The Race Place

Te Akau dominance.

ngakonui grass

1 hour ago, vanturk said:

I am for 1 looking  now at shares in aussie  trained , raced. The $$$  just don't stack up here for thoroughbred  racing 

So, do aussie trained and raced horses do better financially on average than NZ ones? Where did you see that?

Edited by curious

• 2 weeks later...

For all you knockers out there here is facts from after the Magic Millions...

Here we aim to highlight the Top 5 buyers that we observed in our 2015–2021 yearling dataset.

David Ellis (Te Akau) — 17.02% stakes winners to purchases

On raw numbers, founder and principal of Te Akau racing in New Zealand — David Ellis — performed as the top purchaser of yearlings globally on our buyer dataset between 2015–2021. We identified 188 yearling purchases, an average spend of $212,872 AUD and with a stakes return of 32 winners (17.02%)

7 minutes ago, RJB said:

For all you knockers out there here is facts from after the Magic Millions...

Here we aim to highlight the Top 5 buyers that we observed in our 2015–2021 yearling dataset.

David Ellis (Te Akau) — 17.02% stakes winners to purchases

On raw numbers, founder and principal of Te Akau racing in New Zealand — David Ellis — performed as the top purchaser of yearlings globally on our buyer dataset between 2015–2021. We identified 188 yearling purchases, an average spend of $212,872 AUD and with a stakes return of 32 winners (17.02%)

That's interesting, but how many of those 32 winners were purchased under or over the average spend.   That is the real telling factor.  

Not sure but its no mean feat to be the leading buyer in the Southern hemisphere...love them or hate them he does know how to find a good one.I am believer of no matter what they are by or out of if they aint athletes first and foremost they won't run...pedigrees are made not bought...the page only tells you how much the particular athlete will cost...my opinion but I learnt from one of the best judges ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Not sure but its no mean feat to be the leading buyer in the Southern hemisphere...love them or hate them he does know how to find a good one.I am believer of no matter what they are by or out of if they aint athletes first and foremost they won't run...pedigrees are made not bought...the page only tells you how much the particular athlete will cost...my opinion but I learnt from one of the best judges ever.

Also there's more to it than purchases? Mark walker plays a big part, staff play there part,  and  Mr Ellis does do a good job 

11 minutes ago, RJB said:

great days racing and no doubt THE best horses in NZ are on show part from 1 Sharp N Smart.

Half a day's racing, really. Unlike Magic Millions' full 10-race card.

Most of the best 2yo and 3yos, sure ... but no Sharp N Smart, no Dark Destroyer, no Levante.

MM

41 minutes ago, RJB said:

great days racing and no doubt THE best horses in NZ are on show part from 1 Sharp N Smart.

Agree to some extent, but the best stayers and sprinters are missing, also the focus is on 1200-1600m 3 year olds, so several Oaks and Derby contenders are missing as well 

Now you are talking nonsense...anyone can compete in the KM races...maybe some others should get some better clients or better judges to buy their horses how can you decry a person being successful if they are prepared to go the extra mile to achieve that the TA team spend months looking at the horses and leave no stone unturned to make sure they buy the right ones and then the whole team then has to go out and sell probably 100 plus shares, you think that is easy...come on get real.......you seem very narrow minded...JMO.

Maybe you should listen to people who have done the stats already...he is not the only one who spends up big but he has the best record of them all...I do not have any association with TA just feel credit should be given where it is due.

David Ellis — performed as the top purchaser of yearlings globally on our buyer dataset between 2015–2021.

I'm not disputing he spends up large and has a lot of success, and I have commented a number of times on the positives Te Akau have for the industry, but, Allovertheform, presented data on purchases $400K and over in the last 5 years, showing 13 mil spent for $773,000 return in stakes, so we will just do a follow up on that for the 32 yearlings bought at the 2022 sale.

It is all data in public forum, just a matter of putting it all together.