The Race Place

Woodend Watch

Happy Sunrise

Robbie Close has taken over the training of the very mediocre performing Lennox Bromac. Now, Lennox is not without ability but the TAB opened him at 10FF which is way under what he should be in a field like that today at Rangiora. It just goes to show the paranoia the TAB has with trainers based in this area after being taken to the cleaners several times by punting set ups involving form reversals. Close doesn't have the track record of Alford or Kerr, and I don't associate him with the likes of them, but it does show the TAB are not going to be taken for a ride again.

There will be some in the harness community who think comments like this are unfair but they have their head in the Woodend sand.

As an aside, the Government should build all new hospitals by the beach as it would fix all ills of the population with a simple jog along the sand. No need for an air ticket to Lourdes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rusty said:

Still in the same ownership, do you know Happy? Or new owners?

Same owners I would say. Robbie Close is a great driver and would really like to see him train more horses as I rate him. I was not casting aspersions about him in my first post but it was to highlight the Woodend factor. Lennox Bromac certainly needed a freshen up to find the ability he does possess. 

As an aside, I wouldn't believe ownership papers anyway. Best not to have some of the names in the racebook as it wouldn't look too good on occasions.

I see Alford pleaded guilty to administering the 2 horses with prohibited substances and Woodham says he glad to see people owning their actions. I think the loss of license should be at least 2 years, at the very least. They can charge him over the 2 horses but there were clearly other times his horses performed extraordinary eg Skidaddle at Ashburton but that can't be considered.

Oh, and before they give the sentence to Alford they should be opening an investigation into the death of Jimmy Cannon and the whereabouts of Skidaddle. 

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

they should be opening an investigation into the death of Jimmy Cannon and the whereabouts of Skidaddle. 

100% dead right. 

Early last month my horse had to be put down due to an unexpected medical event. It was the best thing for him obviously, given the circumstances, but jesus it was so sad. Lots of tears shed, and it's been a battle to even watch a race lately. 

Most people that own horses, have handled them, and felt the horse's breath on them, smelled them and worked/played with them, have so much respect for the horse. They love them. Yet a few farkn low-lifes in the game, see horses as nothing more than a (potential) money making commodity and just don't seem to realise, if it wasn't for the horse, they wouldn't have a job. I'm not talking about owners here, I'm talking about trainers/stable hands etc. 

And another thing. Happy, I like the title of this post. You're spot on, it's a bloody watch alright given recent (and historic) events. 

A friend of mine had a horse transferred from one racing stable to a different stable (I shall not name the location). I bumped into the owner shortly after the transfer, and their horse's first win from the new stable. They started talking about their horse and started to tear up. They had found out that their horse was given something that it should not have been. It was soon transferred out to a different stable. 

It's a bloody sad state of affairs, for a number of reasons. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rusty said:

Yet a few farkn low-lifes in the game

Sure are.

9 hours ago, Rusty said:

A friend of mine had a horse transferred from one racing stable to a different stable (I shall not name the location). I bumped into the owner shortly after the transfer, and their horse's first win from the new stable. They started talking about their horse and started to tear up. They had found out that their horse was given something that it should not have been. It was soon transferred out to a different stable. 

The fridge gas newspaper article awhile back was the turning point for me as I realized the horses that went to these stables were not suddenly running fast because the trainers were up and comers with new methods but were just given them concoctions. There are more than a few examples that most people can name.

Most trainer's horses perform consistently and the stable form goes up and down gradually with a distinct pattern. Horses generally don't keep winning them on end these days as the grade jump is too much, so for these shady types, it is all about the plunge and then the subsequent resale. Easiest way to make money.

Good on The Press and the journalists who are willing to bring light to these trainers who are destroying the game as none of the self appointed harness racing commentators are willing to even go near it and I now have no respect for any of them. They just comment on what suits them and think about how they can stay in favour with the industry. Parasites who are part of the problem.