The Race Place

Mohaka

Hesi

A bit of comment(pocket talk I suspect) on another channel, about how poorly this horse was handled at Rotorua yesterday, and should have won with a leg in the air.  Good horse but appeared well beaten by almost 4 lengths and had no more to offer, just not good enough on the day

Lemmy Douglas the jockey, claiming 4 kg again, then came out in the last, allowed Red Inferno to get tailed off by 5 lengths at the 800m, but came through nicely and win easily.

That's racing, if it was all logical, everyone could pick the card

I would suggest there were mitigating circumstances such as a slightly slow jump from the barrier - copped a bump and a shuffle up shortly afterwards and didn't have a lot of room for most of the run.

You could argue he could have tried to improve on the inside but who is to know if his riding instructions were avoid the inside at all costs - hard for a 4kg claimer (experienced or inexperienced) to make the call to ignore the instructions (if they were given) at this stage of his flat career.

What he did in the next race is irrelevant as he could have had completely different instructions.

The biggest red light for me was why you would expect them to flog the horse to win a midweek worth $12k when it quite clearly has the ability to win in stakes company on a Saturday - I would suggest the run will benefit it and it will be ready for a Saturday assignment next rather a $12k midweek option.

Also please note - in no way am I impugning or casting aspersions at the trainers and jockey - not my style and not my intention at all and I get upset when I see that type of sh*t. Just an observation based on 30+ years in the game.

• Like 2