Craig's 5 Winners Spring Summer Comp Second to Last Day Feb 22
Sir Gee Gee's(Sir Gallivant/Rex) HARNESS Comp continues FEB 23RD OAMARU - BURNIE
Sign in to follow this  
Mardy

Rick May

Thoughts are with Rick and his family.After he apparently he collapsed when leading the field in the Cup earlier today,and fell out the back of the cart.Reports are he had a heart attack,and he is now breathing but in a serious condition.Apparently it looked aweful watching it,and im glad i never saw it.Hang in there Rick.

• Thanks 1

I didn't see it either but sounds awful. A real legend and seems a hugely nice bloke. As you say, hang in there Rick.

From what im reading on BOAY..he was brought back by Ellie Barron who done CPR...others raced on course to help out as well.Went into cardiac arrest shortly after the start according to the powers that be.

• Thanks 1

Absolute legend of NZ harness racing. Seven NZ Cups to his credit. Would be a huge loss, and I do hope he makes it through.

• Like 1

I know Mardy has seen this, but wanted to share this, as was posted on the Harness Racing Owners page by Craig Wiggins last night.

I have just got off the phone to Judy May at 11.45 pm...
Richard is stable and sedated with a positive outlook at this stage.Judy asked me to thank those with positive thoughts and we also discussed some of the comments being passed around from some commentators on social media. Ricky's diagnosis as to his medical event is at this stage unconfirmed and not a topic for speculation.
Please respect Ricky and family through this time and don't inflate or get mileage for the social media or mainstream pages you are involved in. Ricky and Judy will in time when they are 100 percent sure behind the reason he had today's medical event release a statement...again thank you to all those who have sent support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The latest information as of two hours ago.

Judy May called me at 4.30 pm
Good news his heart seems fine and he will probably need a pacemaker ... just got to wake him up slowly to check his brain function etc but he has been responsive earlier in the day. .
Thanks for your thoughts please don't call Judy atm as she needs to be focused on RT.

• Thanks 1

Humble hero: I'm just hoping for the best for Ricky May

4 Jan, 2020 5:00am
 3 minutes to read
Quick-thinking harness star Ellie Barron went to the aid of stricken driver Ricky May. Photo / supplied
Quick-thinking harness star Ellie Barron went to the aid of stricken driver Ricky May. Photo / supplied
Otago Daily Times

By: JONNY TURNER

Invercargill horsewoman Ellie Barron is being hailed a hero after coming to the aid of fellow harness racing driver Ricky May when the champion reinsman collapsed during a race.

May was revived after suffering a medical event, slumping in his sulky and falling to the track when driving A G's White Socks at a Central Otago meeting.

He was in a serious but stable condition yesterday in the intensive care unit at Dunedin Hospital.

Barron was among the first to May's side after he fell. She began giving CPR on the reinsman with the help of another driver, Lawrence McCormick.

Barron is being hailed a hero by many who witnessed the incident.

She was quick to deflect any praise and said her concern was for May's
recovery.

"I am just hoping for the best for Ricky, it is sounding positive from
all accounts. I just hope he improves, really."

Barron is a trained physiotherapist who has worked with the Southland
rugby team. She credited her training for providing her with the skills to help revive May.

"He was breathing when I got there, so I was worried about his neck and
head. Then we had to change plan a wee bit."

Barron also credited the paramedics and off duty medical staff that
rushed out of the Omakau crowd to assist May.

"It all happened so fast – there were two doctors there in what felt
like a minute, then the paramedics came."

"Everyone that could help did – it was good – but terrifying at the same
time."

Ricky May is in intensive care after collapsing during a race. Photo / fileRicky May is in intensive care after collapsing during a race. Photo / file

An intensive care paramedic played a crucial role in stabilising May,
Barron said.

"She waltzed in and she was so calm and she sort of just took over. I feel like he was so lucky to have been where he was when it happened. He could have been
at home on the tractor."

May's horse, A G's White Socks, has drawn praise following Thursday's
incident. The 6yr-old is known to be a slightly moody type on race days.
That was evident when the horse bolted frantically back to the stables
after winning a race at Oamaru in 2016.

But the horse did not panic without the control of his driver and angled
wide on the track before May fell from his sulky.

The remaining horses and drivers were able to easily manoeuvre past May
when the race was called off.

Canterbury driver John Dunn was driving the horse following A G's White
Socks when May collapsed. He showed quick reactions to slow his horse, Heisenberg, when it was apparent May was unwell.

• Thanks 1

The latest, as of around an hour ago, 2.30pm, Ricky is awake and talking to his family.

The latest as of 25 minutes ago, on Facebook
A  friend had visited Ricky for two hours this afternoon, and said it was unbelievable how good he was..
He had been up, and they were watching races from Rangiora, and nurse growled at him for being up.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the latest wonderful news, as of an hour ago.

Ricky May will travel back to Christchurch this week for a small operation to allow him a confident return to a normal life as he knows it.
He will have a short stay in hospital and then return back to his farm in Methven to take time to recover. Over the next few months I am sure he will want to hear from the many of you that want to convey your support in person.
He has the right to tell those he wants to or the media what caused his medical event and I will not be commenting on that.
I can say we have our wee champion with us to admire and enjoy. He realizes the support he has and is eternally grateful along with Judy and his family so thank you to all those that have got behind the May family.

I wont need to post anything else on his journey as I think the future looks bright but I would like to leave you with a few thoughts.
Social media is a great tool to keep people informed of many things.Like all tools they can be misused and cause a negative result. The need to be the first to break the news or be the centre of an event should never be put in front of a person's or family's well being. The facts from qualified health professionals or the family should be what's put out into social media not what could be seen to be inflammatory or damaging to the situation and those closest to who ever is involved.

One thing that has come out of this is that for the last few days the harness racing family has all come together and put its many issues we all see as negatives aside to support Ricky. Human nature and compassion has been at it's best bought forward from the respect for our champion driver.
If we can launch forward with that same compassion and togetherness our sport we will see it back in a stronger position moving forward.
I know that would make Ricky proud and us all stronger.
Good luck in 2020 and thanks to the many of you who supported this great family through this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Astounding and good news

Ellie Barron performed CPR on him, so hard, that she broke his ribs!!