The Race Place

Dexter

Royal Nod

With it looking likely Dexter will be the leading money earning driver in the USA again this season, and therefore likely he will be voted by the USTA as top driver of the 2021 season  I think HRNZ should be looking to get this news onto mainstream sports news TV.

What other sport is there where a New Zealander is basically top of their profession in the world and it gets ignored by the mainstream media as has happened the last 2 years?

Is Dave Di Somma still working for HRNZ?   When he started there he managed to get Harness Racing stories on the TV news but there has been nothing of late apart from Cup Day.

Come on HRNZ, get the wheels in motion

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Send them an Email. The silence will be deafening.

Question, why would there be silence? Is this something over the years you have noticed Globe? 

It's a positive thing & should be simple. An easy media release. 

Is this 1 of the reasons why these forums where set up due to no reply?  

Seems strange if so. But obviously these forums were set up for a reason. With hotels, restaurants there is Trip Advisor to give 5 down to 1 ratings. With Trade Me there is a rating good, neutral, bad trade. What is there in this industry for the customer? Eg Could be a customer of a trainer, customer of Hrnz, customer of a stud. Where is the feedback to place? Is this part of the reason for the free fall in numbers, popularity? Kiwis often if they experience something negative or negative customer service experience, they don't bother saying anything, they just NEVER return. 

Surely with the way the industry currently is in free fall downwards especially in North everyone not just HRNZ are aware of this. 

Ok so Enteebee isn't as keen to get involved in convo which is understandable. Honestly I can't join the dots. Not sure that Nod does either hence starting this thread.

The only thing could possibly think of is there are some skeletons lying around in closest & if bolstered up into the lime light, then could come out ... ?? hence laying low & not bringing attention. For me there isn't really a good enough reason as to why not otherwise. Do understand if the reason have said is infact the case. If not then all a bit weird. 

Question Mark Idk GIF by US National Archives

17 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Ok so Enteebee isn't as keen to get involved in convo which is understandable. Honestly I can't join the dots. Not sure that Nod does either hence starting this thread.

The only thing could possibly think of is there are some skeletons lying around in closest & if bolstered up into the lime light, then could come out ... ?? hence laying low & not bringing attention. For me there isn't really a good enough reason as to why not otherwise. Do understand if the reason have said is infact the case. If not then all a bit weird. 

Question Mark Idk GIF by US National Archives

Hi Karrots,

I think it is like some things in life, where you can't understand something, and it may come to light at some stage, or possibly never.

Most of us have enough things to deal with in our day to day lives, and are aware of the flaws that are in many of our interests, and can be plain embarrassing at times. In racing, there are things that seem to be unfair, and unsportsperson like, and if we don't like it, we can always spend our leisure dollar somewhere else. We are not forced to race horses or gamble.

Cheers.

Robert.

17 minutes ago, Double R said:

Hi Karrots,

I think it is like some things in life, where you can't understand something, and it may come to light at some stage, or possibly never.

Most of us have enough things to deal with in our day to day lives, and are aware of the flaws that are in many of our interests, and can be plain embarrassing at times. In racing, there are things that seem to be unfair, and unsportsperson like, and if we don't like it, we can always spend our leisure dollar somewhere else. We are not forced to race horses or gamble.

Cheers.

Robert.

I never start this thread. To go back here is what Nod said whom started it. Then followed up by what Globe said as below. To add to the convo, I added Question, why would there be silence? Is this something over the years you have noticed Globe? Of which Globe said to ask Enteebee. Which I did, no reply was is fine so as said Id take a guess. If no one wants to answer the seemingly obvious, no skin off my nose. Its just convo after all this is a racing forum. And again I never started this thread in first instance

On 11/17/2021 at 3:53 PM, Royal Nod said:

With it looking likely Dexter will be the leading money earning driver in the USA again this season, and therefore likely he will be voted by the USTA as top driver of the 2021 season  I think HRNZ should be looking to get this news onto mainstream sports news TV.

What other sport is there where a New Zealander is basically top of their profession in the world and it gets ignored by the mainstream media as has happened the last 2 years?

Is Dave Di Somma still working for HRNZ?   When he started there he managed to get Harness Racing stories on the TV news but there has been nothing of late apart from Cup Day.

On 11/17/2021 at 4:35 PM, Globederby19 said:

Send them an Email. The silence will be deafening.

Edited by karrotsishere

6 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

I never start this thread. To go back here is what Nod said whom started it. Then followed up by what Globe said as below. To add to the convo, I added Question, why would there be silence? Is this something over the years you have noticed Globe? Of which Globe said to ask Enteebee. Which I did, no reply was is fine so as said Id take a guess. If no one wants to answer the seemingly obvious, no skin off my noise. Its just convo after all this is a racing forum after all. And again I never started this thread in first instance

I know you did not start this conversation, but was just replying to the last post, and expand my thoughts on the subject in general.

10 minutes ago, Double R said:

I know you did not start this conversation, but was just replying to the last post, and expand my thoughts on the subject in general.

Ok cool. Ill reply to a bit from one of your posts to keep the convo going. This bit.

36 minutes ago, Double R said:

In racing, there are things that seem to be unfair, and unsportsperson like, and if we don't like it, we can always spend our leisure dollar somewhere else. We are not forced to race horses or gamble.

This is a big red flag for me. Based on the way the industry is in current free fall. North going first then the South. Then be lights off the last out the door. 

3 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Ok cool. Ill reply to a bit from one of your posts to keep the convo going. This bit.

This is a big red flag for me. Based on the way the industry is in current free fall. North going first then the South. Then be lights off the last out the door. 

Perhaps, being a self confessed optimist, I continue to support horse racing ownership, as it is my passion, and want to contribute my wee bit, as I am delighted you have too Karrots, to see if we can keep the lights on for a bit longer. Hopeful long enough, until my lights go out!!!

2 hours ago, Double R said:

Perhaps, being a self confessed optimist, I continue to support horse racing ownership, as it is my passion, and want to contribute my wee bit, as I am delighted you have too Karrots, to see if we can keep the lights on for a bit longer. Hopeful long enough, until my lights go out!!!

Here the thing tho. Lets start with some facts. Harness is in decline. Harness used to be popular. Back in the day. Today however 2021 not so popular.

Lets take a look at the age bracket that I fit into lets widen it out to 18-45. 

So we have the year 2021 - and harness is not as popular. Tracks have been closing, numbers are down, the North is struggling etc. We have a new participant to the industry as an owner who fits into the age bracket. 1 bad experience or a build up of smaller negative experiences & that person will be out like a flash. Whilst I find it all fun for now, & entertainment. Would I continue on, no def not. I could walk away with a heartbeat with not a bother to look back. Many other things around for me to invest time, money, emotion & energy in.

Not like those that have been in the industry for years & would put up with this seemingly old attitude. But is that where the future is?

Harness NZ is not in a position in this day to ignore calls or feedback etc. A realistic re-adjustment in attitude is needed (which had thought they had recently that it had changed ... ) NZ is a small enough country as it is, not like USA which there is always another customer around the corner & its much easier & cheaper to retain customers than to have to get new ones. 

16 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Here the thing tho. Lets start with some facts. Harness is in decline. Harness used to be popular. Back in the day. Today however 2021 not so popular.

Lets take a look at the age bracket that I fit into lets widen it out to 18-45. 

So we have the year 2021 - and harness is not as popular. Tracks have been closing, numbers are down, the North is struggling etc. We have a new participant to the industry as an owner who fits into the age bracket. 1 bad experience or a build up of smaller negative experiences & that person will be out like a flash. Whilst I find it all fun for now, & entertainment. Would I continue on, no def not. I could walk away with a heartbeat with not a bother to look back. Many other things around for me to invest time, money, emotion & energy in.

Not like those that have been in the industry for years & would put up with this seemingly old attitude. But is that where the future is?

Harness NZ is not in a position in this day to ignore calls or feedback etc. A realistic re-adjustment in attitude is needed (which had thought they had recently that it had changed ... ) NZ is a small enough country as it is, not like USA which there is always another customer around the corner & its much easier & cheaper to retain customers than to have to get new ones. 

Totally Agree Karrots.

Life is different these days compared to the past, when harness racing was an alternative for people to going to dances on Saturday nights, and when night trotting came in the early 1960's, it was another social event that was available, with the added opportunity to have a bet. Also up until then, there was no TV, so radio was the only form of audio information.

If the elected, and selected administrators make incorrect decisions, and choose the wrong path, then many of them, along with you and I will still survive, but it is the product, the horse, that you and I buy into, and the services that are then be required to produce the horse on the track, race day services, including betting, catering etc.,  will be the ones who will suffer most.

Of course, it something I do not want happen, well, at least until Karrots gets here first winner!!!

• Thanks 1

The people responsible for content on the sports news would have no idea what Dexter is up to or may not even know who he is.  It’s up to HRNZ to inform them and get these types of stories out there.   Dave Di Somma who works or did work for HRNZ was good at that when he started obviously using his contacts from when he worked at TVNZ.    I think he may not be there anymore as I haven’t noticed him doing any stories lately.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Double R said:

Life is different these days compared to the past

I was watching an old rerun of All In The Family this week and noticed in a scene shot in a bar that all  the photos on the wall were of Harness Horses.  Have noticed a similar thing on reruns of The Fugitive.   Just shows how prominent Harness Racing was as a sport back in the 60s USA

8 minutes ago, Royal Nod said:

I was watching an old rerun of All In The Family this week and noticed in a scene shot in a bar that all  the photos on the wall were of Harness Horses.  Have noticed a similar thing on reruns of The Fugitive.   Just shows how prominent Harness Racing was as a sport back in the 60s USA

You may have noticed some of the horses in the old cowboy movies were converted harness horses, for both wagon, and ridden type activities.

18 hours ago, Royal Nod said:

The people responsible for content on the sports news would have no idea what Dexter is up to or may not even know who he is.  It’s up to HRNZ to inform them and get these types of stories out there.   Dave Di Somma who works or did work for HRNZ was good at that when he started obviously using his contacts from when he worked at TVNZ.    I think he may not be there anymore as I haven’t noticed him doing any stories lately.  

Did a quick search & nothing came up beyond May 2021. Search may have missed an article or 2. So not sure, but I don't recall seeing anything with his name this month published on HRNZ.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Double R said:

Okay, I am sorry,I will delete my post.

If you have time maybe just do another search. You might find something that Nod and I have missed. Looking for the latest article written by the journo mentioned for HRNZ. To see if he still works at HRNZ. I can't recall anything from him in month of Nov thats from memory. But did a search and found an article either April or May 2021.

You maybe able to find something after that. Point being Nod said that he was really good at getting HRNZ news into sport news as he used to work for the news. 

14 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

If you have time maybe just do another search. You might find something that Nod and I have missed. Looking for the latest article written by the journo mentioned for HRNZ. To see if he still works at HRNZ. I can't recall anything from him in month of Nov thats from memory. But did a search and found an article either April or May 2021.

You maybe able to find something after that. Point being Nod said that he was really good at getting HRNZ news into sport news as he used to work for the news. 

How about you ring HRNZ and ask them, if he is still there, and mention how you enjoyed his articles, and connection to mainstream media?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Double R said:

How about you ring HRNZ and ask them, if he is still there, and mention how you enjoyed his articles, and connection to mainstream media?

DR. Again, this is Nods thread and I am purely just trying to help Nod out. NO I do not want to ring HRNZ. Again no skin off my nose. Gee I don't know, lighten up a bit.

PS And NO it was not me that mentioned he had/has a connection to mainstream media. I did not know that. It was Nod that said that. So No it is not something I would ring and say to them. 

Edited by karrotsishere

4 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

DR. Again, this is Nods thread and I am purely just trying to help Nod out. NO I do not want to ring HRNZ. Again no skin off my nose. Gee I don't know, lighten up a bit.

Okay, all good.

I was only trying to lead you in a direction that might have assisted Nod, or perhaps Nod might want to ring them.

On 11/17/2021 at 3:53 PM, Royal Nod said:

Hi Nod.

Here is the contact information for David Di Somma, if you want to contact him.

Dave Di Somma
Harness News Desk Content Manager
Tel +64 3 964 1200 ext 819
Mob +64 21 316 966
Email david.disomma@hrnz.co.nz