandists when it falls for them.

https://www.lincolnfarms.co.nz/stories/copy-that-can-spark-new-years-eve-fireworks-even-in-four-horse-race-at-alexandra-park/

Just watched Mick Guerin talking about this on the Box Seat. He has been talking a bit of sense recently but he is way off beam with his support of the running of the Franklin Cup. 

His argument you have to run the race to instill confidence for the future is valid but said in a vacuum of information. How can you say it should run but never mention the fact of the 10% harness funding hole. You just can't take him seriously when this is not mentioned.

Confidence? goodness, run a race so you won't lose tightly assessed horses overseas, well, the industry will be losing plenty of horses because of the 10% reduction.

9 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

Should be a real betting attraction that race.Why not loosen the class for the Franklin Cup,attract a bigger field and put the good ones on handicaps,that would create a bit of interest imo

I totally agree, but its just not  the way nowadays. One just couldn't have their precious having to chase down a field from a back mark, dear me .  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

Should be a real betting attraction that race.Why not loosen the class for the Franklin Cup,attract a bigger field and put the good ones on handicaps,that would create a bit of interest imo

Well it was a 2 mile stand like the Nz Cup for a lot of years NG. now at 2700m these days and COPY THAT (your double Nz Cup Champion) is off 30m or about 3 seconds behind the other 3 runners. Won't be a problem for when he tacks on will only be 4 lengths from the lead with the small field . So will pounce.

You might remember Delightful Lady ? a grand mare in the 80's who was loved like WINX was at the gallops. I was there when she won the Franklin Cup off a whopping 55m behind. They made so much noise/roar in the grandstand it was like the MCG on Grand Final Day.  

• Like 2

On 12/29/2022 at 9:12 PM, Lightning Blue said:

You might remember Delightful Lady ? a grand mare in the 80's who was loved like WINX was at the gallops. I was there when she won the Franklin Cup off a whopping 55m behind. They made so much noise/roar in the grandstand it was like the MCG on Grand Final Day.  

Geez, you must old.

• Haha 1

On 12/29/2022 at 8:01 AM, Happy Sunrise said:

Just watched Mick Guerin talking about this on the Box Seat. He has been talking a bit of sense recently but he is way off beam with his support of the running of the Franklin Cup. 

His argument you have to run the race to instill confidence for the future is valid but said in a vacuum of information. How can you say it should run but never mention the fact of the 10% harness funding hole. You just can't take him seriously when this is not mentioned.

Confidence? goodness, run a race so you won't lose tightly assessed horses overseas, well, the industry will be losing plenty of horses because of the 10% reduction.

Micks on many payrolls 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

They are still at it, still want everything their own way I never knew a driver had to hand up.

“I’m more pissed off the way it happened. It was just unadulterated stupidity on behalf of that driver. Anybody with half a brain would have handed up. It cost him too as he stopped (to sixth).”

And article about the bleed of which they have no concern:

https://www.lincolnfarms.co.nz/stories/copy-that-found-to-have-bled-after-choking-down-and-faces-28-day-stand-down/

• Like 4

Agree Happy. Blair and a couple of others think it is their god given right to lead and not have to fight for it. Blair, Tim and Matt need to rethink the game plan when they go to Oz, need a Plan B.

Welcome to the real world in competitive Aussie.

Thats why I find trots in NZ a bore fest, you know how it pans out

Edited by Turny
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Turny said:

Blair, Tim and Matt need to rethink the game plan when they go to Oz, need a Plan B.

A bit harsh on Blair and Tim but Matt is very one dimensional driver. Gets away with leading down south with occasional help from the bros at times but gets found out in Canterbury on many occasions. Just my thoughts

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

They are still at it, still want everything their own way I never knew a driver had to hand up.

“I’m more pissed off the way it happened. It was just unadulterated stupidity on behalf of that driver. Anybody with half a brain would have handed up. It cost him too as he stopped (to sixth).”

Exactly right HS, you draw one in a big race , (or any race for that matter), you should be able to lead if you want. Mach Dan took the leader Spirit of St Louis on full-bore at the start (and still came on late for 4th as well) . Copy That couldn't cross Spirit either after that .

An 'Orange' mistake IMO. Copy That had a bad draw with Copy That and needed a solid tactic used by Zac Butcher on Old Town Road to be of better effect.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Addington said:

A bit harsh on Blair and Tim but Matt is very one dimensional driver. Gets away with leading down south with occasional help from the bros at times but gets found out in Canterbury on many occasions. Just my thoughts

Agree entirely Addington, they can get away with it here, and they do week after week, but as shown in Aussie, over many years of watching, they simply do not gift the lead .. never ever and I guess the short straights come into play.

I much prefer the Aussie driving styles rather than the 'gifting' that goes on locally

Edited by Turny
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lightning Blue said:

you draw one in a big race , (or any race for that matter), you should be able to lead if you want.

Aussie racing is different. A lot better in many regards, no tame affairs like we have in our group 1s.

I don't get the language Ray Green uses, 'unadulterated stupidity' and 'half a brain' would hardly endear himself to the Aussies for next time.

• Like 2

Interesting thread, with some real good comments. 

I had a couple of multis finishing on Copy That, so was disappointed with the result, but more concerned about the horse, as it was obvious something was wrong, and it wasn't the lead driver not handing up! 

The typical aussie harness style, for as long as I can remember, is to put such a high value on getting the lead. Brittany Graham was completely shocked in her pre-race interview, when Cranbourne's driver indicated he was likely to go back at the start. Her follow up question along the lines of the confidence levels from trying to win the race from behind. Cranbourne ended up winning, and the driving tactics conveyed pre-race, was exactly how it panned out. Some quarters have questioned her presence and attire oncourse, immediately prior to the score up, but I find it very worthwhile. The interviews I mean. I have no comment about her short dresses and leather, thigh high boots, and flowing golden locks. 

As for Ray's comments, probably not great. I don't agree with him. But he may be forgiven, heat of the moment and all that lol but he should know better.

Aussie drivers are not going to give up a lead easily. And certainly not, when the big coin is up. 

2 hours ago, Turny said:

I much prefer the Aussie driving styles rather than the 'gifting' that goes on locally

Which is why you need a punting premium these days for old style Kiwi drivers like RM and CJDF. Both like to sit back and close late but thats not the way the game is played by most these days

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

Aussie drivers are not going to give up a lead easily. And certainly not, when the big coin is up. 

1 hour ago, Addington said:

Which is why you need a punting premium these days for old style Kiwi drivers like RM and CJDF. Both like to sit back and close late but thats not the way the game is played by most these days

Today it seems the concept of having to be in front over short 2000m races has gone to some driver's heads, going so hard early they are gone way before the finishing post. 

• Like 1

Checking race replay to see what you guys are talking about. Nice win by winner.

Agree Spirit had lead & right of way. Copy That was the challenger. Was pretty obviously when holding off Mach Dan challenge Spirits driver wanted to stay in front.

Connections of Spirit could say the same, but say hey at least we only faded late, so actually you stuffed both our chances.

Copy That could of waited for imminent cover. Usually get a mover or 2 in those big races.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, far too much said:

is he a STIPE nowadays?

I don't think so. At least not in NZ. But I stand to be corrected. 

Mr Brady wasn't usually on the same side as officialdom lol

Just the talk of front running driving styles, reminded me of him. 

55 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Mr Brady wasn't usually on the same side as officialdom lol

Exciting times whenever he was on the track. He could have even taught the Ozzies a thing or two about aggressive driving.

I thought this drive by John Patterson was more circumstantial than deliberate, his horse got stuck in a place it couldn't extract itself from due to its ability. How after 14 starts it is still rated a MR40 I am not sure, maiden or not. Surely it should be down to 35 already. The handicapping system needs a new bottom. 35 is just too high lol.

KID GLOVES - broke in the score up and was out of position at the start. A warning was placed on the barrier record of the mare. Raced wide throughout. Weakened over the concluding stages. Driver J Patterson defended a charge under Rule 869(3)(g) alleging that he drove in a manner capable of diminishing his chances of winning when allowing his horse to race three wide throughout before weakening. After viewing the replays and hearing evidence from Stewards and Mr Patterson the Adjudicative Committee found the charge proved. After hearing penalty submissions Mr Patterson's driver's licence was suspended from the conclusion of racing today up to and including 26 February 2023 (6 days).