The Race Place

Radio Live

ngakonui grass

• 2 weeks later...

This week Radio NZ is celebrating 100 years of broadcasting.

During that time racing broadcasting have played a huge part in NZ'rs way of life. The best commentator undoubtably Peter Kelly. So are we going to see mention of some of these quintessential broadcasters or the pioneers that delivered the service.. I doubt RNZ will give a fig and NZTR/TAB too apathetic to bother with any recognition. 

1 hour ago, slam dunk said:

This week Radio NZ is celebrating 100 years of broadcasting.

During that time racing broadcasting have played a huge part in NZ'rs way of life. The best commentator undoubtably Peter Kelly. So are we going to see mention of some of these quintessential broadcasters or the pioneers that delivered the service.. I doubt RNZ will give a fig and NZTR/TAB too apathetic to bother with any recognition. 

I doubt hardly anyone at NZTR and certainly no one at the TAB would have any idea who Peter was !

20 hours ago, PWJ said:

I doubt hardly anyone at NZTR and certainly no one at the TAB would have any idea who Peter was !

Refresher for those here not part of that era. Note the fluency as opposed to some of the screaming some current commentators get into. Style still gives excitement even more so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA6nfXJkAsc

• Thanks 1

..and to think that, back in the day, a very young Max spent a day or three in the commentary box at the hallowed ground of Trentham with Peter Kelly, hoping to become his right-hand man and take over when he'd had enough. Trouble for the impatient Mustelid was that PK seemed to be there forever with no hint of giving it up. Crikey, I'd turned up for three meetings in a row, binoculars at the ready ...how committed is that!? He wasn't even tired or sick of it, or gettin' a snotty nose or anythin'...called 18-horse field of maidens with a confidence, fluency and accuracy that'd make T Lee weep. Always in a suit and tie and his trademark hat.

Boo hiss. Max said to his-selfish self: "If they don't appreciate how good I am, I'll jus' hev' to ply my trade elsewhere!"And Max did!
Never lost the desire to be a racecaller though - took a tape recorder to Arawa Park one day c 1983 to practice by calling a small field of 'chasers in early May...only one little room under cover and that was taken by Haubie or some such pretender, so Max walked out onto the open roof and called it from there. Put the goggles down at the end of the 'chase to find Maxi's Mustelidian paws were just one step away from falling over the edge and the concrete a long way below! ...Ah, the follies of yoof!

MM

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Maximus said:

video about Peter Kelly

Thanks for the video Max,

I like a good mystery. What was the day at Awapuni? The best clue is No1. Paris Lad ridden by Bill Andrew. Unfortunately I don't have a Turf Register. Also highly unlikely a first leg would have been a 1200m race so TVNZ has played a trick. The stipe refers to previous Autumn day so my guess is the first leg is the Anzac Mile mile of 1974 or 1975. The reason I'm interested is that I won the race preceding the Anzac mile in 1975 with rider Ronnie Franklin. A northern horse I think Prepak won the mile and Champagne Lady the second leg.  Colour TV came along 1974 I think but with Peter Kelly not wearing a poppy perhaps not Anzac day.  ?????